Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Food/special issues

I miss the days when baseball cards were issued in and on food boxes, as special brand mail-ins, etc. I still find myself looking at certain products from time to time, hoping that baseball cards will be inside or available as a mail-in offer. Is there such a thing as a food issue these days? Do they still do that anywhere?

Comments

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Recently, I've seen bags of oranges with hockey cards in them up here in Canada. Cards are usually destroyed before you even open the bag.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Recently, I've seen bags of oranges with hockey cards in them up here in Canada. Cards are usually destroyed before you even open the bag. >>

Yeah, I'd have to go out on a limb here and say that's not a very bright idea. I wonder what genius thought to do that? haha
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Recently, I've seen bags of oranges with hockey cards in them up here in Canada. Cards are usually destroyed before you even open the bag.

Sounds like any PSA 10 quality cards that escape the orange crush might be worth somethingimage
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Recently, I've seen bags of oranges with hockey cards in them up here in Canada. Cards are usually destroyed before you even open the bag.

Sounds like any PSA 10 quality cards that escape the orange crush might be worth somethingimage >>

You would think in Canada they would somehow package cards with their beer??
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I miss the days when baseball cards were issued in and on food boxes, as special brand mail-ins, etc. I still find myself looking at certain products from time to time, hoping that baseball cards will be inside or available as a mail-in offer. Is there such a thing as a food issue these days? Do they still do that anywhere? >>

I still look too. I have a ton of these things. I never see anything down south anymore. I have lots of Mother's Cookies, Kraft, M&M's, Hostess, Church's Chicken, Denny's, a few Tombstone, French's Mustard, Post, Kellogg's, and on and on. I wish there were a few that would come back from time to time.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember from the mid-90's cereal boxes had TOPPS cards and another cereal product set with Banks,Killebrew,and others. Can't remember the cereal names. In my collection I'll have to dig out the cereal boxes with the TOPPS cards. I know they were in celophane wrap. There was also a 90's issue with baseball players with their pet dog, I think, that was a free insert in a product.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> There was also a 90's issue with baseball players with their pet dog, I think, that was a free insert in a product. >>

1993 Milkbone's
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> There was also a 90's issue with baseball players with their pet dog, I think, that was a free insert in a product. >>

1993 Milkbone's >>

Thanks for jogging my memory. Got a few of these somewhere.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you mention those, I loved getting those cards and just came across some a few days ago that I saved as a kid. Jimmy Dean, LJS, Kelloggs, Post, Denny's, Advil, French's, Duracell and Coke. I loved collecting unopened back then too.

• Options
    I love those oddball sets too! I probably have a thousand of various ones. The Dominos QB Club cards from the early 90s were one of my favorites.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Some of those Kellogg's baseball cards had Canadian variations which just meant that there was french writing on the back.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    With my vintage graded sets slow going, I've been putting together a bunch of newer raw sets, including many food releases. Most of them are surprisingly inexpensive, but I really like the oddball stuff.

1970 Kelloggs:

1972 Chiquita NFL slides, slide viewer (think View Master), and advertisement:

1974 Wonder Bread:

1975 McDonald's Quarter Backs:

1975 Wonder Bread & Playbook:

1976 Buckman's Ice Cream Discs:

1976 Crane Potato Chips Discs:

1976 Popsicle Team Cards (including the incredibly tough header card!):

1976 Wonder Bread:

1982 Kelloggs Panels:

1984 7-11 Super Star Sports Coins:

1986 McDonald's All-Stars (gold tabs shown - also come in black, green, & blue tabs):

1991 Dominos Quarterback Challenge (you're welcome Dan image):

1995 Tombstone Classic Quarterbacks:

1996 Pinnacle Bimbo Breads (Mexico):

1996 Jimmy Dean All-Time Greats Autographs (Steve Largent, Bart Starr, & Gale Sayers are also in the set):

I think that's most of the food related sets I have completed to date, but I am still working on a bunch of others.

Hopefully some other people will fire up their scanners and share some more sets?

Snorto~

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I am trying to get a copy of Roberto Garza (C, Bears) from the 2008 R Super Foods set. Esoteric, I know but I work with Robert's sister so I thought it would be fun to collect his stuff. I tried to get some from that company but they want to sell you the whole box of nutritionally enhanced donuts and because they don't use preservatives the shipping has to be fast and is ridiculously expensive. We're talking like $70 dollars shipping for a box of health donuts. I'm good, no thanks. LOL.

http://brs236.americaneagle.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4563&print=yes
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases