Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

It was a busy week (scans galore)... do not click here if you are tired of unopened or don't like Bi

Now, all of these cards were not purchased this week. They just all happened to get delivered this week. It was a busy mailday at the office.

First we'll get the unopened out of the way. Four boxes came in a BBCE shipment this week. Eagerly awaiting these. The 87 FB wax box is a nice non X-out variety (now I've got two). I don't know why, but I've always liked the design and colors of this box. It was the first ever full box of cards I opened as a kid, maybe that has something to do with it. The 81 BB wax box I snagged off of the BBCE site. I recently traded my 81 BB wax box, so this re-completes my 80's Topps BB run. The rack box is 1981 FB. It is my first FB rack box and I couldn't be more excited. I am beginning a new project of 80's FB rack boxes and this one is a great one to start with. Finally, my 75 mini wax box. Very excited to finally get this one home. Love all the RC's (Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice, Lynn, Hernandez) and the great design. Couldn't be happier to finally snag one.

Now onto some cards!

I don't know if I paid too much for it and I don't care. I didn't even know this card existed until I saw it at auction. The ultimate impulse buy. My first ever Bill Russell autograph. I am a huge basketball fan so I figured I needed to get a Russell auto at some point. The card is sharp. Not sure why it's a 9 and not a 10. Oh well, that probably saved me some money.

I am working on an Andrew Luck PSA 10 collection. I went from none of this variation to two in one week!

I am also a big Kevin Durant fan and I have been working on a PSA 10 RC collection of his. Here's a little color from the 2007 Topps set. I have been looking for an Orange for a while. I had the black one already, but I am a sucker for a decent deal and combined shipping.

I already posted these two in my thread about my first ever PSA 10 submissions. I don't care. I love these guys. Here they are again. Unibrow!

I also picked up another PSA 10 auto of AD from a Probstein auction that arrived this week.

After reading NickM's posts detailing his casebreaking experiences, I have jumped on board. I have had mixed success with basketball. I was going to give up on the whole idea, but I decided to give it a go in baseball. I won one slot in each of two breaks and got major hits on both. A couple of major prospect autos!

If you got here. Thanks for reading and looking through my long post. I love sharing additions to my collection on here.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Quite the haul there! Congrats on all the new wax and singles!

Matt
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Steve. Nice snag on the 81 FB rack box.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pickups Steve. I agree with Mark that the 1981 Topps Football rack box was a nice get. Congrats!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Steve, congrats on the great pick-ups!! I love following the evolution of your collection.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Excuse my ignorance, what are the pose variations on the Luck? Both photos look the same to me.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt--thanks for the words of encouragement.

Mike and Mark--thanks for the kind words and both of your help in getting me into the unopened world to begin with. Mark, without the group rips, I probably never catch the unopened bug. And Mike, without your thoughtful posts and PMs I probably don't know half of what I do now about unopened.

John--it has been fun adding to my collection. I think a lot of our collections have parallels. It's about time to see an update from youimage I'm also looking forward to this coming week's deliveries. Thanks again!

Reggie--I hear you on the variations thing with modern cards. The only reason I know about some of Luck's variations is because I collect him. Perhaps someone can educate me on the two cards above. I believe the two cards above are the same card, one is just mislabeled by PSA. I didn't notice the mislabel until I received the card. There is at least one other variation of the same card in which Andrew Luck is picturesque in a more close up picture where he is passing the ball from the pocket. I will try and post a scan of the two side by side in a bit.
    Steve
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well either way, great haul! image
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Steve, I should have an update next weekend. I am not going to the National Convention, so I spent my budget for it on some nice stuff. I am waiting for the rest of it to arrive next week, then I will post it. There is a nice mixture of unopened, graded, and raw.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Steve ... congrats on your new items. You can tell how excited you are to get these items. THAT'S what collecting is all about. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug--thanks. I definitely get fired up for my new pickups. I love your auto thread. Sometimes I'll click on it just to check out the amazing stuff you've posted over the years! No one cares too much at home about my pickups so it is nice to share here.

Matt--what do you collect? Are you a fellow basketball collector (judging by your avatar)? We are outnumbered on these boards it seems so it is nice to see another hoops guy around here.

Reggie--here is the other Topps card of Andrew Luck. I believe the one below is the regular issue for the set and the ones above are the short printed variations.
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Andrew Luck/2012ToppsAndrewLuckPassingSidewaysPSA1922243435_zps4b5ee9a6.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Steve
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice additions, absolutely love the 81 racks... favorite pack type, favorite football set. Had my eye on one in the last HA auction, but have been focused more on Cubs memorabilia the last six months or so.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick-ups! Question on the Antony Davis sigs - do they look to you like they were signed by three different people? They are so different from one another. If you looked at my signature from when I got my first job to today, you wouldn't see nearly that much difference. Crazy.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Very cool pick ups you got there.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases