Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin that you know is in the Pogue Collection

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the greatest collections of all time. There are pics out there of coins in the collection - let's post a few

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    That 95 $1 looks like a really nice match for the Rodgers 1794.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Can we fill a Box of 20 here?
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few:

• Options
    PCGS MS66 ex: Eliasberg
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    TDN...Is the sale going to be split up over a period of time as Richmond was, or sold all at once. I believe that $300,000,000 is an estimate on value. Quite a big gulp.
  • Options
    It simply HAS to be split up over time. I cannot imagine the market handling a sale of that magnitude in a short period.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS66 ex: Eliasberg
    image >>

Just AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

WAY over the top beautiful!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what great coins. Incredible collection. Super respect for the Pogues.

I have seen the 1854-S Half Eagle in person. David Akers displayed it a long time ago, maybe 1999?, at a big show. At the time, it was in "real" slab. One of those large 10 pound capital plastics holders. I always loved those. I can still recall my first thought upon seeing the 54-S - wholly crap - is that what I think it is??? Neat coin.

I think I've read somewhere (Doug Winter) that the Pogues bought the finest know 1854-S Quarter Eagle in the sale after it was in the Bass sale. AU50? Sorry I cannot find any pics.

Most of his coins were bought long ago, before coin archives, internet, etc, so unless its an extreme rarity - not many pics floating around. But I really enjoy these that are posted.

Hellova Father, Son collection. I've been having a blast helping my Father build a commem collection. I couldn't imagine what the Pogues family dinner conversation was like. "Soooooo Son, we just picked up another 1804 Class I, should we go for a roll of them? No Pops, we need to work on upgrading our Fat Head Fives, our average grade is only MS67, or we can just do a set grade review with PCGS, maybe get a 68 or two, and a plus here and there. Our upgrade fees would only be a little over a million dollars "

I wonder if the Pogues are quitting collecting because TDN snatched the specimen 1794 Dollar from the jaws of the PogueMonster? Its the centerpiece of early federal coinage - the Pogue's focus. A regular old non presentation MS66 will not do!!!!! Maybe its stamps.....who bought that $9mm stamp the other day????

To participate, here's the Hugon 1901-S, according to Stewart Blay, was bought by the Pogues.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    That theory was already bandied about, that the Pogues are selling bec. TDN beat them out for the 1794 dollar -- seems unlikely. Anyway for whatever reason they're doing their exit strategy.

Funny to think of those individuals rich enough to buy the whole collection in a private treaty -- I suppose if Gates wanted to, he easily could.

The $9 mil stamp seems about right for that famous rarity, but for $9 mil it's surely an ugly stamp that suffered under the ownership of the late DuPont. Bit faded and such. Who knows exactly how he kept it over 30+ years of ownership.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly, the Pogue collection will be sold in TPG slabs. But does anyone know how much of the Pogue collection is currently TPG graded?? Could it be that in the lead up to the auction we will start seeing significant changes in top pop figures?

OINK
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been having a blast helping my Father build a commem collection. >>

PM sent.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That theory was already bandied about, that the Pogues are selling bec. TDN beat them out for the 1794 dollar >>

The Pogues were active buyers in the Missouri cabinet loooong after the 1794 $1 auction. So if that was the reason, it was quite a delayed reaction.
  • Options
    Unique J1520. Photo from USPatterns.com.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i own probably the two most valuable non-coin 1804 memorabilia of the entire Child's auction of the 1804 silver dollar!

Ray Merena let me take home both posters of the Child's 1804 silver dollar auction catalogue cover page auction along with a Bowers and Merena Child's auction sessions and lot viewing times information that stood up on two separate easels at that auction!

They were going to throw it out!! I figured why not save it?

I still have it! Now i have to go and find it!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Now that is cool!
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, super cool poster, oreville.

Both Winter's and Laura's essays were really passionate. Laura's especially. Much different than what she usually writes. Its pretty clear she loves coins and gets it. Keep it going.
    I though tit was cool how Winter mentioned Brent coming to LB and showing Bust Quarters from his briefcase. Reminds me of Pittman. Yet he would only show one coin at a time - just pull something crazy out of his pocket. On the other hand, the rest of the stuff he brought to a show what usually in a display case.

BTW, any rumors as to what might exist in the Pogues's collection?

For example, we all know where the top graded 1796 Quarters are.... but maybe they got a monster 35 years ago and its a 68? Since a good chunk of the coins were bought pre-PCGS/NGC, are they still raw?
    Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I, too, saw the early quarters when he had them at the ANA show so I will focus my response on those. They were all certified and mostly PCGS. I cannot recall any specific NGC coins but I believe they were there. The 1796 was a killer looking PCGS 65 or 66 (IIRC). Two highlights of the set were the Eliasberg 1821&1822 proof quarters that I used to own that made their way into the set. I am sure, with the time passed and also the Newman sale, that the set now is even more spectacular. Seeing it was one of my top numismatic memories!
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about how many coins were bought in the 80's and 90's that if resubmitted will easily upgrade. Yes pops are going to change. If not at the beginning of the sale then within weeks after the sale
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Oreville: <<Ray Merena let me take home both posters of the Child's 1804 silver dollar auction catalogue cover page auction along with a Bowers and Merena Child's auction sessions and lot viewing times information that stood up on two separate easels at that auction! ... They were going to throw it out!! I figured why not save it? >>

Does anyone have super-enlargements or original photographic records relating to the Lelan Rogers coins that Stack's (New York) auctioned in Nov. 1995? The catalogue plates are really cool. I do not remember any posters or enlargements on easels at the auction, though the event was a long time ago and I do not remember every detail.

In any event, both the Rogers 1796 and 1797 half dollars are now in the Pogue Collection and will be auctioned in May. There are pictures in my article, on the SBG site and on PCGS CoinFacts.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 1: Finest 1796 – ’97 Draped Bust Half Dollar
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love their 1804 Dime (I love everything they own really) But that's a coin I like
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the 1804 dimes as well - The betting order for the 3 1804 dimes are lot #1045 is the 1804 13 star in AU55 from the Pittman pedigree. I really nice coin but a little raw IMHO. But hey you can't get much better... Lot 1046 is the 1804 14 stars in AU58 from the Clapp/Eliasberg pedigree. This coin has been CAC'd and sold in the Ed Price auction for over $600k. A wow price and even though there exists a mint state this one I feel is equal to the mint state coin. Really a great coin and I would like to see if the price reaches what it sold for in the Price sale. Lot 1047 is the 1804 14 star in AU53. This one is a real beaut. I really like it. All 2 1804 dimes are wonderful and I had the chance to view, study and hold these coins. I love them all!

Easton Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file