Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Serious question: How do you through eBay sell coins to a country other than the United States?

With a few of my ancient auctions I had opened it up to allow for international buyers, however every single one of them ended up being a place wherein coins sent through the mail are a prohibited item. Is everyone just lying on customs forms? Do they not x-ray the packages and find out anyway?

Someone from Australia purchased a coin from me that has been a thorn in my side from the beginning. This was weeks ago, but today he decided to plop down a negative so I get to deal with this $#!@ even longer.

I calculated postage, sent the buyer an invoice, he paid immediately. I packaged the item and went to print postage through eBay which said you need to agree that the item isn't prohibited in this country list, I looked through and sure enough coins are prohibited to Australia, so I cancelled the postage, contacted the buyer, apologized profusely and refunded his money in full.

I tried to get my final value fee back and he of course would not agree and was trying to force my hand to ship him a coin wherein I had no recourse should something happen. I called eBay and got the fee back after explaining the situation.

Now today he left a negative to spite me "Item was bought and fully paid for - seller refused to send and refunded payment"

I have since changed all of my auctions to US buyers only as I came across the same thing with Spain, Poland and I think a third country perhaps Greece all requiring customs forms all prohibiting coins. Those people were not thorns in my side about it though.

Anyway I'm genuinely curious as to how people are making these sales because plenty of people are.
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm,I didn't know that and have sent and received quite a few coins downunder! Can you post a link showing where it is prohibited to mail coins to Australia?
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that , I sell and buy all over the world, if I have to fill out a form, I put copper medal as description.
    What do I know ? I'm not a licensed business coin dealer image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmmm,I didn't know that and have sent and received quite a few coins downunder! Can you post a link showing where it is prohibited to mail coins to Australia? >>

Country Conditions for Mailing — Australia

Prohibitions (130)

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, and silver (except for jewelry items meeting the requirement in “Restrictions” below); precious stones (except when contained in jewelry items meeting the requirement in “Restrictions” below); and other valuable articles are prohibited.
    Fruit cartons (used or new).
    Goods bearing the name “Anzac.”
    Goods produced wholly or partly in prisons or by convict labor.
    Perishable infectious biological substances.
    Radioactive materials.
    Registered philatelic articles with fictitious addresses.
    Seditious literature.
    Silencers for firearms.
    Used bedding.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Lol...didnt know that. I ship coins to Australia almost every week. Guess I'm in a lot of trouble now.

;-)

Dennis
  • Options
    what are you putting on the custom form?
  • Options
    I also do something similar...I always put exonumia. I haven't had a sale down under since I opted into global shipping...perhaps this is why. This also begs the question...why in the world would Australia ban coins??????
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime I ship international, I always put numismatic token or token.
  • Options
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the ban refers to currency, and not to numismatic materials.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly I find the item 'used bedding' a fascinating item for the list. As for the coins, whoops, been there done that. Recently even. I generally state things as 'obsolete tokens' and such, mostly because it's true and doesn't scream 'steal me'. If it were a modern bullion or coin though, hmm, that could be an issue.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely appeal that Negative....

There is NO problem sending coins to Australia. it is done every day.
    Just do not declare it as Coins etc.
    Numismatic item- Token- etc is not telling a lie!
    perhaps it is a Australian Postal regulation which has nothing to do with customs.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Most likely it is meant to provide money maundering.

Dennis
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "perishable infectious biological substances"

What about non-perishable infectious biological substances? This seems like an odd list, and it does sound more like a postal regulation than a customs thing. Sort of like the questions they ask here...and liquid/hazardous/lithium battery type stuff.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for your bad experience. I've bought dozens and dozens of coins from the USA that have been shipped down here without issue. Plus THOUSANDS of coins I've send to PCGS and have been shipped here without issue. I think the restriction is really meant to stop large currency transfers rather than stopping numismatic items. I suggest in the future you describe the items as "collector tokens" or "numismatic study materials". And as to your bad egg on eBay, we're not all like that in Australia. Most of us are pretty easy to get a long with image
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may be mistaken, but I believe the ban refers to currency, and not to numismatic materials. >>

You are not mistaken. Almost every country bans the importation of currency (i.e. legal tender used for every day transactions) to some degree or another. The USA limit is $5,000 I think.

Send the item as "numismatic token for evaluation". There should be no problem (except with the thieves in some locations).
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    thanks for the explanation folks

I may give it a try in the future
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Send the item as "numismatic token for evaluation". >>

Best description I ever got on a package from the USA was :

"Obsolete fiat token".
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always go with "metallic token", or, for a slabbed coin, "metallic token in plastic capsule".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    US Mint sends me coins to Australia,guess one arm of the Government dont know what the other arm is doing
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to sell (mostly) low-value items and sometimes came across this situation.

My guess is that these shipping prohibitions were written a long time ago when
    gold coins circulated as a means to control the trading of gold.

I marked the packages "old coins" with the sales price and never had a problem.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am from Australia too, and I have encountered this problem numerous times. Whenever I consider bidding on or buying a coin from America, I always contact them first and make sure; I tell them that I am from Australia and that they should be aware that USPS regulations list "coins" as a prohibited item to send to Australia. I tell them they may have to use weasel-words on the customs form. If they are not happy sending me a coin under those circumstances, then I'm perfectly OK with them refusing to sell to me. I don't see the point in trying to force the seller's hand and besides, if I really, really wanted something from a seller who refused to ship to me, I could always just get a friend in America to bid on it for me. From the sound of his attitude, the OP's Australian bidder may not be the type of person who has many friends.

As for the reason why coins are on the USPS "prohibited" list for Australia, it appears to be overzealousness on the part of USPS. There are no American laws prohibiting export of coins to Australia and there are no laws here in Australia against importing coins; if the declared value is less than $1000, not even Australian Customs cares. There are, however, Postal Regulations here in Australia, stating that coins and banknotes must only be sent Registered and must not exceed $200 face value; the "face value" clause clearly indicates that it is anti-money-laundering which this regulation is primarily aimed at. And because foreign "Registered" items do not count for the purposes of this clause, theoretically it is against their own regs for Australia Post to deliver your coin from the airport to my house.

USPS has interpreted this apparent reluctance to handle coins as a prohibition against coins.

As for suggested weasel-words: whatever you feel most comfortable with. I would not recommend outright lying (though I know of at least one seller who uses "auto parts", on the theory that coins would look like car parts on an X-ray and criminally-inclined postal workers would be much less likely to steal car parts than coins). "Stamped metal discs" may be technically true but still feels too close to lying for me to be comfortable recommending it. Things like "Cultural artefact" or "historic relic" should be OK since there are no laws prohibiting the importing of such things here (though I wouldn't use those ones for shipping to Europe). "Numismatic item" I have found to be the best as it is entirely honest and truthful, though you will occasionally have trouble with a smarter-than-average postal clerk who knows what "numismatic" means. If you get one of those people, simply try a different post office.

All this silly rigmarole, of course, means that fewer and fewer US sellers on eBay are prepared to ship internationally. Many, I think, have one bad experience like the OP and write us all off as a waste of time and money. I can't say I really blame them, either.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    I have to wonder if it is illegal to ship coins to Australia. All of my listings are showing up on ebay.au and I have received an offer from downunder. It appears for the moment that eBay's global shipping program will ship a coin to Australia or my listings would not show up on ebay.au.
  • Options
    Sapyx,
    No postal employee should ever ask you about the contents of your shipment. It is actually against the law. they can ask you if it does contain any dangerous goods, but nothing else.
    Mailings are part of you personal nature and even Police would need a search warrant to open it. In commonwealth countries, the mail, once accepted, technically does belong to the Queen. ( before any of you object, check it out).
    A Canadian postal person actually confirmed this. When you send other than paper, to most ,if not all countries (importing countries) require the sender to make a truthful customs declaration, usually on CN 22 form up to the Value of $400. ( higher another more detailed form in needed). on that same form you sign that the shipment does not contain any dangerous goods.
    Remember, the postal services are only a medium to transport items from one place to another for a prescribed fee.
    They are Nothing else, NOT customs, Not any other Government agency.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to wonder if it is illegal to ship coins to Australia. All of my listings are showing up on ebay.au and I have received an offer from downunder. It appears for the moment that eBay's global shipping program will ship a coin to Australia or my listings would not show up on ebay.au. >>

hurry up and get yourself out of the global shipping program before something sells image

When I ship coins overseas I just use first class its very reasonable.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to wonder if it is illegal to ship coins to Australia. All of my listings are showing up on ebay.au and I have received an offer from downunder. It appears for the moment that eBay's global shipping program will ship a coin to Australia or my listings would not show up on ebay.au. >>

hurry up and get yourself out of the global shipping program before something sells image

When I ship coins overseas I just use first class its very reasonable. >>

I have already had 3 sales...all were positive and all knew the costs envolved. I do have 1 to England and evidently the buyer didn't realize the costs envolved when he made me an offer. I cancelled the transaction for him. I think given time the costs will probably level off. I believe the high rates to some countries are due to the insurance costs PB charges and if they do not have many claims the prices will come down.

I used to ship like you do but after you get burned a few times...well I'm sure you get my point!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

When I ship coins overseas I just use first class its very reasonable. >>

I have already had 3 sales...all were positive and all knew the costs envolved. I do have 1 to England and evidently the buyer didn't realize the costs envolved when he made me an offer. I cancelled the transaction for him. I think given time the costs will probably level off. I believe the high rates to some countries are due to the insurance costs PB charges and if they do not have many claims the prices will come down.

I used to ship like you do but after you get burned a few times...well I'm sure you get my point! >>

There was a lot of talk about the program on the ebay boards . I haven't looked lately just when I was thinking about signing up for it. A lot of the buyer side of the story is on the other ebay boards. If you log onto ebay australia here is a thread about the program from the buyer point of view.

they don't love the GSP down under image

When $hitney Blows decides they can't ship your item then the buyer gets refunded and they "dispose" of your item by copying your listing word for word , stealing your pics and posting it for sale. Now if you are selling unique items there is a good chance your buyer will be searching and see the new listing for the item that couldn't be shipped to them.

