Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

St. Leanders Show in San Leandro, CA

Hi All,

I just attended my very first card legitimate card show in ages on Saturday. Through a bit of searching, I stumbled across this show and thought it would be great to visit my old stomping grounds and go to a legitimate card show (sadly, we don't have any in the Fresno area). I had the pleasure of meeting the show's promoter/organizer, Mark Macrae. This show is put on twice per year and I believe Mark said he's been doing it for 30 years now.

This show was great. There was an abundance of vintage cards and memorabilia. Being that I hadn't been to a show in ages, it was a bit of sensory overload. There were 75 tables, of which I would say 75% had vintage cards and memorabilia. The remaining 25% was a combination of non-sport, modern wax, and Mother's Cookies stuff. The memorabilia had a bias toward bay area sports, which is to be expected. I took a few pictures of some interesting items:

This picture didn't come out so great, but it's of a stanFUrd pennant with what looks like a caveman. The odd part is that the nose (or whatever you call that) was protruding from the middle of his face. And they say us Cal folk are weird (GO BEARS!). image

There were some neat Giants items. This was a nice looking garbage can from 1968. Of course, this is also indicative of how the Giants have been playing lately.

A couple of other random shots:

I stayed pretty controlled. I could have easily blown through what I had, but I think I was just a bit overwhelmed by the volume of items. I could have easily spent the entire day there. I picked up a few nice raw cards for the sets I'm building. There was a guy who had a couple of boxes of OPC, selling at $2 to $2.50 per pack, so I bought a few to add to my unopened collection. I also picked up a nice display cello box from 1970, as well as some scratch offs that I didn't have (1970 issue). Lastly, a box of junk wax to rip (sadly, no auto in the box, but for $4, I'm not complaining).

This was a very fun show. I look forward to attending again!