Home Sports Talk
Options

What were you doing at age 11?

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you couldn't care less about golf, I honestly would have a hard time conveying just how impressive this feat is. Click on the link below and take a look at this little girl. She qualified for the mother of all tournaments -- the U.S. Women's Open. To put it into perspective, it's the equivalent of an 11-year-old boy playing in the same tournament -- a major, no less -- as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

She shot 78 today. Three bad holes, and +1 for the other 15. She beat 20 golfers, and that number will undoubtedly go higher with players still on the course. Oh, and she partook of ice cream right after her round. Unfreakingreal.

Lucy Li

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Watching the Tigers head to the World Series. Denny McLain was halfway to a 31-6 season.

All was well with the world.

Golf?....putt putt every other week or so.
  • Options
    When I was 11 Topps made a lot of o/c George Brett cards with a lot of printing defects.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see 1981.............

BMX bike riding
    backyard football games
    hitting baseballs with my buddies in my yard
    riding my bike to the sub shop to play Missile Command, Centipede and occasionaly Asteroids
    getting beat up at the bus stop by the neighborhood bully ( And it being OK )
    riding my bike to wherever I needed to go
  • Options

<< <i>getting beat up at the bus stop by the neighborhood bully ( And it being OK ) >>

Boy...we all had one of those.

I always fought back...at least until he pulled a knife.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    there was no Internet, but there were magazines.
  • Options

<< <i>there was no Internet, but there were magazines. >>

....and newspapers. Really good newspapers!
  • Options

<< <i>

....and newspapers. Really good newspapers! >>

heh heh. we used to get paid a pocket full of change to throw those at the feet of old folks from a passing Schwinn. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

....and newspapers. Really good newspapers! >>

heh heh. we used to get paid a pocket full of change to throw those at the feet of old folks from a passing Schwinn. image >>

Then have to collect from the same old timer on Saturday. image
  • Options
    penny pinchers!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>penny pinchers!!!!! image >>

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was 11, I was trying to scrounge up dollars to spend hours at the arcade.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another impressive 78 today. I caught her approach shot to 18 today, and I've seen arrows that aren't that straight. Almost dunked the putt for a bird. I'm still amazed.

In other news, Eldrick will be teeing it up next weekend!
  • Options

<< <i>In other news, Eldrick will be teeing it up next weekend! >>

Ruh Roh.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late 50's early 60's. Playing catch with my 10 yr old brother. We would also play "ghost" baseball in the front yard with just the two of us. We also played ball off the roof with a tennis ball. You had to throw it on the roof and have it bounce twice before it could be in play. If the other person missed it it was a hit. If you caught it it was an out. Over the roof was an out. In the gutter after 2 bounces was a homerun. We also hit rocks with a 2 X 4 into a small pond while we were watering the cows. We tried to dig dugouts in a pasture by the house before dad stopped that. The first bat that we used was a Winchester bat of my dads from when he was a kid. We cracked it and nailed it backed together and taped it up. I still have that bat. We had dad's old catchers mitt but that got lost somewhere along the way. The good "ole" days.image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember using the money I was supposed to drop off at the Rectory for candy bar sales for 1980 Topps baseball wax packs, then wondering how the heck I was going to cover it later on, LOL.. image

Also, remember playing "stoop ball" in Brooklyn where I grew up...We'd pick out some poor soul's stoop (preferably one with sharp edges on the steps) and hurl a Spalding at the edge of the step~if you hit the point at just the right spot that ball would rocket across the street and off the houses on the other side of the street for a home run!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running for my life, trying to avoid getting in trouble with the nuns in grammar school... Playing baseball and hockey with my friends also.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Looking at the backs of 1983 baseball cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at the backs of 1983 baseball cards. >>

...and writing down all the birthdays I'll bet. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wreaking havoc somewhere...
    Good for you.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    In the summer fishing and being a terror, in the winter cross country skiing and being a terror.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    11 years old puts me in 1991

Playing in an arcade, lighting fireworks all summer, and scoping out hotties.