Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Hockey Post War HOF RCs Set

I was happy to see this set get added to the registry, but there are some surprising errors in it.

1. Yzerman's '84 OPC rookie should be available as an either/or option.

2. Serge Savard's rookie is '69 OPC, not '70 Topps/OPC

3. Jacques LaPerriere's '63 Parkhurst #27 card should be an either/or option. LaPerriere's #27 and #86 cards sell for nearly identical values in PSA 8, with #27 actually having a slight edge.

4. There should be options for Igor Larionov's rookie other than just OPC.

5. There should be options for Slava Fetisov's rookie other than just Score.

6. Tretiak and Kharlamov both have earlier issues than '79 Panini, but PSA has traditionally recognized these as rookie cards, so I doubt this will change.

There may be others, but these are the ones I found this far. I'll contact PSA about them and see what they can do.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tretjak (Tretiak) has multiple cards issued in 1970. The Williams Forlags 230 is sort of an In-Action card compared to the 314 card, so the 314 probably makes more sense. The Masterserien 131 card is basically a team card (handshake line, really). I like the 1970 Finnish one but it is harder to find than the 3 Swedish ones. There are of course many many Tretiak cards before the 1979 one, so 1979 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (see also, my Tretjak master set on the registry)

For Larionov, I do own the 1989 Swedish ones which are the earliest I have personally been able to come up with, but I believe there are some mid-80's Euro issue ones as well that really should be the correct RC rather than a 1990 NHL card.

Fetisov should be the 1979 Panini, no question there, definitely not the 1990 card.

• Options

I suppose if it were up to me I would accept any of the four 1970 Tretjak RC's, but if I had to cut it back, I'd accept a choice of either the 1970 Finnish or the 1970 Williams Forlags, not quite the same as a choice between OPC & Topps, but similar enough.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the 314 card as well. Here's mine:

Larionov has an '83 Swedish Semic card/sticker that I've been trying to get my hands on for years. An autographed one has been offered on eBay recently, but not an unsigned copy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I would go with the 1983 for the Larionov RC. It just seems entirely wrong to go with a 1990 in his case.

• Options

By the way, forgot to mention before that the RC for Charlamov (Kharlamov) should obviously be the 1969 Williams Forlags #1 card. Like w/ Tretjak, assigning the 1979 as a Rookie for the set registry is downright absurd.

• Options

Another change: Cammi Granato RC = 1993 Classic Hockey Draft #66

On a related note to that one, very soon, will need to add Haley Wickenheiser 1994 Classic Hockey - Team Canada Inserts #W13

For some of the players, Euro RC's can be many years before NHL RC's. This is the case for Sundin, Stastny, Kurri, Salming, and soon to be Lidstrom, to name a few. I view these guys' EuroRC's as maybe more relevant in the discussion than OHL/QMJHL/WHL/ECHL/AHL/NCAA/etc. minor hockey cards but not quite up with their NHL RC's (or WHA, which is totally appropriate in the case of Mark Howe). If it were me designing the rules for the set, I would allow the Pre-RC Euro cards as an optional placeholder as well, but I'm sure that would not happen as I'd be in the minority there.

These cases are vastly different however from the ones of Kharlamov, Tretjak, Fetisov, etc. where the players are in either largely weighted, or in some cases solely based, on their international play and not on NHL. It is for these players, the Russians specifically, that the Euro cards really should be the RC's in this composition.

• Options
    What is Lidstrom's Euro RC?
  • Options

1989 Swedish Semic Elitserien #247

• Options
    Can you post a picture of that Lidstrom card? Is it tough to find?
  • Options

Yes, they are tough to find, but it can be done. I'll post a picture soon after I have a chance to scan it. There is also one 1990 Swedish Lidstrom, 4 different 1991 Swedish Lidstrom cards, one 1991 Finnish, and one 1991 Czech. As of now, I've still not been able to track down a 1991 Czech Semic for myself.

• Options

• Options
    Thanks. That is a very cool card. How much do you think it's worth?
  • Options

The Beckett guide is no use beyond being a checklist. Their value is a lot higher than any guide lists.