Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

30k cards

I have 30k cards ranging from hockey to basketball to football to baseball. I want to sell them but have no idea how to go about it . Anyone can help it would be great.

Comments

• For starters - years, conditions, any complete sets, manufacturers, base cards, inserts, how stored, where are they coming from, etc. If they were stored in the back of a very damp basement, a trash bag might be your best bet. If they were well taken care of and have numerous HOF and/or rare cards you could be buying the company that makes trash bags. We need some more info.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I think what he is saying is it depends on if they suck or if they rule.
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    More details would be helpful. I would do by sport. Easier to stay focused
  • They are stored in 5000ct boxes in mint shape. There are hall of famers , legends of the game etc. They are mainly topps upper deck and fleer
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so if the years range from 1990 to 2010, you're out of luck. It's very possible you have a few $5 - $10 cards, but it's a b*tch to go through it all. The best way to sell it (if you have plenty of spare time) is to sort them into player lots (Jeter, Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, etc.) and sell them that way. Or take a bunch of pictures and put them on the BST forum. You might get some interest.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, so if the years range from 1990 to 2010, you're out of luck. It's very possible you have a few $5 - $10 cards, but it's a b*tch to go through it all. The best way to sell it (if you have plenty of spare time) is to sort them into player lots (Jeter, Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, etc.) and sell them that way. Or take a bunch of pictures and put them on the BST forum. You might get some interest. >>

I agree with this but would change the years to 1980 to 2010. Sort by player and then by team. Put doubles of your star player lots into the team lots to raise their values too.
  • Id say 80 percent of them are 1970 to 1990

• << <i>Id say 80 percent of them are 1970 to 1990 >>

If the 70s stuff is in the condition you say it is, then you might have something.
  • How should I sort the cards? By Maker, team ,player, series, year?

<< <i>How should I sort the cards? By Maker, team ,player, series, year? >>

Any cards from the 1970's sort by year and sell those lots.

Any cards from 1980-present sort by player. Only pick out the stars though (as mentioned above). Don't waste your time with commons and semi stars from these years.

When you're done you should have something like this:

1970 Topps lot
    1971 Topps lot
    1979 Topps lot
    ------------------
    Pete Rose Lot
    Nolan Ryan Lot
    Derek Jeter Lot
    ------------------
    25k commons

Sell all of the separately.

It should be noted that this process will take 8-10 hours.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Can I sell commons?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Depends, what kind of condition they are in and what year?? If you have mint commons from the 70s, you might want to check the population report on here and see if you have something worth grading that is a low population. But if you are looking to just sell quickly, I would sell them in lots. I would check on eBay to get you a reference point.
  • They are all fresh out of packs straight into a box

<< <i>Can I sell commons? >>

Of course. Commons and semi-stars from 1980-2010 generally bring in pennies (even mint condition ones). It would be best to sell the commons from these years all together.
    My eBay Store =)

• Whats a fair price for commons?

<< <i>Whats a fair price for commons? >>

Not much..

Here's an example

Half the cards you have, but they're all from the same set (1980) and they're all commons.

If you have a mixed group with twice as many cards I would say $75-100 would be fair.. maybe.
    My eBay Store =)

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Go to sportlots.com and sell the commons.

Its free to list and you will actually sell some that you cant sell anywhere else

Commons from 1988-1991, you might as well burn for heat in the winter
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    If it were me, I would "cherry pick" cards of any value and just donate the balance to charity. Based on what you describe, it would seem the time spent sorting and advertising lots for sale really is not going to get you great returns on your time and effort.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

I think this guy is playing games with the board.If he has 50 posts and pays any attention at all to what goes on here he knows about vintage,modern, year,condition,commons,ect
    "whats a fair price for commons" ?
    whats a fair price for a house?
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think this guy is playing games with the board.If he has 50 posts and pays any attention at all to what goes on here he knows about vintage,modern, year,condition,commons,ect
    whats a fair price for a house? >>

If so, great troll Hoarder of Wheat, but I'm betting he just spends most of his time on the coin side of the forums. He should also know that they float in pools, grill up nicely, and like to take showers (as well as occasionally show up in breakfast cereal).
  • I once had 30k cards from 1986-1990. After thumbing through them and multiple trips to the garbage can, I kept about 100. It would be worth your time for anything from the 70's to sort into lots, but expect to get a pennies on the dollar for the 80's stuff, even stars or legends of the game, unless it is their rookie card.

• << <i>

whats a fair price for a house? >>

I am a coin collector. All those posts are from the coin forums. I have no idea about cards and I was just asking for help.
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I can understand that you're a coin collector and not savvy to the ways of the card market, but invest an hour or two in going through them to take a cursory inventory.

General statements like "80 percent are from 1970 to 1990" coupled with "...mainly Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer" are somewhat contradictory. Fleer didn't make any cards until '81, and Upper Deck had just dipped its feet into the water in 1989.

Obviously, more significant values are likely to be found in the selection of 1970's era cards. You say you have 30,000 total cards in monster boxes - or 6 boxes. If you spent 15 or 20 minutes per box and relayed some essential data (as explained in an earlier reply), you'd receive some very pointed, specific information that would make the future time spent with them much more effective.

Just some sincere advice.