An event which pretty much guarantees you will get negged when they angrily decide you didn't like the sale price and refused to ship and relisted under a different account.

• Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I have been asked to send items to Lithuania marked as gifts inside and outside of package and a declared value
    much lower then winning bid. Let's say $250 item listed on customs form as $20. I wasn't comfortable but they
    have gone thru. They say if I listed a higher value on the customs form they would have to pay asomething like
    a 40% tax to pick up the item.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been asked to send items to Lithuania marked as gifts inside and outside of package and a declared value
    much lower then winning bid. Let's say $250 item listed on customs form as $20. I wasn't comfortable but they
    have gone thru. They say if I listed a higher value on the customs form they would have to pay asomething like
    a 40% tax to pick up the item. >>

It's the truth. Stop looking at the rules about prohibited items to send to various countries and do not use courier services.Those end up indeed at Customs, after which it's a financial and psychological exhaustion to retrieve them. Also, get out of the Global Shipping Program, although with rates between $40-$60 ,chances to sell abroad are slim. Be nice to your buyers, but avoid a few countries to be on the safe side. I've copied a list from a different seller and made some appropriate changes but this list had to do with inefficiency of world POs and/or an elevated number of fraudulent buyers in a few countries.

Token, numismatic items, and other inspired titles will solve the problem of the green slip, provided that the buyer assumes all responsibility for his parcel after it's been shipped. Global priority at $25 as I've recently noticed on a parcel sent from the US is not the preferred solution. Registered is my favorite form of shipment nowadays, after about 8 years of regular airmail parcels that had reached their destination, incoming and outgoing without a problem. Now, I'm becoming slightly more paranoid and I demand USPS registered before the auction ends and a low declared value on the green slip.It's just not working anymore for items less than $100, not worth the expense, so I either gather them together with the help of a friend, or I rarely take a chance, but mostly with sellers I've done business with before.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The prohibition against cash/coins/currency is not just international, but also has implications domestically as well, especially when it comes to insurance. It's intended to prohibit illegal transactions and/or money laundering. As mentioned above, it is not intended to prohibit collectible coins and currency, *BUT* (and it's a big but), you are at the mercy of the intelligence level of those reading the rules and regs to interpret it that way... more often than not, you will get a civil servant who knows nothing about coin collecting.

As long as your package goes through, it's no big deal, but if it gets (1) opened for whatever reason, or (2) goes lost or gets damaged and you need to file an insurance claim, THAT is when the pain starts.

I had a PCGS slabbed large cent (or half cent, I can't recall) go AWOL to a domestic (U.S.) destination several years ago. I had shipped it with USPS insurance. I filed the claim, provided proof as to the value, and when I received the check it was for $15, the maximum indemnity for "cash". The large cent was a coin, therefore it was "cash", therefore full insured value did not apply.

Of course I raised a bloody hissy fit and after many hours on the phone working my way up the food chain at the USPS, I finally reached someone with an IQ above room temperature that could discern the difference between "coins" and "collectible coins". I ultimately got reimbursed, but it was NOT a pleasant experience.

Ginormous bureacracy + workers barely intelligent enough to breathe + vaguely written regulations = recipe for disaster.

How difficult would it be for them to explicitly state "This prohibition/limit does not apply to collectible coins or currency." Without that language, I can see how random postal worker N could interpret it to apply to ALL coins and currency.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    … every country has restrictions. I try to avoid North Korea.
  • Options

<< <i>… every country has restrictions. I try to avoid North Korea. >>

I once mailed Dennis Rodman to North Korea , but he was returned image
  • Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I think ist always depend on the buyer and seller if they agree some small "lies".
    I live in Germany and my country charge 19% tax on fx. silver coins send by mail with a value more than 40 $ from outside of Europe!
    Gold coins are free of tax... all this is not to understand.

I get since many years US coinsets send by mail, he always declare the face value, about 5 $ on the postal form.
    Even this is not a garanty...sometimes the custom open it and i have to pay tax for it.

About coins are not allowed to send to some countries, i alway write "collectible item" on my mail.
    Even registerd mail does not allow to send coins (or currency/Silver/Gold), so in the few cases it was lost, i must tell them is was something other inside to get the money back from postal service. Otherwise when i tell them it was coins inside they not pay for the lost.

I think the most reason not to allow to send coins is to protect the postal service from stolen mail.
    collector from Germany
  • Options
    I actually had an eBay buyer complain yesterday...bought a $400 Costa Rican gold coin. He lives in Canada. I charged $24.95 shipping for registered (I usually ship stuff like that registered and except for long delays never had anything lost) and declared full value on the customs form. Buyer got the coin but had to pay $62 import/tax duties as is normal for Canada, so shipping + taxes ended up to almost $100. Thankfully the buyer understood that this was beyond my control (even though he did send me a message complaining about it) and left positive feedback, but he did say that he would never buy on eBay again.

