Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Finals -- it's all over but the crying

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this fitting or what? Has anyone been able to forget Game 6 from '13? Is LBJ going to cement his legacy, or do the Spurs attain what they should have a year ago?

I'm really hoping for the latter. The Spurs are what's right about sports. From top to bottom, a class organization. Egos left at the door. Pop will yell louder at Tony Parker than he will Aron Baynes. When this team moves into a new phase, it's going to be one of those "don't know what you have until it's gone" moments. Is it humanly possible to dislike Tim Duncan? Dude is a consummate professional playing at a high level at age 38. Manu is completely fearless and has the memory of an All-Pro cornerback. In last year's finals he often looked like he had never played the game before, yet last night he stuck the dagger right in OKC's eye. And my fav of all Spurs: Kawhi Leonard. He'll more than likely have the impossible task of slowing down King James, but if anyone has the God-given talent to do so, it's him. A rising star who shuts his mouth and balls. Seriously, if you see him say more than 10 words the entire series, contact me and I'll send you a card.

The Heat. I must admit, I like the triumvirate. LBJ has evolved into the second-best player of my generation, and he's a great ambassador for the sport. Wade is another aging HOFer who is still a stud on the court. Bosh is not a prototypical 7-footer, but in my opinion he's vastly underrated. But, and few know this, my favorite player on the team (and in the NBA since the mid-90s) is Ray Allen. The absolute sweetest stroke in the game. I latched on while he was playing at UConn, and I haven't let go since. Outside of wanting to kill Bruce Bowen a few times, one of the classiest players ever. But the aforementioned Game 6 transpired the way it did due to his vicious 3-ball in the waning seconds, thus I must root long and hard for SAS this time around.

Spurs in 6.

Discuss!

Comments

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    It's gonna be a great series...I 'll say Heat in 7

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I say both owners have already won as each franchise now has a $2,000,000,000 book value.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that's almost what a shuttle's worth.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be a good series. However, I would of liked to see one of the two teams be different. I think the Spurs losing it all in game 6 last year may be a highly motivating factor, but I think LeBron wants it more, and the player he is, can back it up. It sure was a quick passing year. With credit to Yogi: Deja Vu all over again?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that the Spurs win, Duncan retires on top, and LeBron opts out and the Heat get blown up...
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I've been a basketball fan since the late 80's, I was a huge fan in the 90's. Give me the 96 sonics, 96 bulls, 94 bulls any day.

Honestly, I haven't been into basketball at all since about 2005. Some of the calls (flagrant fouls) are downright ridiculous. The intent is not really flagrant in many cases. That's been a huge change from 15 or 20 years ago.

The spurs are a classy organization. It should be a great series. I think heat in 6.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm for the Spurs.....really like Duncan. He is what is right in all of sports. But the Heat will really be hard to beat!
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    I'm all about the Spurs now that my Pacers are out. Spurs seem to want it more and are, at least tonight game 3, working harder.
  • Options
    That first half last night was for those who foolishly suggested a contrived Game 1. Wait, let me guess, Marco Belinelli turned the a/c off in American Airlines Arena?? image

What a clinic. A roundball Picasso. For the first 17 minutes of the game, the Spurs missed two shots from the field. Let that one marinate for a few. 76 freeking percent for an entire half -- an NBA Finals record.

The series isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but if Miami loses on Thursday night it will be.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The series isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but if Miami loses on Thursday night it will be. >>

Is it best out of five?
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The series isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but if Miami loses on Thursday night it will be. >>

Is it best out of five? >>

What do you think the Heat's chances are if they go down 3-1? Forced to win three straight with two of those on the road? If they lose tomorrow night and you feel that coming on, I'd highly recommend sending some money in.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, the first team to win 4 games wins the series and the title.

Correct?

So the only thing that can be said with certainty today is that with the series sitting at 2-1, at least 5 games will be required to crown a champion. Possible 6 or 7 games will be required.

Simple math.

Class dismissedimage
  • Options

<< <i>If I remember correctly, the first team to win 4 games wins the series and the title.

Correct?

So the only thing that can be said with certainty today is that with the series sitting at 2-1, at least 5 games will be required to crown a champion. Possible 6 or 7 games will be required.

Simple math.

Class dismissedimage >>

Am I ever glad I tested out of your remedial math class.

If the Heat lose tomorrow night, galaxy27's Extrapolation 101 class commences at 1 pm sharp on Friday. We'll be engaged in a riveting discussion entitled "Slim to none."

If you're tardy there will be no beer for you!
  • Options
    These guys are taking your words too literally image

• Options

<< <i>Extrapolation 101 class commences at 1 pm sharp on Friday. >>

Are there any prerequisites for this class?

Also, I looked up the schedule and it appears the NBA Finals this year are a best of 7 contest. Just to clarify a previous comment you made.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>Also, I looked up the schedule and it appears the NBA Finals this year are a best of 7 contest. Just to clarify a previous comment you made. >>

You were serious when asking if it was best-of-five? If so, then my bad. Yes, technically the Heat won't be out even with a loss tomorrow night, but no team in NBA Finals history has come back from a 3-1 deficit. I believe only 8 or so teams have ever pulled it off in any postseason series. So in other words, you dig a hole that deep and it doesn't augur well.

But enough of that. I seriously want to know what others see after the first three games of the series. To date, all we've covered are ridiculous conspiracy theories involving Game 1.

