Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cromwell Halfcrown

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've recently learned how to upload photos, so let's start with a 1658 Cromwell Halfcrown in PCGS MS-62. It actually is unc, with slightly PL surfaces, but the toning is a bit dark. I think the old time world collectors would call this an xf+
In any event, let me know what you think as you will not offend me. An NGC MS-62 recently sold at Heritage for a lot of money, but it looked nicer than this one. I got this at the right price, uncs are tough, as was Cromwell, apparently, so it's a keeper.image

Tom

Comments

• Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Beauty! I always wanted a Cromwell.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coin in awesome condition and a wonderful photograph.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, what they would call a good ef in the UK, and that often translates to mint state here.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and a terrific example- I suspect it would not grade MS across the pond.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's got MS details and all just can't tell from the picture if there is much or any luster or surface feel except maybe for the reverse top by the date area - this particular example presents a challenge to grade as is, and I'm not so sure across the pond would grade it lower - I suspect in hand its a 62 indeed.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a little chatter in the left reverse fields and, as you can see some lighter areas on the high points of the portrait and devices, but the toning is original and a bit heavy. thank you for the comments....a good xf...I think that is about right by European standards....but I'll take the PCGS grade.

Tom

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a "wow" coin. I too have always wanted a Cromwell.

To date, I haven't even owned a Commonwealth coin yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Rob, same here no Commonwealth coins for me either.

Nice piece, and I think a very nice representation of Cromwell.