Home Precious Metals

Do any of you use bitcoin?

Or is it too volatile/dangerous to be used as a currency? It has plenty of security risks-like when bitcoins are stolen online...think Mt. Gox. And what "backs it up"? What government stands behind it to declare its value by fiat? Do you see bitcoin being a major player in the payment system industry in the future?

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the idea that the chain of owners for every bitcoin is readable. to me its like paper money without the advantage of being anonymous . I'll stick with the paper
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paper money is readable in quantity. How do drug dealers get their hands on millions in Bens?

<< <i>Paper money is readable in quantity. How do drug dealers get their hands on millions in Bens? >>

from the friendly folks at HSBC
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So would this be the result of the accumulation over time of small amounts at the street level or do their distributors maintain large piles of cash? Or is it "working capital" that never gets deposited/laundered?

<< <i>So would this be the result of the accumulation over time of small amounts at the street level or do their distributors maintain large piles of cash? Or is it "working capital" that never gets deposited/laundered? >>

That's peanuts , its only 2.7 days of the Fed's QE program at its peakimage
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    digital currency similar to bitcoin will have it's role, but not until it becomes a product of respected banks (if you can find one). Major banks are currenly exploring this field.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like the idea that the chain of owners for every bitcoin is readable. to me its like paper money without the advantage of being anonymous . I'll stick with the paper >>

It is good you realize this! Sometimes people act like bitcoin is anonymous, but in truth, every transaction in the world is recorded for everyone to see forever. It wouldn't even work without that!

I think it is also true, but not generally mentioned, that until somebody 'mines' your transaction, it hasn't really cleared. So you maybe can't really spend them at will.

It is a very interesting exercise in computer science, but I wouldn't treat it as money.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.