Home Sports Talk
Options

Not a fan of Adam Silver

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Do not think that this New York Lawyer will serve the NBA well.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was on the cover of SI dated 5/26/14 with corresponding article of him inside.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Maybe the SI jinx is taking effect...

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What has he done to make you feel this way?
  • Options

<< <i>What has he done to make you feel this way? >>

He has set a low bar for lifetime bans in the NBA.

Interesting to see how this precedent will influence future potential bans, particularly for players if they step over the line.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what Adam Silver will do if during his tenure an NBA player (especially player with star power like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Yoa Ming, Dirk Nowitzsky, Durant, LeBron, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, CP3, etc.) is caught in a Donald Sterling like moment (secretly and illegally recorded video posted on TMZ showing the star player making racist statements)?

Would Silver have the stones to impose a lifetime ban on any such star player?

Or is a lifetime ban appropriate only for old, crotchety owners like Sterling [who the league big wigs and other owners probably looked down upon with disdain even before the TMZ video was broadcast] who would never be given the opportunity to purchase an NBA franchise today?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care one way or another but if glicker doesnt care for him, I probably should..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He hasn't been commissioner long enough for me to formulate an opinion. Anyone else in the same position could and likely would have done what he did regarding Sterling so I guess I don't share the same hero worship that some seem to have for him. As to Sanction's questions... some of those star players have undoubtedly already made provocative statements in the past that simply weren't recorded and/or given a pass.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Though I think the lifetime ban is a bit strong I like that he took action. So many people, even those in power, are afraid to take a risk. He went strong to hole on that one!

I loved the SI article. I found it very interesting.

So far I am a fan of Adam Silver.
  • Options

<< <i>Though I think the lifetime ban is a bit strong I like that he took action. So many people, even those in power, are afraid to take a risk. He went strong to hole on that one!

So far I am a fan of Adam Silver. >>

Should players be eligible for the same lifetime ban under similar circumstances, or just the owners?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Though I think the lifetime ban is a bit strong I like that he took action. So many people, even those in power, are afraid to take a risk. He went strong to hole on that one!

So far I am a fan of Adam Silver. >>

Should players be eligible for the same lifetime ban under similar circumstances, or just the owners? >>

That's easy--just the owners, Glick!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>That's easy--just the owners, Glick! >>

So what about Mark Cuban and his prejudicial comments regarding young guys in hoodies?

To properly enforce the rules, perhaps Silver needs to outline them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's easy--just the owners, Glick! >>

So what about Mark Cuban and his prejudicial comments regarding young guys in hoodies?

To properly enforce the rules, perhaps Silver needs to outline them. >>

Cuban gets a pass--after all, he was speaking "from the heart." Fans love Cuban, and his outspokenness and flambouyant nature, not crotchedy old 80-year-olds, silly!

• Options