Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry milestone: Carson City Basic Type Set (Circulation Strikes) at 100%, now working on Com

There are a couple/three coins I'd love to upgrade in this Basic Type Set, primarily the Seated Dollar, to at least an XF45 (would really like an AU50-55, though), and then opportunistically look to upgrade the Trade Dollar and $20 Liberty if the right coin(s) comes along at the right price. I made all the CAC coins that I have in this set, but still have some to send in.

I also started working on the complete set, which adds the three "Arrows" coins. Clearly these will have to be circulated as I cannot afford UNC examples. I picked up a really nice in hand 1873-CC Arrows Seated Half (pictured below) a couple auctions ago, and got outbid on the VG8 OGH Seated Quarter in this Heritage sale, so I'll have to continue to hunt for the Seated Dime and Quarter for a coin with eye appeal at the given grade, which I can afford to buy image

So...there are 10 coins in the Basic Set (which I've completed) and 13 coins in the Complete Set (of which I have 11 below).

My first interest is upgrading the Seated Dollar so if you guys run into XF45-AU55 examples (common date 1870-CC is all I need) at a decent price point, drop me a PM.

Thanks for looking, and it's been a great run to complete the Basic Set...on to the Complete set image

Comments

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, congratulations!
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words to all.

I have two tough coins ahead of me (10c and 25c both with arrows) so I need to figure out how I do that in terms of budget, coin quality, etc. But it should be fun. I will see how I can stretch to find an example that is nice for the grade, at a price point I can manage.

In the meantime, I want to upgrade at least 1 coin ... the Seated $1 (which was a placeholder when I bough it) to an AU50, which would probably better match my set. I also need to send some of them into CAC (haven't sent some in yet) so I'll see how that goes.

Appreciate the support!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That had to be a tough set to complete. Very nice coins. Congratulations.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Nice set, congratulations. The 50C and $5 look strong for their grades.
  • Options
    PQueue, thanks for your words. Yeh, I agree.

The 50C also has amazing mirrors (I wish they did PL at PCGS), and in general is very nice for a 63, and the same goes for the $5. Especially the $5's in 62 grade tend to be a bit sketchy (one is almost better off buying an AU58 for eye appeal as 61's and 62's tend not to have a nice look to them). I still need to send some coins in to CAC (I've sent about half of my collection so far with pretty good results), so we'll see what they say about them.

In a weird way my favorite coin in this set, if I had to pick one is the $10. First off all, it is really a no doubt UNC gold coin from CC in a grade of 62 or under. LOL image But seriously, it is blazing with luster, frosty, totally eye dropping gorgeous in hand. The camera picks up a lot of the little hits and chatter because of the brilliance of the coin, but in hand the coin they are far less noticeable if at all, and it is just amazing. It was one of those I sent to CAC "to get a sticker" not to see if they would sticker it image

I'll post my adventure updates here as I look to send some into CAC and upgrade 1 or 2 key coins, and then buckle down to look for the Arrows 25C and 10C (oh boy).

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set.
    I am a Seated coin guy, but I really love your Morgan dollar. Can't believe that did not qualify as at least PL.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Yorkshireman, I love your tag line. I must have said that myself a 100 times, unfortunately most of the time to no avail image

I am not chasing grades on this set so when I ran across this coin it kind of "spoke to me." image

I thought that this is a about as nice of a coin as I'll find in a straight 65 holder, and CAC agreed.

I've been tempted by some 66+ coins but the price difference is so big that it's hard to justify minor improvement in eye appeal, so I think this coin will be a permanent member of this set.