Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Newest Pick Up.....The Big Train

Just received this "Big Train" today in the mail. Was super stoked to get this card. The front is just gorgeous with a little paper loss on the back on the 2nd E of Sweet to knock the grade to SGC 40. I will take these cards all day long. This card reminds me a lot of the Ruth that Nathan picked up at the National.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW great Walter
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet card Mark. Congrats on the WJ
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    WAWAWEEWAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice card, nice presentation.
  • Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭
    thats a beaut, there. congrats!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the terrific card!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly superior eye appeal for the grade, Mark! Congrats on an awesome pickup!! All of your t-206s have been very sharp!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Just gorgeous! That's the best Sweft Caporal Johnson I have ever seen!!image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    image---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!! Congrats.

Shawn
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    That's a very nice card Mark. It pays to be patient, you have really scored some nice cards while putting together the Monster.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Epic player from an epic set... and in the running for the board's highest eye appeal from the lowest grade unofficial contest. Paper loss is a true collector's friend. Congrats on the find!

Snorto~
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Conan O'Brien!!!!!
  • Options
    Sweet Card!
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card!.......perhaps the greatest pitcher of all time.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding card. Great eye. A card like that deserves a better scanner. image
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Great stuff, Mark!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a baseball card! Been looking for one of those recently myself. Gorgeous example. Cards like that, with fronts that rival and surpass much higher examples, are thrilling finds.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. This is what collecting is all about. You find a card you really like and are able to share it with your buds......albeit on the boards vs in person but it has the same effect. My two daughters were like, "eh, who's the old guy".....LOL.

As tough as it is to find the true "best example" of a card, in my opinion, it is just as hard to find a card like this. They are out there but they don't come up for sale as often as you would think.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Outstanding card. Great eye. A card like that deserves a better scanner. image >>

I know what you mean Reg......my scanner is HORRIBLE. I have to get a new one.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Outstanding card. Great eye. A card like that deserves a better scanner. image >>

I know what you mean Reg......my scanner is HORRIBLE. I have to get a new one.

Mark >>

May I suggest a Canon perhaps? image

Btw, awesome pickup Mark. That is one sharp looking card.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    As beautiful of a card as it gets. Definitely in my Top 5 All Time favorite tobacco cards. Congrats!!
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As tough as it is to find the true "best example" of a card, in my opinion, it is just as hard to find a card like this. They are out there but they don't come up for sale as often as you would think.

Mark >>

Call me crazy for not basing my opinion on the numerical scale used by pro graders, but I think your card is among the best examples. We collectors were never present at the round table where the arbitrary grading standards were decided upon and codified. I think there are actually many collectors who would say your card is superior to many in holders with a higher number on the sticker. Not just in terms of the aesthetic of the front, with that great centering and subject image clarity and bold color, but when you factor in what that very same front would cost without the back issue, you're saving thousands upon thousands and beholding a superb image every time you sit down to hold it and enjoy it. That makes your example a tremendous value, and perhaps one of a kind in that regard, or very close to it. Not to mention, should you ever go nuts and decide to sell it, you'll probably find a ton of buyers, as opposed to the relatively smaller buying pool of those seeking a PSA 7 or 8.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Congrats on the pick up Mark
    Gorgeous card.
  • Options
    Wow! 2 threads on the first page that show 2 great board members newest pick ups!! It's like Christmas this morning. This is what these boards should be more about and less complaining on repeat issues. I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing Mark.
  • Options
    Awesome card.