Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Dateline... June 28th... Sarajevo

Today is the 100th anniversary of the shots that sparked off WW1 and changed the 20th century and the whole world forever.

A major historical milestone, in other words.

So what's this marathon of shows the History Channel is running to mark that anniversary?

Swamp People.

So you can watch modern-day redneck Cajun people shooting alligators.

Again and again and again.

All. Day. Long.

I liked them better when they were the "Hitlery Channel", playing "all Hitler, all the time." At least then they were focusing on history, if only the more gruesome and sensationalized aspects of it.

The "History" Channel and its love of white trash, redneck pseudo-reality shows sucks so bad it actually makes me angry. At least you Brits have the BBC. I know they've put out their own share of craptastic television shows, but the USA rules the world in trash TV.

Geez. I got all tied up in my rant. Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah. World War One. The Great War.

Post your 1914-1918 coins and tokens, and reflect on that momentous day in Sarajevo, exactly a century ago, which changed everything.

I have a cool piece of WW1 German kriegsgeld I found in a token lot. Will post it later, when I get pictures.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I am short on imaged material from 1914-1918 presently, here is the world as it was in the final days before it entered the 20th century whirlwind.

A coin struck by Saxony, under the soon-to-be-doomed German Empire, commemorating another centenary of another battle in another war which turned Europe upside-down, a century before. So just as we're looking back at them with the hindsight of a century, they were looking back at the Napoleonic Wars a century before them.

Ever wonder what the stuff we leave behind will say to the people of 2114 AD? I do. I love history. And coins are a neat, tangible window to view it through, aren't they?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Yes it is.-the assassination of Austrian Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie.

That's a gorgeous piece Lord....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austria 1 Krone 1914

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Interesting Saxony piece. That was a war that Saxony lost and lost some of its territory.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's a 1916 Imperial German 3 Kopek, used in occupied Poland, western Russia, and the Baltic states.