Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Photo Merging Trouble

Hello All,

I am having a devil of a time with my photos. As many of you are aware, I am borderline incapacitated when it comes to photos on here. But after doing the adult thing and sorting through all of my recent farthing purchases, combined with coins in Fi's collection prior to that point and then taking pictures of all of them and uploading them to photobucket, I realized to my horror that I accidentally hit the "sort by" button. This threw everything out of whack and no matter if I tried to reverse the process it seemed like everything was out of order and not paired correctly for me to label.

While I suspect that Zohar and a few others may have put some voodoo curse on me because they are tired of linking my separate pics together, it still doesn't change the fact that I have a major problem: I don't know how to merge pictures of each side of a coin into one image to then save on photobucket. Had I done this with the oh, 200 coins or so I recently took pictures of, I would not be in this pickle.

I use an iphone 5 to take my pictures. I then upload said pictures into my iphoto app on my Macbook. Usually from there I upload the pictures from the iphoto app into photobucket where I edit and label them. (I already hear several of you laughing at my methodology.)

I want to link each coin's sides so I can label once and have no worries about mismatched sides again. Needless to say, several hours worth of work went straight into the toilet. I tried to sort through the editing functions on photobucket but found nothing that allowed to merge photos. The help search was of no help.

Someone help me.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE- I posted all the instructions below before I noticed you said you were a Mac user. That being the case, it may not help you at all. (I know nothing about Macs, personally.) But if you have access to a computer with Windows, it should work. Otherwise, maybe somebody who's a Mac user can help you. There must be comparable programs for Macs.

Don't worry, you won't need to learn Photoshop or anything very advanced.

I would recommend you go to the MS Paint program which is probably already in the accessories on your computer, if you have Windows.
    Play with Paint and familiarize yourself with the program. It pretty basic, though the latest version has more features than before.

With Paint, you can merge the images and resize them as necessary. I'm afraid I can't really go into a really detailed tutorial here at the moment (especially since I don't know what version of Paint your computer has), but basically, you can...
      Copy your image (the obverse of the coin) to your clipboard.Open Paint. Paste the obverse picture into a new image there. Drag it to the left side of the image.If necessary, use the "attributes" menu (Ctrl + E) to double the width of the image to allow you room to post the reverse picture to the right of the obverse picture.Paste the reverse picture into the Paint image.Crop as necessary, using the toolbar. You may also use the ("Stretch & Skew" or "Resize & Skew") menu (Ctrl + W) to resize part or all of the image (useful if your obverse and reverse pictures vary in size).Save your new merged image. You'll probably want to use a different filename from those used for your obverse/reverse original images, obviously.
    Just find Paint and play with it a little. I'll bet that within an hour or less of tinkering around and experimenting with it and reading the Help screens, you'll be able to do what you want.

Editing brightness, contrast, and other attributes will need to be done with other photo editing programs, but Paint will give you the basics you need for merging pictures, without too steep a learning curve.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. ^That all seems like exactly what I do not want to do. I was only going to merge photos to have people stop giving me grief about not merged photos. There has to be an easier way to do this. I will think about it and report back if I discover any other method. Thanks, LM for the help offer. It's nice you offered that much detail and help. You underestimate my laziness though.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dummy proof (referring to me) application is photoscape - allows for cropping, stitching etc. - LINK to MAC download for

You then upload the stitched image to photobucket
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant help much, I use photoshop. Been using it since 2001.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ugh. ^That all seems like exactly what I do not want to do. I was only going to merge photos to have people stop giving me grief about not merged photos. There has to be an easier way to do this. I will think about it and report back if I discover any other method. Thanks, LM for the help offer. It's nice you offered that much detail and help. You underestimate my laziness though. >>

Lotsa people do separate obverse-reverse pix. Ain't written in stone that you're a bad person if you choose not to merge both sides of your coins into one image. image

(I find it's easier to post and share them when there's only one image, though.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.