Home Sports Talk
Options

Time to dismantle the NFL?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
It was a great run. My favorite spectator sport as an adult.

Men played the game with a competiveness unmatched by any other athletic endeavor.

Those days are over. Maybe for the better.

Just read that my all time favorite player, Dan Marino is suing the league.

Dan, boychick, what do you think happens when 300 pound guys slam you into the ground repeatedly? Was it not evident during your playing days that this was a rough and often times dangerous sport?

But you were the best thrower that the game has ever known, and you got paid a ton of money and in my opinion earned every cent.

Hell you made tens of millions of dollars just by losing the same 20 pounds again and again over the last 20 years.

I suspect that even knowing all the potential danger, you would do it all again.

....at any rate, watching watered down football is like watching a fading Willie Mays and Michael Jordan in their later days.

The game is weak and getting weaker. Time to end it and perhaps replace the time slots with cliff diving or Indy racing. Events where the athletes fear little and don't come back crying a few decades later.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NFL is getting politicaly correct, thats part of the problem, and the Concussion craze that is become the newest thing to get up in arms about is making it worse.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How melodramatic! LOL!

The NFL is alive and well and as popular as ever. The level of play and athletic skill are as high as ever.

That's not changing any time soon, no matter how much old timers yearn for "the good ol' days."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The level of play and athletic skill are as high as ever. >>

Of course. With the defenders left powerless, the offense is now wide open. Resembles the Pinball type MLB of the drug era.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard Troy Aikman wanted to get in on the lawsuit action but he got a concussion getting out of bed.

• Options
    The irony is that players today hit harder than they did years ago as players are bigger, faster and better conditioned than ever before.

I would agree that rule changes have certainly emphasized an increase in scoring points, but the NFL knows that fans want to see touchdowns, so that is what they are going to encourage.

Still a great game and deservedly the most popular sport in the U.S. You can't always kvetch about the glory days, though I know that is what many like to engage in.

As for dismantling the NFL? That suggestion is too ridiculous to even respond to, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>As for dismantling the NFL? That suggestion is too ridiculous to even respond to, LOL.. >>

Thank you for responding twice.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As for dismantling the NFL? That suggestion is too ridiculous to even respond to, LOL.. >>

Thank you for responding twice.

image >>

LOL, touche!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I really like this picture, except for one slight problem: that Bear sacking Romo is now his teammate. image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I really like this picture, except for one slight problem: that Bear sacking Romo is now his teammate. image >>

That's funny. I thought that was Melton but wasn't sure
  • Options

<< <i>I really like this picture, except for one slight problem: that Bear sacking Romo is now his teammate. >>

I guess that in 2014, sacking the QB takes on a new meaning.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    And, now Marino is out of the lawsuit- I guess we can keep our NFL and it's pink wristbands
  • Options

<< <i>And, now Marino is out of the lawsuit- I guess we can keep our NFL and it's pink wristbands >>

Glad I could knock (I mean persuade) some sense into him!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with grote15 here....and that doesn't happen too often!image
  • Options

<< <i>I have to agree with grote15 here....and that doesn't happen too often!image >>

My watch just stopped, lol..

And Romo sucks. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to agree with grote15 here....and that doesn't happen too often!image >>

My watch just stopped, lol..

And Romo sucks. image >>

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grote15 finally sees the light on Romo!image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course. With the defenders left powerless, the offense is now wide open. >>

No kidding. It was awesome the way the Broncos ran wild in the Super Bowl, scoring 60+ on their way to a second ring for Peyton.

Wait, that's NOT what happened? Weird.
  • Options

<< <i>Wait, that's NOT what happened? Weird. >>

One game, one team. Gee whiz Wally.

Did you not find it unusual that old and oft injured Peyton Manning (who I am a big fan of), smashed the NFL season TD record by what, 4 or 5 scores?

Guess he was just that much better than Marino. Elway and Montana.

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The NFL is getting politicaly correct, thats part of the problem, and the Concussion craze that is become the newest thing to get up in arms about is making it worse. >>

Did you type this on purpose?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The NFL is getting politicaly correct, thats part of the problem, and the Concussion craze that is become the newest thing to get up in arms about is making it worse. >>

Did you type this on purpose? >>

The opinion seems legitimate. Our nation is at a crossroads of lets protect everyone and still have some fun.

That may work at golf or synchronized swimming, but not at football, at least as we have known it. It is a truly violent game where bones get crushed and heads get slammed. Similar to auto racing, the participants seemed to know the risks going in and accepted the consequences.

Maybe not though, many ex players are coming forward and suing the league claiming ignorance.

Either way, the game keeps getting softer and yet is still quite dangerous. Better to shut it down than covert to touch or flag.
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain if you look up the word hyperbole in the dictionary, you will see mglicker's avatar alongside it.

• Options

<< <i>I'm fairly certain if you look up the word hyperbole in the dictionary, you will see mglicker's avatar alongside it. >>

Probably dinosaur as well. Truth is, in my 50's I am no longer an important market to the promoters of the game. My opinion means nothing as advertisers shun the older folks as our buying patterns are pretty much set and resistant to advertising hype.

Younger folks used to mile a second action on electronic games would welcome 99-77 football scores. I can see that.

Still, society version 2014 does not like to see seriously injured athletes. Short of eliminating the defense, how does one eliminate the brain blasting hits?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wait, that's NOT what happened? Weird. >>

One game, one team. Gee whiz Wally.

Did you not find it unusual that old and oft injured Peyton Manning (who I am a big fan of), smashed the NFL season TD record by what, 4 or 5 scores?

Guess he was just that much better than Marino. Elway and Montana. >>

Offense is definitely juiced but you claimed it was "powerless". The Super Bowl showed, in no uncertain terms, that that is most definitely a false statement.
  • Options

<< <i>Offense is definitely juiced but you claimed it was "powerless". The Super Bowl showed, in no uncertain terms, that that is most definitely a false statement. >>

Sort of like the Jordan rules when the great one played for the Bulls. Refs knew who the money man was and let him play.

No different in the Super Bowl.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Offense is definitely juiced but you claimed it was "powerless". The Super Bowl showed, in no uncertain terms, that that is most definitely a false statement. >>

Sort of like the Jordan rules when the great one played for the Bulls. Refs knew who the money man was and let him play.

No different in the Super Bowl. >>

You're really reaching, now, MG, even for you..

It might be time to take up bridge and leave the major sports behind.. image