Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cool thaler design I hadn't seen before

Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel "Bell" thaler

It's probably old news to most of the rest of you, particularly Zohar, but I had never seen one of these before.

(I'm not buying the coin in the link- just thought it was a cool design, is all. Would love to see a higher grade example.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been four listed on eBay in the XF range for quite some time.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I love that design. The 'Bell talers' were 1 year types struck in 1643 to commemorate negotiations to end the war, later known as the Thirty Year War. To recognize the historical moment, the town's bells rang to celebrate the end of the war rejoice those who had survived. A total of 7 varieties (1st bell through 7th bell) were struck in the 1 taler denomination.

The history books might argue that the war still raged for another few years until 1648, but the taler commemorates the active negotiations which ultimately led to the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. If you read up on the war, it is interesting to note that the total population of the german states was reduced by 15% to 30% and some regions such as Brandenburg lost over 50% of their population. Over 2,000 castles, 18,000 villages and 1,500 towns in Germany were destroyed.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And thus came the savior of the German people: the humble potato.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