It's a common "problem" and when I still lived in Europe I had the occasional problem with it as well. Honestly nothing you can really do about it.

Dennsi
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I had an offer yesterday from a buyer in Germany. Yesterday the Ebay Global Shipping quote(shipping + import charges) for a $20 coin was around $40. The buyer was well aware and was close to buying the coin. Today the ebay Global Shipping quote is $20 total! I will be glad when they get their programs figured out. The buyer would have paid my full asking price if the costs had been quoted correctly yesterday!

So far I haven't sold much through eBay's program but what I have so far is working.
  • Options
    amwldcoin
    or anyone else:

have you guys ever read the GSP terms and conditions for buyers? I do not think that a seller in the USA has this available to him, as it only shows up outside the USA!!!!!!!!!!!
    It makes your hair instantly grow 5 inches and your tammy reject everything you ate in the last few days.
    here is a copy, enjoy it........ and yes, get a cup of coffee first..... or something stronger. You will need it.
    am wondering what the agreement for the sellers says?
    please read it to the end.....:

eBay.ca Global Shipping Program

Buyer Terms & Conditions

Effective Date: July 01, 2013

The following additional Global Shipping Program Buyer Terms and Conditions ("Terms") apply to your purchase of items on eBay.ca through the Global Shipping Program ("Program"):

1.Nature of the Program. Your seller ("Seller") has chosen to make certain items, which your Seller has listed on eBay.com, available for delivery to Canada (among other locations outside of the United States) through the Program ("GSP Item(s)"), along with certain parcel processing, domestic and international shipping, and customs clearance services (collectively, the "Services") that are being offered to you by a third party global technology and shipping provider, Pitney Bowes Inc. ("Pitney Bowes"). The pricing that is displayed to you at checkout is inclusive of all shipping and import charges associated with these Services, as described further below.
    a.Description of the Services. By purchasing a GSP Item from your Seller, you will be entering into a binding contract with your Seller for the purchase of the GSP Item. You will also be entering into an agreement directly with Pitney Bowes on the terms set forth in these Terms for the provision of the following Services in connection with your order:
    i.Parcel processing service. Your Seller shall, upon receipt of your cleared payment, ship the GSP Item to a parcel processing facility located in the United States ("U.S. Shipping Center"), which is managed by Pitney Bowes and operated by a third party logistics provider. Pitney Bowes will oversee the sorting and processing of the GSP Item at the U.S. Shipping Center in preparation for international shipment.
    ii.International shipping and tracking service. Pitney Bowes will arrange for the international shipment of your order from the U.S. Shipping Center by a third party shipping carrier (or carriers) to the delivery address designated by you. You and your Seller will be able to track the international shipment of your order from the United States to the designated delivery address within My eBay.
    iii.Customs service. Based on information provided by your Seller and obtained during the processing of your order, Pitney Bowes will manage the exportation and, through third party customs brokers, the importation clearance of GSP Items that you have purchased including, as applicable, remitting your payment of import charges to applicable customs and tax authorities, preparing required documentation, making necessary filings, and providing customs authorities with information needed to clear the shipment through customs.

b.Roles of the Parties.
    i.Pitney Bowes. Headquartered at 1 Elmcroft Road, Stamford, CT 06926 and publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol PBI, Pitney Bowes is a global technology and shipping provider. The Services described above will be provided either by Pitney Bowes itself, its affiliates, or via third party logistics providers, shipping carriers, customs brokers, freight forwarders, and/or other subcontractors under contract with Pitney Bowes. Your relationship with Pitney Bowes is governed by these Terms.
    ii.Your Role as Importer of Record; Power of Attorney. You hereby agree that Pitney Bowes will designate you (or the recipient of the GSP Item that you purchase, if someone other than yourself) as the "Importer of Record" of the GSP Item or, at its discretion, will designate one of its service providers as the "Importer of Record" to facilitate the customs clearance of the GSP Item. You are responsible to: (A) ensure that your purchase and importation of the GSP Item complies with all laws and regulations of the country into which the GSP Item is being imported, (B) file a completed customs entry and related documents with the customs authorities of the country into which the GSP Item is being imported, and (C) pay the assessed import duties and other taxes due upon importation of the GSP Item. However, to the extent applicable, you hereby grant to Pitney Bowes (and, to the extent necessary, its third party service providers) a "Power of Attorney" authorizing Pitney Bowes and/or its service providers to act as your agent(s) to retain customs brokers and/or freight forwarders for the purpose of transacting customs business with all relevant customs and revenue authorities on your behalf, including, but not limited to, arranging for the importation of the GSP Item, assigning Harmonized System classification codes to each commodity, accounting for duties and taxes on your behalf, and managing any dispute with such authorities regarding customs classifications, applicable duties and/or taxes. In addition, you agree to authorize the customs brokers and/or freight forwarders selected by Pitney Bowes to make, endorse, sign, declare and/or swear to any customs, entry, withdrawal, declaration, certificate, bill of lading and/or any other documents required by law or regulation in connection with the importation and/or transportation of the GSP Item that is shipped or consigned to you or your designee for shipment out of the United States and into any other country. You acknowledge and agree that assigning Harmonized System classification codes requires expertise and that you will defer to the expertise of Pitney Bowes in performing this task and will not question the Harmonized System classification codes so assigned by Pitney Bowes.
    iii.Your Seller's Role as Exporter of Record. Pitney Bowes will designate your Seller as the U.S. Principal Party in Interest ("Exporter of Record") of the GSP Item that you purchase or, at its discretion, will designate itself or one of its service providers as the "Exporter of Record" in lieu of your Seller to facilitate the customs clearance of the GSP Item. To the extent applicable, your Seller has granted to Pitney Bowes (and, to the extent necessary, its third party service providers) a power of attorney authorizing Pitney Bowes and/or its service providers to act as your Seller's agent(s) to retain customs brokers and/or freight forwarders for the purpose of transacting customs business with all relevant customs and tax authorities on behalf of your Seller, including, but not limited to, making export classifications and managing any dispute with such authorities regarding customs classifications, applicable duties, and/or taxes, and performing any other act that may be required by law or regulation in connection with the exportation and/or transportation of GSP Items out of the United States and into any other country.
    iv.Relationship between eBay and Pitney Bowes. eBay Inc. and Pitney Bowes are independent contractors and have entered into an agreement with one another in order to make the above-described Services available to you in connection with your use of the eBay.ca website. However, neither eBay Inc. nor its subsidiaries (collectively, "eBay") are providing any of the Services, and Pitney Bowes is neither owned by, nor affiliated with, eBay.

c.Data Privacy.

eBay's collection of personal information in connection with the Program is governed by the privacy policy that applies to your use of the eBay.ca website. However, in order for Pitney Bowes to provide you with the Services that you are requesting under the Program, Pitney Bowes requires the following personal information in addition to your order information: your name, user ID, address, email address, and telephone number. By these Terms, you direct eBay to provide this personal and order information to Pitney Bowes on your behalf so that Pitney Bowes may provide you with the Services that you are requesting under the Program. You acknowledge that Pitney Bowes may, in turn, disclose this information to its affiliates, service providers, and customs and revenue authorities as necessary to perform the Services that you have requested (for example, providing your name and address information to shipping carriers so that they can deliver your order to the delivery address designated by you). Your personal and order information will be collected, used, and disclosed by Pitney Bowes only for the purpose of providing the Services in accordance with Pitney Bowes's privacy policy, which may be found here, with the exception that Pitney Bowes shall not provide, rent, sell or otherwise share the foregoing information for marketing purposes. eBay does not control the privacy policies of Pitney Bowes, its affiliates, or its service providers, and you are subject to the privacy policies of those parties, as applicable.

d.Optional Services. The Services being offered to you by Pitney Bowes under the Program are entirely optional. However, to purchase GSP Items, you must agree to these Terms. If you do not agree with these Terms, then you cannot proceed with the purchase of GSP Items and may instead purchase an item from a Seller who is not participating in the Program.

2.Your Use of the Program.

You will use the Program in compliance with these Terms, eBay's policies, and all applicable laws, including, but not limited to, the following requirements and limitations:
    a.Applicability of eBay User Agreement.
    The Program is designed to be used in conjunction with the eBay.ca website and is therefore subject to the eBay.ca User Agreement and policies (collectively, and as the same may be amended from time to time, "eBay's policies"). These Terms apply to you in addition to the eBay.ca User Agreement. In relation to your purchase of a GSP Item through the Program, where there is any conflict or inconsistency between these Terms and any other agreement or policy between you and eBay, these Terms will control as to all matters that are explicitly addressed in these Terms. For all matters not explicitly discussed in these Terms, eBay's policies will control.
    b.Item Eligibility.
    Not all listings appearing on eBay.ca are eligible for the Program. Items that are being offered to you by your Seller through the Program, and which appear to be eligible for the Program based on their listing description, are so designated within the GSP Item listing. eBay reserves the right at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice to you, to alter or amend the eligibility requirements for items under the Program, including, but not limited to, limits on the number, type, category, and/or value of items and/or transactions. Item eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
    i.Item Location. Only items physically located in the United States and which your Seller ships to the U.S. Shipping Center from a United States address are eligible for the Program. Any items that your Seller sends to the U.S. Shipping Center from an address outside of the United State shall be processed as undeliverable items, as described below.
    ii.Item Listing Site. Only items listed by Sellers on eBay.com are eligible for the Program. However, eBay may make Sellers' eligible eBay.com listings available to you on eBay.com and on eBay's international sites.
    iii.Restricted Categories. Items listed by Sellers in certain eBay.com categories are ineligible for the Program. You may find a list of restricted categories here.
    iv.Prohibited Item Types. Several item types are ineligible for the Program. You may find a list of prohibited item types here.
    v.Illegal and Hazardous Items. Items that are illegal or restricted for export from the United States, are illegal or restricted from import to the country specified in your designated address, and/or which fall within one or more of the United Nations hazard classes and/or as identified by the International Air Transport Association are ineligible for the Program.
    vi.Items subject to Export Controls. Items that (A) relate to an Export Control Classification Number that is considered dual use, controlled, or otherwise restricted by the Export Administration Regulations Commerce Control List and require a license or (B) are subject to any U.S. export control regulations, as determined by Pitney Bowes and/or its service providers in their exclusive discretion, are ineligible for the Program.
    vii.Oversized Items. Parcels which exceed maximum weights and/or dimensions are ineligible for the Program. "Parcel" means a box, bag, container or other package containing one or more GSP Items sold comprising all or part of your order.
    viii.Other Prohibited Items. Items that are otherwise prohibited on eBay's website properties are ineligible for the Program. You may review eBay's prohibited items policies here.
    ix.Other. Items that eBay and/or Pitney Bowes determine, in their sole discretion, would not benefit from the Program or could create problems or liabilities for the Program.

c.Country Eligibility.
    The Program is not available for shipments to all countries. The delivery address that you specify must be within a country eligible under the Program. eBay reserves the right at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice to you, to expand or limit the countries eligible for the Program. The countries and regions currently eligible for the Program may be found here.

d.Non-Commercial Use.
    The Services provided by Pitney Bowes are only available for merchandise that is for use by the designated recipient. You therefore agree that any merchandise that you purchase through the Program is for the use of the designated recipient and not for commercial resale purposes.

e.Compliance with Applicable Laws.
    You agree not to purchase or import any GSP Items through the Program in violation of any applicable laws or regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, by purchasing a GSP Item, you are representing and warranting that your possession, use, and purchase of the GSP Item or that of your designee does not violate any laws of the country into which the GSP Item is being imported.
    f.Available Remedies. Without limiting other remedies, included those described elsewhere within eBay's policies, eBay may at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice to you, limit, prohibit, refuse, cancel, block, suspend and/or terminate your use of the Program and/or the Services if you violate any of these Terms, eBay's policies, or any applicable laws.
    g.Program Updates and Discontinuation.
    eBay has the right, but not the obligation, to alter, amend, replace, suspend temporarily, and/or discontinue permanently the Program, the name of the Program, any of the Services, features, and/or functionality offered to you under the Program, and/or the service providers used to provide any or all of the Services under the Program, at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice to you. However, any Program discontinuation will not affect the fulfillment of undelivered orders for which you have already made payment.

3.Payment and Program Fees. a.Payment Method. Your Seller requires payment for GSP Items using PayPal, and you therefore agree to pay for GSP Items and applicable Program Fees using PayPal, as described below. Your use of the PayPal services is subject to the PayPal User Agreement and Privacy Policy between you and the PayPal entity that provides the PayPal services to you, including all applicable PayPal fees described in the PayPal User Agreement.
    b.Description of Program Fees. The following shipping and import charges (collectively, the "Program Fees") apply to your purchases of GSP Items: i."International priority shipping" (or "Shipping"): this Program Fee consists of charges associated with the parcel processing and shipping services described above and is comprised of the following variable amounts: your Seller's shipping charges to ship your order to the U.S. Shipping Center; third party international shipping charges to ship your order from the U.S. Shipping Center to your designated delivery address; fuel surcharges; charges for selling, general, and administrative expenses, hardware, software development and licenses, operations, and hosting by Pitney Bowes; charges from third party parcel processing service providers and for the management of the parcel processing service providers and related software systems; charges relating to the management of insurance for lost or damaged items; charges for operational expenses associated with short-term loss recovery and the management of variances between the quoted Shipping amount and actual costs; and any referral fees paid by Pitney Bowes to eBay for referring you to the Program.
    ii."Import charges": this Program Fee consists of charges associated with the customs service described above and is comprised of the following variable amounts: sales, goods and services, and value added taxes, duties, tariffs, excise taxes, and other amounts assessed or levied by any government authority in connection with the importation of goods into the applicable country of importation (but excluding income taxes) ("Commodity taxes"); third party brokerage fees (including advancement and disbursement charges and customs brokers handling and filing fees); penalties (but excluding any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to, or made available for pickup at, the delivery address that you specify); classification charges associated with the assignment of a Harmonized System ("HS") classification code; charges for export compliance screening and verification and the assignment of an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN); and operational expenses associated with short-term loss recovery and the management of variances between the quoted Import charges and actual costs. Note: at eBay's discretion, applicable classification and export compliance charges, third party brokerage fees, and operational expenses may instead be included within the Shipping amount that is quoted to you.

c.Payment Split.
    PayPal will split your payment of the Program Fees between your Seller and Pitney Bowes in the following manner, as reflected within your Order Details page and, if you have a PayPal account, in your PayPal account overview: i.Payment to your Seller: PayPal will transmit to your Seller's PayPal account that portion of your payment consisting of the GSP Item price and the amount (if any) charged by your Seller to ship the GSP Item to the U.S. Shipping Center.
    ii.Payment to Pitney Bowes: PayPal will transmit the balance of your payment to Pitney Bowes's PayPal account (identifiable with the description "Pitney Bowes Inc.").

