Home Autographs Forum
Options

Harry Truman autographed postcard??

I am new to the autograph forum, but am a regular on the sport memeorabilia forum. I have this old postcard that has printed on it that it was "Autographed by President Harry Truman Especially for Murray Junior Chamber of Commerce." Then, there is his signature in which it is inscribed as follows: "A grand accomplishment Harry Truman". This postcard commemerated the opening of Kentucky Dam, a TVA project, in around 1945. Any ideas as to whether it is authentic or is a facsimile? Any thought on value? Thanks.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Large scan?

Eric
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    Hello,

A much larger scan would be good - I can't see the ink or anything, especially on this linen card. Truman was known for Autopen. This does not look like an Autopen. The printing is part of the card - the "special" printing at the bottom is in the same font as information the top of the card. It is unlikely such printing work would be done for a single card, and if that is true then the chances increase that this signature is some sort of facsimile. Hopefully our presidential expert will chime in here. I see ink "dispersal" when I invert this image, but that could still be a small run printed facsimile publicity postcard for a local chamber run or something, which as a "one-off" series, would not mach any known Autopen template. With a good glass you ought to be able to see if a fountain pen nib bit into the paper which would at least rule out a simple pre-print. A large, high quality scan would be good. If hand signed, my ballpark guess[i] from past auctions results would be $200-$350 or so.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm 100% positive that postcard is NOT authentically autographed by Harry Truman. The inscription and signature are part of the printing process.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    And there you have it. Facsimile.

Eric
  • Options
    Thanks BTW! This was good and your eye is appreciated.

Eric
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks BTW! This was good and your eye is appreciated.

Eric >>

You are welcome. Sorry for the slow response but Summer session of law school has started and I don't visit the board nearly as often.

mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    A point for judgebuck,

It would be odd to go to this much trouble to produce a card with the personal printing and NOT have it dedicated by the signer, especially with the sentence of text.

Eric
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Mike and Eric,

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

David

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Cool.