Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scanner opinions-Epson Perfection V37

Just purchased one. Anyone out there own one? Is it an adequate model for card scans? Any tips are appreciated.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome for standard card stock, but the multiple-LED light sources make it tough to scan foil, chrome, or refractor cards without streaks of light.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Is there a "perfect" scanner for PSA slabbed cards, or is it more a matter of a good scanner and good software?

I've been through a few and clearly CCD is tons better. Been using a Canoscan 5600 for a while and the pics are sharp, but generally bright at default and I have a good scratch on the glass, so I have been thinking of a new one.

Anyone using a Canoscan 9000 mkII or an Epson V550 or V600 (good, widely used scanner, looking more for info on the 550 as it is newer).
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Epson V33 is the best possible scanner for cards.

<$80 shipped typically. I have attached a raw scan and graded scan of mine.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's all about the right components in the scanner. The best scanners have CCD elements and Xenon tube lights. The Epson 30 and 300 series - which are virtually identical save the fact that the 300 series scanners can develop slides and negatives - have multiple LED lights on the scanning element...these multiple light sources cause light streaks when each light is reflected off of a shiny surface. On cardboard it's awesome though; the 30 and 300 series have some of the highest resolutions and one of the best out of the box softwares available.

HP makes a lot of really high-end scanners with a Xenon tube. I really recommend having 2 scanners, one like the Epson 30/300 and one with a nice light. Each has their strong points.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who responded. Will go with my present purchase and see how it turns out.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Without me having to search previous threads, does the V33 need any settings changed or is it ready to go out of the box?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the Epson Perfection V550 and absolutely love it. You can set it up differently depending on what you're scanning (slab, raw, pack, etc) and save each in a drop-down box for easy scanning. I'm by no means a tech wiz and had no problem figuring it out and playing with the settings.
  • Options
    Just bought the Epson V33 on Amazon.
    I look forward to using it….I don't look forward to having to rescan all my cards!

• Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Just bought the epson v33 . Will start loading cards
  • Options

<< <i>Without me having to search previous threads, does the V33 need any settings changed or is it ready to go out of the box? >>

Just got one as well, also interested to know what are the best settings. Seems to do very nice out of the box but not as clear as the
    above example so there must be some setting adjustments I need to set, any info will be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    I did a little research of previous threads and this is what I found. Scanner

One of the last posts by Zep33 might be the most helpful.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Bluejayway or anyone else that can chime in...just bought the V37 and can't wait to get home from my day job...haha. Any advice before I take it out of the box tonight? I'm really hoping it's pretty push button ready as I plan to scan to email. Any feedback for me would be huge!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    I own an Epson V330 and love the scans it can make. For slabbed cards I use the following setttings:

Professional Mode
    Document type: Reflective
    Auto Exposure type : Photo
    48-bit color with 350 dpi (easily qualifies for number of pixels requested by ebay to upload pics and doesn't make the file way too big)
    Unsharp mask is checked on and set at MEDIUM
    All other options are left unchecked but sometimes check dust removal if necessary
    Brightness: flat (0)
    Contrast: Front of slabbed card usually between 12-16 depending on how much the individual card takes to restore proper/natural color. For the back it's usually less and sometimes needs to be set at "0" to remain natural, especially for vintage cards.
    Saturation: Usually between 8-14 for the front and back should be lower generally and again sometimes "0" looks most natural.
    The zero settings for the backs of cards are usually for black and white print only or if they is a blank back to the card, but always test out settings in preview mode and decide which looks like your card better.

I have played around with all the settings, including the histogram adjustment and you can achieve similar results in the end by working with it, but I find this the quickest and easiest to do when scanning multiple cards.
    You don't want to set the contrast and saturation too high or you will be enhancing the true/natural look of the card, but you want to provide a clear, crisp scan of the card where the colors naturally pop to represent how the card truly looks.

For raw cards I prefer to use less dpi, around 250, but if it is a small vintage card it may not have that many pixels to it. You may have to play around with the preview scans.

Overall I'm very happy with this scanner and get many compliments on my scans.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Contrast: Front of slabbed card usually between 12-16 >>

Do you have any scans of PSA graded cards with your above setting? I would be interested in seeing them because that sounds really high.

I understand it's a relative to what card you are scanning but in my experience, with the contrast setting that high, the red in the flip looks radioactive.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff chase the cup...you helped me out.

I haven't figured out yet how to push button email without using the computer yet and not sure I can but that was my interest in a one stop shop...for now the scanner to laptop is nice.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd