Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS' Type Set Philosophy

Having just gone back and re-read an older thread to which I contributed back in 2010 (under former user name 'TheEndZone'), I started dwelling on differences in PCGS' type set compositions.

Several years ago, I successfully lobbied PCGS to create a Denver Mint Type Set (1906-Present); at the time I was utilizing both 20th and 21st Century Type Sets to track this collection. Upon it's creation, the one glaring difference I noticed between the Denver mint set (as compared to the 20th Cent TS) was the omission of composition changes as separate (and thus excluded types). As examples:
    The 20th Cent TS distinguishes two major types of "Lincoln Cents - Memorial" (1) bronze (1959-1982); (2) zinc (1982-1999), whereas the D-Mint set only recognizes the single "Lincoln Cent, Memorial" [1959-2008]The 20th Cent TS distinguishes two major types of "Roosevelt Dimes" (1) Silver (1946-1964); (2) Clad (1965-1999), whereas the D-Mint set only recognizes the single "Roosevelt Dimes" [1946-Present]The 20th Cent TS distinguishes two major types of "Washington Quarters" (1) Silver (1932-1964); (2) Clad (1965-1998), where as the D-Mint set only recognizes the single "Washington Quarter" [1932-1998]The 20th Cent TS distinguishes three major types of "Kennedy Half Dollars" (1) Silver (1964); (2) Silver Clad (1965-1970); Clad (1971-1999), whereas the D-Mint set only recognizes the single "Kennedy Half Dollar" [1964-Present]
If a coin is considered a "major" type (due to significant changes in the coins' composition) in one type set, shouldn't is also be considered a major type in the other?

Somewhat bothered by this inconsistency, does anyone else have any insight as to the rhyme or reason that PCGS may have done this?

pws

Comments

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a long time member. There have always been inconsistency. I believe there always will be.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
    Here is one:

Why does the "Jefferson Nickels Westward Journey Series Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (2004-2006)" allow satin issues and the "Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1999-2008)" does not? Any plans to fix the inconsistently with satins?
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    They do makes changes in the Registry. Fire off an email with your suggestions to BJ. She'll see the right person is made aware of your ideas.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    I think the strike inconsistency in the registry sets can be easily fixed by consistently using the 6 groups below. All the strike groups below are presently being used in the registry, but are designated in several inconsistent ways. Also, there are several other strike designations that create inconsistency and confusion. An example is Circulation Strikes only. Should not all circulations strikes sets be CS coins only? I believe the following rules/principles for designating strikes could be used by the PCGS registry and eliminate the inconsistency. I think it is a simple and less confusing approach. Are there any thoughts to agreeing or disagreeing? If so, how could we get these or some other appropriately rules/principles applied to the sets?

Coin Series/Set [No strike designated]
    • Any coins may be used in these sets. Examples: MS, SP, PR, circulated graded, etc.
    • A present example of this set, “Modern Type Set (1950-present)”

Coin Series/Set, Mint State Strikes
    • Only mint state designated coins may be used in these sets. Examples: MS & SP
    • A present example of this set, “Jefferson Nickels Westward Journey Series Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (2004-2006)". This set is presently designated as Circulation Strikes, but has MS & SP coins included, therefore would require set name change to: “Jefferson Nickels Westward Journey Series Basic Set, Mint State Strikes (2004-2006)".

Coin Series/Set, Circulation Strikes
    • Only P1 – MS70 designated coins may be used in these sets.
    • A present example of this set, “Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1999-2008)"

Coin Series/Set, Satin Finish or Special Mint Strikes
    • Only SP designated coins may be used in these sets.
    • A present example of this set, “Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Satin Finish Strikes (2005-2008)"

Coin Series/Set, Proof
    • Only PR designated coins may be used in these sets.
    • A present example of this set, “Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Proof (1999-2008)"

Coin Series/Set, [Combination Sets]
    • This designation is used to combine two or more of the above sets.
    • Couple present examples of these sets, “Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation and Satin Finish (1999-2008)" or “Washington Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1932-Present)”