Home Sports Talk
Options

In 21 days.....

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
An NBA starter will play 11 games at 40 plus minutes per.

An MLB pitcher will throw 100 pitches in each of 4 games.

An NFL running back will carry the ball 30 times in each of three games.

A Tour De France rider will pedal on 18 or so tough legs, some uphill.

A pro golfer will play in 3 tournaments with multiple practice rounds in between.

California Chrome will win the Preakness, and three weeks later, not be prepared to race a mile and a half.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Mglicker will start another thread on how pro athletes today pale in comparison to yesteryear's heroes when boys were boys and men were men and MG walked uphill both ways on his way to and from school. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>...Mglicker will start another thread on how pro athletes today pale in comparison to yesteryear's heroes when boys were boys and men were men and MG walked uphill both ways on his way to and from school. image >>

Did you read the post Grote, or do you have an auto responder? My thread was a complimentary to the pro athletes.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...Mglicker will start another thread on how pro athletes today pale in comparison to yesteryear's heroes when boys were boys and men were men and MG walked uphill both ways on his way to and from school. image >>

Did you read the post Grote, or do you have an auto responder? My thread was a complimentary to the pro athletes. >>

Well, that IS a switch compared to your usual MO, no wonder I missed it. I guess 1 out of 1,000 posts are meant to keep the posters honest, LOL...I guess I just assumed your next post would be about flag football and pink wristbands in the NFL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    "California Chrome will win the Preakness, and three weeks later, not be prepared to race a mile and a half."

Why would you say he was "not prepared"? By all accounts, he looked great heading into the race. During the race, he suffered a gash on his foot that no doubt hindered his performance to some degree. He was prepared, he just got beat. It happens.

• Options

<< <i>"California Chrome will win the Preakness, and three weeks later, not be prepared to race a mile and a half."

Why would you say he was "not prepared"? By all accounts, he looked great heading into the race. During the race, he suffered a gash on his foot that no doubt hindered his performance to some degree. He was prepared, he just got beat. It happens. >>

I should have put in the winky guy I suppose.

That was my point. 21 days is plenty of time to get ready for a horse race.
  • Options
    <<<That was my point. 21 days is plenty of time to get ready for a horse race.>>>

To be clear, 21 days isn't really "plenty of time". The program for most horses to race is every 4-5 weeks, only occasionally do they race 3 weeks apart. CC was as prepared as he could be coming off 2 races in the last 5 weeks.

As clownish as CC's owner was post-race, he was right on one point - it is very doubtful we will see another Triple Crown winner in his lifetime.
  • Options
    jdip9, make up your mind as to which side of the debate you wish to be on.

CC would have gotten beat a week later or two weeks later facing the same field.

He was 5 or 6 seconds off the record set by Secretariat. As another poster stated, his time in the Belmont would not have been a winner in any of the last 50 years.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 21 days..... >>

...Manny Machado will still be a douchebag punk
  • Options
    There have always been fresh horses runing the Belmont, both Affirmed and Seattle Slew beat multiple fresh horses when they won their Triple Crowns in 77 and 78.

Had Chrome not suffered a serious gash on his leg after being bumped out of the gate (akin to having a fingernail pulled out, it was described), he may have had a lot more explosiveness to make that final push. Bad luck is all.

The system is fine the way it is. It's supposed to be very tough to win the TC. When Secretariat won in '73, it had been 25 years since Citation won in '48.

• Options

<< <i>The system is fine the way it is. It's supposed to be very tough to win the TC. >>

Absolutely true. Winning the Kentucky Derby is a super elite club, similar to winning the Masters.

We do not lament though each year that we don't have a grand slam winner in golf.

Booby Jones was the only man to do so, in the 1930's I believe.
  • Options
    <<<jdip9, make up your mind as to which side of the debate you wish to be on.

CC would have gotten beat a week later or two weeks later facing the same field.>>>

To debate, I have to understand what we are debating. The OP seemed to indicate CC "wasn't ready" to run 1.5 miles. I argued he was as ready as can be coming off 2 races in 5 weeks, and during the race suffered an injury that may have prevented him from winning.

What I will debate is whether another week or two's rest wouldn't have helped CC, because it undoubtedly would have. With another 7-14 days of rest, and clean trip, he might have very well won.
  • Options

<< <i>What I will debate is whether another week or two's rest wouldn't have helped CC, because it undoubtedly would have. With another 7-14 days of rest, and clean trip, he might have very well won. >>

He may have. Keep in mind though that he did not beat two other Kentucky Derby horses in that race.

Horse racing is about a lot of stuff. A good trip, a competent jockey and like humans, waking up that day feeling at your best.

Horses get bumped, spooked, boxed in, forced to the outside. 12,000 pounds of horses racing at 33 MPH for a mile and a half presents many hazards.

Doubtful that he would win that same race if run 8 weeks from now against the same field, but possible.

• Options
    <<<Horses get bumped, spooked, boxed in, forced to the outside. 12,000 pounds of horses racing at 33 MPH for a mile and a half presents many hazards.

Doubtful that he would win that same race if run 8 weeks from now against the same field, but possible.>>>

Perhaps I should have been more clear - those things you cite are normal during a course of a race, they happen every race...suffering a gash on your heel is not normal. I'd take my chances with CC against that field with a healthy heal and 4-5 weeks rest.

• Options
    We'll never know, and that's part of the story~a broken heel, a breakdown in final stretch due to a broken leg (Charismatic), suffering an injury that prevented him from even making the attempt (I'll Have Another), you name it. that's why the Triple Crown is as elsuive as it is. I for one don't want to see anything changed. Because a horse that wins the TC if they change the rules to make it easier will not be regarded as highly anyway, so what's the point? So whiny sore loser owners like Colbert won't get their feelings (and pockets) hurt?