Home Precious Metals
Options

What do you consider the "sweet spot" for metals pricing, saving or transacting?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you thought about the most desireable size of a silver coin, based on current silver prices - what size (or price) represents the sweet spot for you?

Same Question with respect to gold - what size coin or what price represents the "sweet spot" that is the most convenient to buy or sell, or to use as a savings vehicle?

Example - D.Carr makes a 1/20th oz silver round that contains approx. $1.00 worth of silver. I don't consider that size very useful or practical for buying, selling, savings, or transacting. What is the best size for these uses - for both silver and gold?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you thought about the most desireable size of a silver coin, based on current silver prices - what size (or price) represents the sweet spot for you?

Same Question with respect to gold - what size coin or what price represents the "sweet spot" that is the most convenient to buy or sell, or to use as a savings vehicle?

Example - D.Carr makes a 1/20th oz silver round that contains approx. $1.00 worth of silver. I don't consider that size very useful or practical for buying, selling, savings, or transacting. What is the best size for these uses - for both silver and gold? >>

Coins/rounds---1 oz
    Bars---10 oz
    Makes the math easier.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one oz. ASEs in mint tubes
    quarter oz. AGEs

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

For silver mostly 90% half dollars so coins mainly. I'll accumulate ASE's but I won't pay a premium for them . With bars I think 10 oz or 1 kilo is the only size worth looking at. Smaller bars are silly and larger bars are illiquid.

For gold coins again but only fractional sized from 2 peso on the low end to 20 francs on the upper end. I also like big fat 14k wedding bands image

No interest whatsoever in gold bars or large gold coins , slabbed or proof of any sort.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    For gold, I like the 1/10 AGE. Easy to store, small enough to transport inconspicuously, small enough to transact trades without setting off alarms for the watcher bees, they are easy to find, and you can put 5 oz (50 of 'em) in a little coin tube that slides nicely into your pocket...what's not to like except that the premiums are something you have to be cautious of when getting some because the B&M's will hose you on these if they can so I use APMEX or some bulk seller.

For silver, I like the pucks. The pucks are possibly collectible (we'll see) they offer a nice size for transacting, not too hard to find, not too expensive, they stack nicely and...none of mine have developed any spots. Some premium attached at buying and you'll likely not get that back at your B&M. I've been getting mine at the mint and I could probably do a lot better on the purchase side of these but I'm lazy.

Other than that, I'm still loving vf+ walkers for stash bait.

Party ON!
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of 90% halfs. Those and 1oz rds are probably the bulk of my silver.

Gold, small stuff unfortunately (premiums): 1/10 1/4. Although I think my next yellows will be halfs or 50pesos.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a big fan of 90% halfs. Those and 1oz rds are probably the bulk of my silver.

Gold, small stuff unfortunately (premiums): 1/10 1/4. Although I think my next yellows will be halfs or 50pesos. >>

50 pesos? image

Mexican gold hockey pucks. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    In basic bullion trading, simply 1oz coins and bars. Brand name, silver eagles, new and clean, and 90% easily identifiable coinage, all seem to be a base standard. Makes sense that smaller gold in the same style is also recommended. But then, the derivations are endless, and lots of fun.

But who doesn't like variety and a sweet spot deal may mean $ or a piece you really like.
    COA
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I sold half my holdings during the last run, what I kept were poured bars, all sizes, and 90%. Couple months ago I entered lazy accumulation mode and started accumulating Silver Eagles. I remain in lazy accumulation so far sticking primarily with the Silver Eagles. I did score some 10 0Z Gieger bars. Unless, for reasons I cannot predict; I plan on sticking mainly with Silver Eagles.

Gold: Not really enough to list and haven't purchased any in years. During the last run I did not sell any of the Gold, oh well, what can I say, my bad. Take care. jws
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a big fan of 90% halfs. Those and 1oz rds are probably the bulk of my silver.

Gold, small stuff unfortunately (premiums): 1/10 1/4. Although I think my next yellows will be halfs or 50pesos. >>

50 pesos? image

Mexican gold hockey pucks. image >>

Ha, yeah! I just want one for the pirate chest, practicality be damned. image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of like asking if you like to buy shares in 1, 10, or 100 share increments.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I like my 90 percent in 1/2, 1/4 and dimes and my gold in 5 and 10 dollar libs. I try to buy from quite a few local sources incase I need to dump 5 or 10 or 20k at once. I prefer cash and want to get it done in just a few spots. Around here getting more than 10k cash from a dealer on the spot is not the easiest thing to do.

A few years back I went to heritage and unloaded 30k in silver and gold, I wanted cash but did not get it. The bank was out the door and a short walk to the next block. image

I buy with cash and like to be paid with cash on collectibles. I even prefer my paychecks in cash, cringe when I get a lot of checks from the renters some months.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"