d.Program Fee Estimates. The Program Fees quoted in your Seller's listing are estimates only and are subject to change until you pay for the GSP Item and the quoted Program Fees in full during checkout. With the exception of the shipping charges specified by your Seller to ship your order to the U.S. Shipping Center, the quoted Program Fees are derived from real-time, proprietary estimates of applicable international shipping and import charges by Pitney Bowes. Pitney Bowes's estimates may not always reflect actual costs to Pitney Bowes; actual shipping and/or import costs may be more or less than the estimates. However, subject to your compliance with these Terms, your payment of the GSP Item price and quoted Program Fees during checkout represents the total amount of Shipping and Import charges for a GSP Item to be purchased, shipped to the delivery address specified by you, cleared by customs, and delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address that you specify. You will not request, and you will not receive, a refund for the difference, if any, between Program Fees paid by you and actual costs to Pitney Bowes in the event that actual shipping and/or import costs are less than the amounts paid by you.
    e.Remittance of Program Fees to Third Parties. Upon receipt of your payment of the Program Fees, Pitney Bowes shall be responsible for paying its service providers for fees owed to its service providers and for remitting Commodity taxes to governmental authorities, as applicable.
    f.Payment Reversals. If eBay, Pitney Bowes, or Pitney Bowes's service providers determine, after you have purchased a GSP Item, that the GSP Item is ineligible for the Program or cannot be shipped to you (for whatever reason), eBay and its affiliates shall have the right to cancel your purchase in lieu of proceeding with the processing and/or shipment of the GSP Item and, upon exercising this right, shall reverse the PayPal payment that you made to your Seller and to Pitney Bowes for the GSP Item and will process the GSP Item as an undeliverable item, as described below.
    g.Currency Conversion. Unless stated otherwise, all Program Fees are quoted in U.S. dollars.
    h.Unpaid Items and Payment Failure. Your purchases of GSP Items under the Program are subject to eBay's unpaid item policy. eBay reserves the right to collect, using any collection methods at its disposal, any unpaid amounts that eBay pays to your Seller and/or Pitney Bowes because of your non-payment or failed payment.
    i.Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you.

4.Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items. If a GSP Item that you purchase is not delivered to the delivery address specified by you, it is damaged, or it does not match your Seller's description, your purchase may be covered by a PayPal Purchase Protection program, as described below. a.PayPal Purchase Protection. Your purchases of GSP Items using PayPal are covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection policy applicable to your use of the PayPal services if your purchases otherwise meet the policy's eligibility requirements and conditions and do not fall within an exclusion or coverage limitation. The PayPal Purchase Protection policy applicable to your purchase can be found in the PayPal User Agreement and is governed by the applicable PayPal User Agreement's terms. If you are eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection and PayPal finds in your favor on a claim stemming from your purchase of a GSP Item under the Program, the applicable coverage amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item.
    b.Risk of Loss. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, as between you and your Seller, the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the U.S. Shipping Center. As between you and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center. However, your purchase may be covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection policy.
    c.Undeliverable Items — Valid Delivery Address Required. The delivery address that you specify must be within a country eligible under the Program and must be a valid and complete delivery address. The delivery address that you specify may not be a Post Office (P.O. Box), Army Post Office, or Fleet Post Office. eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate parcels (and their contents) that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason. If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a parcel is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a parcel, title to the parcel (and its contents) shall transfer automatically from your Seller to eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes (as eBay and Pitney Bowes may elect), at no cost to either eBay or Pitney Bowes (or to any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes), and eBay and Pitney Bowes (and any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes) shall retain all proceeds (if any) received from the disposal or liquidation of the parcel and/or its contents). eBay or Pitney Bowes may also elect to return to your Seller any parcels that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable. eBay shall not be responsible under the PayPal Purchase Protection policy if eBay concludes that a GSP Item is not deliverable to your designated delivery address for any reason, including because the delivery address that you provide is incorrect, incomplete, or inaccessible. In addition, certain third party shipping carriers utilized under the Program may require that the designated recipient of a GSP Item be present to receive delivery; where in-person delivery is required, you shall be solely responsible for ensuring that the designated recipient is available to receive delivery.
    d.Transfer of Title. Title to a GSP Item remains with your Seller until such time as the GSP Item is successfully delivered to the designated recipient of the GSP Item, at which time title to the GSP Item shall transfer to the designated recipient. At no time do eBay (or its affiliates), Pitney Bowes (or its affiliates), or the third party logistics providers, shipping carriers, customs brokers, freight forwarders, or other subcontractors under contract with Pitney Bowes take title to GSP Items, except as otherwise provided herein.
    e.International Returns. The returns policy specified by your Seller in his/her listing description of a GSP Item will apply to your purchase of the GSP Item For GSP Items that you return to your Seller, you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, a refund of any Program Fees that you paid to Pitney Bowes.

5.Disclaimers. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED BY PITNEY BOWES, AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, AND ITS AFFILIATES AND THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS. ACCORDINGLY, EBAY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, USEFULNESS, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, OR QUALITY OF THE SERVICES. IN ADDITION, EBAY AND PITNEY BOWES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE PROGRAM AND/OR ANY GSP ITEM THAT YOU PURCHASE THROUGH THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, USEFULNESS, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, OR QUALITY OF THE PROGRAM AND/OR ANY GSP ITEM THAT YOU PURCHASE THROUGH THE PROGRAM. NEITHER EBAY NOR PITNEY BOWES SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DISRUPTIONS OR DELAYS IN THE USE OF THE PROGRAM AND/OR SERVICES OR ANY LOSS OR INJURY ASSOCIATED WITH ANY SUCH DISRUPTION OR DELAY. NEITHER EBAY NOR PITNEY BOWES SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY PROGRAM FEES QUOTED BY PITNEY BOWES IN CONNECTION WITH THE PROGRAM AND/OR SERVICES. EBAY SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM THE MISUSE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT EBAY HAS DISCLOSED TO PITNEY BOWES SO THAT PITNEY BOWES MAY PROVIDE YOU WITH THE SERVICES THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING UNDER THE PROGRAM.
    6.Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, EBAY AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, JOINT VENTURES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS, AND PITNEY BOWES AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, JOINT VENTURES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS, SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, MULTIPLIED OR ANY OTHER FORM OF DAMAGES, LOSS, OR INJURY WHATSOEVER, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS, YOUR USE OF, MISUSE OF, OR RELIANCE ON THE PROGRAM, THE SERVICES, GSP ITEMS SOLD OR PURCHASED UNDER THE PROGRAM, THE PROGRAM FEES QUOTED BY PITNEY BOWES, YOUR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM AND/OR SERVICES, THE AVAILABILITY OF THE PROGRAM AND/OR SERVICES, AND/OR THE INTERRUPTION, SUSPENSION, OR TERMINATION OF THE PROGRAM AND/OR SERVICES, INCLUDING DAMAGES INCURRED BY THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LIABILITY AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY. REGARDLESS OF THE PREVIOUS SENTENCE, IF EBAY, PITNEY BOWES, OR ANY SUBSIDIARY, AFFILIATE, JOINT VENTURE, OFFICER, DIRECTOR, SHAREHOLDER, EMPLOYEE, OR AGENT OF EBAY OR PITNEY BOWES IS FOUND TO BE LIABLE, THE LIABILITY TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY IS LMITED TO THE GREATER OF (A) ANY AMOUNTS DUE UNDER THE APPLICABLE PAYPAL PURCHASE PROTECTION POLICY UP TO THE FULL PRICE OF THE GSP ITEM (INCLUDING SHIPPING AND IMPORT CHARGES THAT YOU PAID DURING CHECKOUT) OR (B) $100.
    7.Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend, release, and hold harmless eBay, Pitney Bowes and the subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, and agents of each of eBay and Pitney Bowes from and against all losses, liabilities, damages, claims, penalties, fines or other costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party relating, due to, or arising directly or indirectly out of your use of the Program, the Services, the exportation or importation of any GSP Items through the Program, or any violation of these Terms, eBay's policies, any law or regulation, or the rights of any third party.
    8.No Agency. No agency, partnership, joint venture, employee-employer, or franchiser-franchisee relationship between you and eBay (or between you and Pitney Bowes, except to the limited extent and as described in Section 1(b)(ii)) are intended or created by these Terms. You do not intend eBay or Pitney Bowes (or any of their affiliates, subcontractors, or other service providers) to act, nor shall they act, as an agent for the receipt of any domestic or international mail on your behalf in the United States.
    9.Miscellaneous. Except as otherwise provided herein, these Terms sets forth the entire agreement between you and eBay and between you and Pitney Bowes with respect to its subject matter. eBay's failure or Pitney Bowes's failure to enforce any provision of these Terms will not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right. In the event that a portion of these Terms is held invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, the remainder of the provisions will continue in full force and effect.
    10.Term. These Terms, as may be amended from time to time, will remain in effect for a period of sixty (60) days following the delivery of the GSP Item to the delivery address designated by you.
    11.Effect of Termination. The following sections of these Terms will survive any termination: "Your Role as Importer of Record; Power of Attorney," "Data Privacy," "Your Use of the Program," "Payment and Program Fees," "Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items," "Disclaimers," "Limitation of Liability," "Indemnification," "No Agency," "Miscellaneous," and "Term."
    12.Amendment. eBay may amend these Terms, including applicable fees, at any time by posting the amended terms on the eBay.ca site. Except as stated elsewhere, all amended terms shall take effect immediately and automatically when posted on the eBay.ca site.

NOW, do you actually remember what YOU have read and agreed to???????????????????????????????????????
    time for the scotch to come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    YQQ, I see nothing wrong with the contract personally. It answered your other complaint about requiring a power of attorney. I was correct that when you use the GSP you are giving the GSP your power of attorney. I see where some of it could be unsettling...like your complaint if they consider an item unable to be delivered. From a sellers stand point either way the item is sold.

PS,I message the buyer earlier about the change in GSP costs and he purchased the item!