Home Sports Talk

Manny Machado

CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
Watching the play, it clearly looks like he let that bat go intentionally. You, Manny Machado, will now forever be a punk in my book.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    He has some anger issues to clear up.

<< <i>Watching the play, it clearly looks like he let that bat go intentionally. >>

First thing I noticed when watching the video was the fact he let the bat go way after the pitch passed by him. One of the announcers makes the same observation. I hope he gets suspended for at least 5 games. There's no room for stuff like this in baseball.

link
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    He is a punk. After he clippped Norris in the head on his back swing, Norris
    said most guys would say "Are you okay?" Norris said he said nothing, he
    just smiled. image I wish I could find that story, looking for it, no success. Read
    it yesterday.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He is a punk. After he clippped Norris in the head on his back swing, Norris
    said most guys would say "Are you okay?" Norris said he said nothing, he
    just smiled. image I wish I could find that story, looking for it, no success. Read
    it yesterday. >>

At least with the way MLBNetwork cut the highlight package, it looked like Machado actually smirked after Norris was on his way back to the dugout after being taken out of the game which leads me to believe that second backswing (he got him in earlier in the game too) was perhaps intentional. If it wasn't intentional, then the lift on that swing and it's subsequent follow through would explain his current .636 OPS. Machado immediately jumps up to Carlos Gomez or Brian Wilson's level of baseball players I'd like to see say something belligerent to Kyle Farnsworth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mt0_0k40t4
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should he have thrown the bat? No. But I do like the fire and unwillingness to back down to players older than him. I believe it will give this team the spark it needs right now.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Should he have thrown the bat? No. But I do like the fire and unwillingness to back down to players older than him. I believe it will give this team the spark it needs right now. >>

The spark a team needs is someone speaking up in the clubhouse and telling them to earn their paycheck.

If he wants to show his unwillingness to back down from vets, maybe he should instead stand his ground at the plate with his bat and put the ball in the field, instead of putting the bat in the field. It was a childish act from a prima donna that everyone has fawned over since he entered the league. Must be the DC area, because this was a very Bryce Harper thing to do.

<< <i>

<< <i>Should he have thrown the bat? No. But I do like the fire and unwillingness to back down to players older than him. I believe it will give this team the spark it needs right now. >>

The spark a team needs is someone speaking up in the clubhouse and telling them to earn their paycheck. >>

Yep or lead by example and hard work kinda like Cal Ripken would do.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The spark a team needs is someone speaking up in the clubhouse and telling them to earn their paycheck.

If he wants to show his unwillingness to back down from vets, maybe he should instead stand his ground at the plate with his bat and put the ball in the field, instead of putting the bat in the field. It was a childish act from a prima donna that everyone has fawned over since he entered the league. Must be the DC area, because this was a very Bryce Harper thing to do. >>

Reminds me of Richard Sherman image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    According to CSNNC Machado was aiming his bat at the pitcher but missed by 50 degrees to the left.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throwing a helmet and acting like a whiny brat because he got tagged and trying to start a fight is just stupid. That was just so bush league it's hard to fathom. And then whacking the catcher with his bat twice? Then flinging his bat? C'mon. The Orioles were wrong at pretty much every step of the way in this confrontation - starting a fight over getting tagged (not even in a bad way! It was just a normal tag!) and then throwing at the head of the guy who made the tag. Then whacking the catcher in the head twice. Yeah, you do all that, you're gonna get thrown at. I understand Machado being upset his knees were thrown at but...well, you had it coming.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a bush league punk move and absolutely uncalled for. He better wear a thicker helmet next time up vs A's.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    He needs to be pinned down in his bed by a tight sheet while his teammates take turns beating him with a pillow case full of bar soap.
    loved that movie

<< <i>loved that movie >>

I remember the scene but can't remember the movie nameimage
    Full Metal Jacket

<< <i>Full Metal Jacket >>

I can't believe I forgot that. Maybe I'm the one that should be beat? Haha
    "Holy s*** ! What is that? What the f*** is that Private Pyle?"

"It's a jelly doughnut sir!"

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many legendary quotes from such a classic movie. Born and raised Texan here, so I give myself a pass:

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: Where are you from, anyway?

Pvt. Cowboy: SIR, TEXAS, SIR!

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: TEXAS? Holy dogsh*t! Only steers and queers come from Texas!! And you don't much look like a steer to me so that kind of narrows it down...

I'll stop there. image
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    At 17 seconds of the second clip you can see a ton of empty seats.

Folks are getting sick of the thugs in the game.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At 17 seconds of the second clip you can see a ton of empty seats.

Folks are getting sick of the thugs in the game. >>

Or they just don't care to stick around when the home team is down 10-0, in the bottom of the 8th inning.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At 17 seconds of the second clip you can see a ton of empty seats.

Folks are getting sick of the thugs in the game. >>

Or they just don't care to stick around when the home team is down 10-0, in the bottom of the 8th inning. >>

....and they miss the play of the week!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should he have thrown the bat? No. But I do like the fire and unwillingness to back down to players older than him. I believe it will give this team the spark it needs right now.

being a Fan is one thing but you should really be embarrassed to be in support of what he did.

Machado struck me last season as a very, very talented young player with a bright future and playing with a proud organization that was on the way back up. after these recent events I have my doubts. Buck Showwalter had better get this young man's attention(and quick) before someone gets hurt. I doubt you'd find much support for what he did on any Team including the O's and I, for one, will be eager to see a rematch with the A's.

• athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Should he have thrown the bat? No. But I do like the fire and unwillingness to back down to players older than him. I believe it will give this team the spark it needs right now.

being a Fan is one thing but you should really be embarrassed to be in support of what he did.

Machado struck me last season as a very, very talented young player with a bright future and playing with a proud organization that was on the way back up. after these recent events I have my doubts. Buck Showwalter had better get this young man's attention(and quick) before someone gets hurt. I doubt you'd find much support for what he did on any Team including the O's and I, for one, will be eager to see a rematch with the A's. >>

+1
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Machado was a punk and started his crying with the 'hard tag' incident at third and I'm against him hitting the catcher with his bat becasue the catcher meant no physical harm to Machado. Having said that...

I'm not completely against him throwing a bat the way he did. It was the second pitch in a row he was clearly thrown at. Why can a pitcher use a baseball as a weapon and the hitter can't use his bat? What can I do as a hitter to retaliate against a 90 mph hard object flying at me? Seems like a 34 inch piece of lumber would be sufficient. It's not like he threw the bat first... he was thrown at two times in a row. It's because baseball has the unwritten rule that a pitcher is 'allowed' to hit a batter that comes with hardly any repercussions. I also dont liek the idea that a rookie needs to get beaned to earn his stripes in the bigs. Yet another unwritten rule that clearly has no reason. Throw the bat Machado, I truly hope some other hitters do it after repeatedly being thrown at... maybe pitchers will think twice before intentionally beaning hitters if it has some sort of equal repercussion.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The odds of Machado being injured by either one of those pitches was negligible. They were both low and directed at his legs. It would be another thing if the pitcher was aiming for his head but that was not the case. Throwing a bat is serious. To encourage a hitter to do that is madness. Someone could get really hurt.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    You seriously hope more people start to throw their bats? I hope you don't have children to raise otherwise you'll be saying "It's ok to run with scissors, they have to learn sometime the proper way to hold 'em!"
    "Throwing a bat is serious. To encourage a hitter (batter) to do that is madness.
    Someone could get really hurt" Props to you A's fan..could not agree more