Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Sacred Stone of Kaunos

In addition to coins, I'm very fond of meteorites, and therefore any "sacred stones" from antiquity pique my interest. These show up on a number of coin types and I was very excited to acquire this hard-to-find early example from Kaunos.

Kaunos was a prominent trading center in Asian Minor alongside Lycia and Caria. It was mentioned by ancient authors specifically because of how its customs and language differed from Caria but until recently, it was not possible to decisively attribute any archaic or classical coinage to it, which is abnormal considering its importance during these periods.

Thanks to the persistence of academics and archaeologists across the world, our understanding of ancient history is constantly evolving. This coin is a perfect example: until the 1980s, little was understood about the Carian language. Egyptologists were able to aid in the deciphering, using Carian inscriptions found in Egypt to cross-reference and begin to comprehend the language, allowing us to better understand the coins of the region.

While the obverse of this coin has similar attributes to Nike, the latest research into the customs of the region indicates that it is in fact the Greek god Iris, the messenger of Hera. Unlike Nike, and as shown on this coin, Iris is generally shown holding a kerykeion (also known as a caduceus: a “herald’s staff”, a symbol of a messenger) and a wreath in either hand.

The attribution of the obverse as Iris has aided in interpreting the reverse. The reverse evolved over time, starting with a crude triangular punch mark, then as a central device with horn-like tags, and eventually with handles as depicted in this coin.

While originally thought to be either an early incuse pattern or a relief map like similar coinage from Ionia, it is now believed that the reverse depicts a sacred stone. In antiquity, it would have been referred to as a “baetyl”, or “beth el” in Aramaic, meaning “House of the God”. This term is used to describe conical stones which were worshipped as the homes of the gods. These objects are found fairly regularly on Roman provincial coins but are very unusual on early, archaic coinage.

Archaeologists have long been mystified by the presence of a round building near the harbor of Kaunos. Recently, about three meters beneath the surface in the center of the building, a large conical piece of limestone measuring 12 feet high and 5 feet wide was discovered.

The bottom of this object stands on the bedrock and was buried as a counterbalance to the top which towered nearly eight feet in the air. While remaining accessible to worshippers in the fifth century BC, it was eventually enclosed in walls and shrines to protect the sacred stone. With stone worship now having been confirmed in multiple aspects of life in Kaunos, there can be little doubt that the reverse of these coins depicts a sacred stone, likely the exact one uncovered inside the round building.

This particular coin appears to show handles on both sides which may have been used to carry the sacred stone during processions prior to it being enclosed in its final shrine in the fourth century BC. With artistry evolving and improving alongside the refinement of their beliefs, the dies became more intricate with this coin showing subtle depth to the conical shape rather than just a flat triangle as seen on earlier varieties.

Many sacred stones are meteorites, believed to have been sent by the gods, and it is likely that the conical limestone encapsulated the original meteorite. As further evidence to the stone being a meteorite, the god Iris is known as the god of rainbows, noting her connection between the sky and earth, likely referring to the event of the meteorite falling. Meteorite impacts represented a confusing and alarming event which nearly every ancient culture has interpreted as a message or visit from the gods.

Over the span of several decades, the reverse eventually transformed into stylized birds followed by two bunches of grapes rendered in dots, potentially coinciding with a shift in religious customs and a movement away from archaic art.

CARIA, Kaunos. Circa 450-430 BC. AR Stater (18mm, 11.49 g, 9h). Winged female figure in kneeling-running stance left, head right, holding kerykeion and wreath / Baetyl, with handles at apex; inverted Δ (K in Carian) to upper left, pelleted fields at sides; all within incuse square. Konuk 90 (O33/R31); Konuk, Coin M24; Troxell, Winged 25 (same dies); SNG Keckman 824 (same obv. die); SNG von Aulock 2347; BMC Cilicia 5 (Mallos, same dies). Good VF, toned.

Ex Bowers & Ruddy FPL (Fall 1980), no. 41.
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Very cool and excellent write-up.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Great addition SmEagle1795. I read all of your write ups and enjoy the history and beauty of the coins. Thanks for sharing. image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is neat that you would post this, right now i am shopping for a meteorite.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is neat that you would post this, right now i am shopping for a meteorite. >>

Happy hunting! I find it very intriguing how we coin collectors seem to have the same tangential interests. I love meteorites - here's one which I bought from a Heritage auction a couple years ago, probably my favorite:

"CAMPO DEL CIELO METEORITE
    Iron, coarse octahedrite
    Gran Chaco, Argentina

This Campo del Cielo exhibits well-defined regmaglypts (the small thumbprint-like impressions in the fusion crust caused by frictional burning and melting as the meteorite plunges to Earth). A protuberance on one side evokes a human profile. Accompanied by an ebony display stand, this is a winsome example of a meteorite. 5.25 x 6.75 x 3.5 inches and 4.45 kg (9.8 pounds)."
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    very cool and a great write up as always

hadn't seen this coin type before

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233

Another fabulous coin, photo, and writeup! WANT!

I have a modest assortment of meteorites too, including two tiny pieces of the moon and two slices of the Esquel pallasite. Alas, though... I have no screaming meteorites image

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super cool.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just keeps getting better and better.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    The coin is really cool. The history is great. Together they are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CAMPO DEL CIELO METEORITEIron, coarse octahedrite >>

That is ironic, i have had my eye on an example fron that very fall, although a much more modest example.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>
    image >>

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Very interesting about the baetyl.

I like baetyls.

Especially on Abbey Road and The White Album.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (for the coin, the history and writeup, the 'like-gun', the meteorite, and especially the fact that I was not the only one to see a screaming face in that meteorite).

• Options
    SmEagle,
    You always win hands down for having the coolest coins. A couple of weeks ago I was on the island of Delos, birthplace of Apollo and another early religious site. As you pull into the docking area, you see the foundation ruins of dozens of early temples...even one to the goddess Isis. It must have been awe inspiring to the worshipers.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice write up SmE.

I do not have any meteorites. image I'm in the wrong part of the world for them really. I do have some sweet sweet fossils from the Mazon Creek Formation though! Worms or jellyfish anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage

I like baetyls.

Especially on Abbey Road and The White Album. >>

Took me a second but produced quite a belly-laugh image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>imageimage

I like baetyls.

Especially on Abbey Road and The White Album. >>

Took me a second but produced quite a belly-laugh image >>

Not a bad pun, if I do say so myself, but TIF2's "Meteorite Scream" was far better. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article and interesting coin!

There was also the Sacred Black Stone of Elagabal:

Antoninus Pius Provincial AE - Sacred Stone of Emesa Syria
    Obverse: Laureate bust right - AVT KAI TI AI ANTONEINOC CEB EV
    Reverse: Eagle standing right on sacred stone of Elagabal - EMICHNWN (Emesa)
    Size: 23mm Weight: 8.71gm Catalog: BMC 1

Emesa began to mint coins during the reign of Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161) when it became a major city.

The reverse depicts the Black Stone of Emesa, which was worshiped in Syria as the god Elagabal.
    The stone is believed to be a meteorite.

Elagabal had always been worshipped with much pomp and devotion, accompanied by music and dancing.
    On coins, the stone is usually shown with an eagle spreading its wings over the object in a protective way.

The cult of Elagabal was later introduced into Rome by the emperor Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus,
    who was later known as Elagabalus after his stone.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I have that coin as well, WillieBoyd! There are several other meteorite-depicting coins on my hit list.

Since the reverse shows a meteorite, here's the coin sitting on two thin slices of the Esquel pallasite:

...and one of the slices held up to the clear blue sky, showing the fabulous olivine crystals. Peridot from outer space... how cool is that?

Check out this full slice of the Esquel (not my picture, not my slice)...

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>..and one of the slices held up to the clear blue sky, showing the fabulous olivine crystals. Peridot from outer space... how cool is that? >>

Uh, that is way beyond cool! I had no idea there were examples like that.

Now I have to start researching meteorites. I would love to own an exotic example or two like that.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Peridot from outer space... how cool is that? >>

Astronomically cool.

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Astronomically cool. >>

LOL. Well said.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

Astronomically cool. >>

imageimageimage

And given the context, that statement may not even be hyperbolic!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I've been watching a lot of Meteorite related shows on YouTube recently. I would love to find one.

You might also find this article interesting "Meteorites in Cult and Religion ":

http://www.meteoris.de/basics/cult1.html