Home Metal Detecting

June 15, 2014: 3 Silvers, Shield Nickel, Large Cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got permission to a site that dates to the early 1800s and made it out today. Frist signal was a 1923 Merc! We had quite a bit of rain on Friday, but for some reason the ground was dry, and very hard to get past the grass. Things slowed for a while and got a deeper quarter signal. Expecting a quarter (hopefully silver), about 6-7 inches down a green disc comes out. Turns out to be an 1851 Large cent!

Later on got a wheat cent in the hole, put the probe in, another signal- wheat cent. Then another two wheats. Then there was a final signal, probably just another wheat. The ground was tough and upon trying to get a little more dirt I see flashy silver. Said YES and uh oh at the same time. Silver Washington with some new scuff marks, but fortunately it is a common date. Ended with one more silver Washington.

Gold plated ring looks older and it marked "12k 1/20".

Ended with

1868? Shield Nickel
1923 Merc
1953-D Washington
1940 Washington
1851 Large Cent
Some wheat cents, but haven't checked them yet

HH all!

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul image. That 1940 Washington is interesting, the letters and date are worn down into the rims.

I had a little time yesterday and managed to tune my detector a bit better. Practiced in my yard with my test garden. I also did a bit of detecting around my yard but found nothing. Tried a few targets but they were ghosts, didn't turn up anything. I have a little more time this afternoon, so I hope to hit a park or tot lot. I'm going to try one I haven't hit before. Also managed to pick up a couple of books on local history from the local historical society.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Great finds. In almost a year of detecting I have never found a silver quarter and certainly not a large cent.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver finds. whos gonna argue with that. best wishes
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great day !!!!
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Certainly can't complain about a day like that. First silver quarter of the year too, which feels nice. Wish there were more sites like this out there.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent finds.... that site has potential for much more...Good luck... Cheers, RickO
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!
    Looking forward to seeing those seated silvers that are surely lurking somewhere deep at this site! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing a big green copper disc come outta the dirt is exciting. That first large cent "as found" photo perked me up.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.