Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Come on BBCE

I know everyone here loves BBCE but this latest statement from their Facebook Page could not be more false:

BBCE may be the kings of vintage unopened, but we're also the leader of modern unopened too.

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I haven't followed un-opened stuff in a while. If BBCE isn't then who is ?

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    What year does modern start? If it's 1980, then they have a case.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What year does modern start? If it's 1980, then they have a case. >>

Actually they have lots of cases image
  • Options
    I thought this statement on their Facebook Page was awesome:

"What was shocking was the price. A 10" cheesesteak, fries, and a regular soft drink cost $17! I guess if you have customers lining up 24 hours a day for your food, you can charge whatever you want.”
  • Options
    The 2003 and older boxes section in baseball has 4 boxes on the blowout cards site. Football 2002 and older has zero boxes. That's 4 boxes in 22 years of modern for fb and bb.   I have 10 times that for those years. There are probably 5 members selling more on the bst forum right now. Even if modern starts at 89 upper deck, blowout is blown out. If modern starts at 2008, then blowout is ready to fight and win, but that's not my understanding of the term.

Do you think it's Dave and Adams?
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I thought this statement on their Facebook Page was awesome:

"What was shocking was the price. A 10" cheesesteak, fries, and a regular soft drink cost $17! I guess if you have customers lining up 24 hours a day for your food, you can charge whatever you want.” >>

I wonder if he tried to leverage his position in the hobby to get a better price or get to the front of the line.
  • Options
    I guess it does depend on your definition of modern but I think we can all agree that 2014 falls under modern. I did a quick search on D and A and BBCE sites

D and A 2014 sports boxes: 195 different
    BBCE 2014 Sports boxes: 0

D and A 2014 sports cases: 96 different
    BBCE 2014 sports cases: 0

BBCE deserves a lot of the love they get here but claiming to be a leader in modern sports cards is a flat out lie.
  • Options
    Edit to reduce to simply saying that I think calling them liars is harsh considering the nonsensical definition of "modern" that this hobby has.
  • Options
    You know what they say about men who want to claim that they are the best at something.

It's a small matter, so I won't bring it up image
  • Options

<< <i>Edit to reduce to simply saying that I think calling them liars is harsh considering the nonsensical definition of "modern" that this hobby has. >>

Can we agree that anyone claiming to be a leader in unopened modern sports cards should have more than zero boxes of the current year in stock?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>You know what they say about men who want to claim that they are the best at something.

It's a small matter, so I won't bring it up image >>

I see what you did there.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Can we agree that anyone claiming to be a leader in unopened modern sports cards should have more than zero boxes of the current year in stock? >>

No, not unless you define modern as 2014.

That said, yes, I would expect they would have SOME 2014 boxes in stock... but it doesn't make or break their claim of being "a leader in unopened modern sports cards".

People draw the line at different points, but I think most would agree 1990 and on qualifies as modern, and I would guess BBCE carries more boxes than anyone else from 1990-current.

Snorto~

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides, now that they have a storefront I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before they're fielding preorders.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why I even bothered to reply.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    Unopened boxes on D and A site from year 2012 - 324

Your site: 58
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unopened boxes on D and A site from year 2012 - 324

Your site: 58 >>

He just posted that they don't choose to stock product from the last 12-18 months on the BBCE site, so you're going to have to go back a bit further than that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

DA - 153
    BBCE - 44

Look none of these really concerns me all that much and I'm sure I'm now considered a BBCE hater. That is not true. I just find it absurd to claim that your company is "the" not "a" leader in modern unopened when it's clearly untrue. Not carrying current products makes perfect sense to me, seems like a good business decision on their part. But if you saw an ad for a company with the claim that they were the leader in modern unopened, would you not think they would have some products from the current year? I think you would.
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Nothing to see here, folks, move along.......
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options
    I think you've check-mated them PMKAY with your stats.

This coming from neither a BBCE lover or hater. If your numbers are correct, then it's not a true advertising statement.
  • Options

<< <i>2010

DA - 153
    BBCE - 44

Look none of these really concerns me all that much and I'm sure I'm now considered a BBCE hater. That is not true. I just find it absurd to claim that your company is "the" not "a" leader in modern unopened when it's clearly untrue. Not carrying current products makes perfect sense to me, seems like a good business decision on their part. But if you saw an ad for a company with the claim that they were the leader in modern unopened, would you not think they would have some products from the current year? I think you would. >>

You have to play this out to the beginning of modern if you are going to make a valid argument.

I don't think you are a bbce hater, I think you are applying what you feel the meaning of modern should be to a place where it has an established alternate meaning. I agree with you that it should mean more recent years, but it doesn't. I actually think the hobbies usage is outright silly, but it's not up to me.
  • Options
    This is what I believe: Whoever "the leader in modern" unopened boxes of sports cards is - they should have product from the current year. If they don't they cannot be considered the leader. That company can still be great/awesome/wonderful/ etc but a leader in that field they are not.
  • Options
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I can't comment on "the" leader or what constitutes "modern", but I can say, I was always surprised they didn't have the current year listed on web site, but a simple call, allowed me to buy as much 2014 as I needed. So they clearly have it.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Reed was just making a statement on the FB page.

It's a matter of opinion.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Travis Henry ran for 1,438 yards in 2002 compared to Emmitt Smith's 975 yards.

So how can anyone say Emmitt Smith is the NFL's all-time leading rusher?

Snorto~
  • Options
    Them bats is smart they use radar
  • Options
    There is something called puffery.

There is also something called a leash.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a true advertising statement >>

Isn't that an oxymoron?
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I consider 'modern' to be 1980 and newer, so yeah BBCE's claim to being a 'leader' in modern wax is a true statement,
    in my opinion.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised this thread is still going...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoever is the leader in selling unopened from 2013-14 is also the leader in making the least amount of profit margin.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoever is the leader in selling unopened from 2013-14 is also the leader in making the least amount of profit margin. >>

+1......hilarious