Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How goes it 2014 Mint set hunters?

Anyone noticing trends or have anything to say about this years quality? My observations: Quality is poor across the whole set!!! I am, however, finding some superb Proof-like quarters! I've been thru 100+ sets and sent 8 coins to NGC and 5 to PCGS!!! Pretty pathetic! In case you're wondering why NGC........for the PL designations on the quarters. Just got some NGC grades actually and got 2 MS68PL on 2 quarters which are first 68PL ever handed out in the new quarter series. I wish PCGS used the PL label on moderns!! It's a shame that so many superb PL coins go undesignated in PCGS holders, my opinion anyway. Back to the hunt...........

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that, overall, quality is close to poor. And, I agree PCGS should utilize the PL designation on many coin series.

Nickels and half dollars seem the worst to me with Pres Dollars not far behind. But, even some National Park coins seem very elusive in high grade. I have also screened well over 100 sets and have yet to find a single nice Everglades P mint coin. The D mint though is probably the nicest quarter for me thus far (3-4 nice examples).

These exhaustive searches of mint sets are seldom a money maker for me. I just need the quarters for my 1932-date set so I do it.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would agree that, overall, quality is close to poor. And, I agree PCGS should utilize the PL designation on many coin series. Nickels and half dollars seem the worst to me with Pres Dollars not far behind. But, even some National Park coins seem very elusive in high grade. I have also screened well over 100 sets and have yet to find a single nice Everglades P mint coin. The D mint though is probably the nicest quarter for me thus far (3-4 nice examples). >>

What he said...

I'd also add the Roosevelt P's are poor quality as well...