Home Testing Forum

~ Savoyspecial swap?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, let's crunch numbers.

(I'm recycling an old sunken Testing Forum thread for this, since the captcha code has a way of dumping my long and intricate PMs in the wee hours.
Don't respond here, or you'll bump the thread back up into the sunlight.)

First, your coin.

Cost? You said it was closer to $1,000 than $750.
Strong money, perhaps, but if the eye appeal is there, maybe that is warranted.
I can't wait to see what Jeremy can do with the imaging.

Numismedia trends = $940.00.
PCGS trends = $795.00.
Average between Numismedia & PCGS = $872.50.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next, my three.

French Colonies sou.

My cost: originally $200.00, but ended up being less due to a refund I got because of the long shipping delay.

PCGS trends = $175.00 in F12, $195.00 in F15, $240.00 in VF20.
    I'm hoping it will go at least F15 at PCGS. Those results should be coming back any day now.

No Numismedia trend data.

1851 large cent.

My cost = $285.00.

PCGS trends = $375.00

Numismedia trends = $375.00.

Average between Numismedia & PCGS trends = $375.00.

1880 proof 3cN.

My cost = $360.00.

Numismedia trends = $425.00.

PCGS trends = $450.00.

Average between Numismedia & PCGS trends = $437.50.

So, taking the average Numismedia and PCGS trend prices for all four coins (your one, my three, and assuming F15 on the French piece to split it down the middle, we come up with:

Yours: $872.50

Mine: 195.00 + 375.00 + 437.50 = $1,007.50.

Looks like the scales tip in my favor. At least based on the current plastic grades.

So it looks like we'll need to get your trime in a PR64 holder first, or adjust the deal.

IF your trime ever goes PR64, the scales tip a bit in your favor, since Numismedia trends on your coin in PR64 is $1,110 and PCGS trends in PR64 are $1,150, for an average of $1,130. But that's counting chickens before they're hatched. I know your coin is lovely- I can tell that much even from the cellphone pix- but let's not forget that my 3c piece is also a lovely proof, and a "just missed CAM" PQ example, in my own opinion.

All of this is just my initial impression, of course. ("Thinking out loud".) I'm happy to haggle- er- negotiate it out. image

Certainly I am OK with swapping my large cent and 3cN for your coin (IF Jeremy's glamor shots show me the proper eye appeal), and then adding a little something on my side of the scales.

But if that addition to my side of the scales is the French piece, then it tips back and you come up a bit light and we need to add something on your side.

But hey, we can hash this out. It's more fun to do in person in Michael's man cave, but with a little typing, it can be done in cyberspace, right? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.