Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP (well a trade) Zeno Gold Solidus (yes another ancient coin :-D)

The following coin I received in a trade from LordM that contained quite a few items and the particulars we ironed out over several days.

imageimage

This is a AV Solidus of Zeno who was the Roman Emperor of the Eastern Empire in Constantinople at the time.

I find this coin rather intriguing because the reverse inscription includes "AVGGG" meaning 'Terci Augusti' (The Three Emperors) who at this point in time would be Julius Nepos (pretty much the de-facto last western Roman Emperor although Romulus Augustus is also considered the last one even though he was a child installed by his father and he didn't really do anything at all), Zeno, and Zeno's young son Leo II, basically showing solidarity between all three of them across the entire empire.

The obverse shows the helmeted, diademed, cuirassed bust of Zeno facing while holding a spear and shield. The inscription is DN ZENO PERP AVG which translates to something like Our Lord Zeno, Continual Emperor.

On the reverse is Victory standing left holding a cross, two stars in fields (perhaps symbols of the east and west empires?) with the inscription VICTORIA AVGGG which means Victory of the Three Emperors, the inscription CONOB is in the exergue meaning Constantinople 1/72 pound of pure gold (why does it say CONOB and it's minted in Thessalonica? well it's confusing but that's the consensus)

474AD is the year this particular coin could've been minted as young Leo II died at age 7 on November 17th. Thessalonica is believed to be where this coin was minted.

This coin is pedigreed to the Louis Eliasberg collection.
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually detest holed coins but some, like this, I dont mind cause it doesnt detract from the images.
  • Options
    At the end of the day it is major damage, but it's in about the best spot it could be as far as killing eye appeal. It also makes what would otherwise be a fairly expensive (to me) coin affordable, I like this one a lot.
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats NC! I only have one gold piece.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking solidus.

Terrific image too.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At the end of the day it is major damage, but it's in about the best spot it could be as far as killing eye appeal. It also makes what would otherwise be a fairly expensive (to me) coin affordable, I like this one a lot. >>

I really don't mind the hole, and the pedigree is well worth putting up with it in my eyes. I'm glad it's staying in the "family"! image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, well, there goes the last of my significant "holeys". My custom forum title is now a bit obsolete. That happens to a lot of oldtimers who change gears in their collecting.

It was a fun swap, though. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, since there is a hole in it, it can't be worth much. I will happily buy it off of you and save you from listing it on the BST right now for $1.

Nice coin, you know, minus the hole.