It's clear to me that Heat have the best player (of course), but the Spurs are, without question, the better team. LeBron is going to need help if the Heat are to pull this off. They're getting very little from the point guard position, they don't have a prototypical big man in the paint, and their bench outside of Ray Allen is extremely thin. D-Wade is still a very good player, but he's not what he used to be. His explosiveness and defense isn't what it once was, and he's having a hell of a time beating anyone off the dribble. Lots of floaters and jumpers. And that leaves LBJ as the only guy on the team who can really create his own shot. Far, far too much to ask from one guy -- even the best player on the planet.

I think (and hope) Miami wins tomorrow night. As I said in the other thread, I want it to turn into a best-of-3. I want more basketball. But I wouldn't be surprised if SAS wins again and puts the Heat on the brink. Last year they won twice in Miami, and were a half-minute meltdown away from doing it thrice.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care nearly as much about basketball as football or baseball but that was one very insightful post and analysis above by galaxy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't care nearly as much about basketball as football or baseball but that was one very insightful post and analysis above by galaxy. >>

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person left on this planet who likes basketball, Tim. What I wouldn't give to have Axtell reappear, call me an ignorant fool and talk hoops! image
  • Options
    Sarcasm

Your head
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    ^ It's hard for me to give you the benefit of the doubt when the extent of your insight has been G1 chicanery. Let me guess, sarcasm?
  • Options

<< <i>^ It's hard for me to give you the benefit of the doubt when the extent of your insight has been G1 chicanery. Let me guess, sarcasm? >>

I believe you think this word means something it doesn't.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>^ It's hard for me to give you the benefit of the doubt when the extent of your insight has been G1 chicanery. Let me guess, sarcasm? >>

I believe you think this word means something it doesn't. >>

Been a rough week for you? lol By all means, don't take my word for it. Chicanery per Merriam-Webster:

"The use of clever underhanded actions to achieve an end."

I can't imagine a better word to describe your brilliant assessment of why the a/c went out in Game 1.

You a disgruntled Heat fan? Relax, chief. I promise the series isn't over. Unless Miami loses tonight. Then it'll be over. But they'll play again on Sunday if that happens, however you need to disregard that since the series will already be over. And if Miami wins that game when the season is already over, they'll play again next Tuesday. But there's no need to watch, because the season will already be over. Unless the Heat win that game, too. Then there will be another meaningless game a week from tomorrow. Then the season will be over a second time, however the outcome may be different from the first.

Careful, there might be a pop quiz tomorrow if Extrapolation 101 isn't cancelled... image

• Options

<< <i>Chicanery per Merriam-Webster:

"The use of clever underhanded actions to achieve an end." >>

You're still using the word incorrectly, but that's neither here nor there.

<< <i>You a disgruntled Heat fan? Relax, chief. >>

You need to be a Heat fan to be a "disgruntled Heat fan" and you need to be a Native American, Fireman, Police Officer or corporate executive to be considered a "chief". I am none of these.

I would expect my Extrapolation 101 professor (can I call you professor?) to be a bit less snarky to his students.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    A swing and a miss on meaning, so now we've moved on to usage. lol You're on a roll, chief. What's next? Convincing everyone that quotation marks go inside of periods? image You're going to leave Extrapolation 101 with a wealth of knowledge, chief, but first I need to check your transcript to see if you passed Sanction's remedial math class.

Enjoy Game 4 tonight, chief. Hope your team wins, and I look forward to your in-depth analysis...
  • Options

<< <i>A swing and a miss on meaning, so now we've moved on to usage. >>

If someone incorrectly uses a word it strongly implies that they do not understand it's meaning.

I could say: "If the Spurs win Game Four the series is over". I misused the word "over" leaving many around me to believe I don't understand it's meaning.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A swing and a miss on meaning, so now we've moved on to usage. >>

If someone incorrectly uses a word it strongly implies that they do not understand it's meaning.

I could say: "If the Spurs win Game Four the series is over". I misused the word "over" leaving many around me to believe I don't understand it's meaning. >>

That's your in-depth analysis? Placing quotes inside of a period yet again? LOL I'm sorry, but Extrapolation 101 is not for you, chief. We need to work on your reading comprehension skills before you start googling words you don't know or understand.

Good luck to your team tonight, chief. If they lose tonight the series is over.

Edit: "it's meaning" was brought to my attention. I was so dumbfounded by another instance of ". that I completely missed it.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's your in-depth analysis? Placing quotes inside of a period yet again? LOL I'm sorry, but Extrapolation 101 is not for you, chief. >>

Superiority Test - Let us idiots know how it goes. Screenshot would be ideal. It only takes a half hour so sooner than later would be awesome and I left the article out of the previous sentence and I'm okay with myself anyway;

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Relax gentlemen and enjoy the game!!!

Busy sports day btw.

US Open in Golf.
    NBA Finals.
    Soccer World Cup.

• Options
    No threepeat with the heat in retreat.

• Options
    ugh. pathetic. can't watch anymore.
  • Options
    It's all fun and games until a nonparticipant busts through the doors with a Mensa test. lol Sounds like that stick is lodged fairly deep, bigd. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery after it's removed.

Did you play basketball growing up? I did up through high school. Pretty apropos that our little skirmish took place in a basketball thread, because trash talk is all I dealt with. But to put it into perspective, if I had this exact same episode with a member of the opposition back in my playing days, there would have been urine all over the court from extreme laughter. In comparison to what I've experienced in the past, this could not have been more innocuous. There was no profanity, no name calling, and outside of us telling each other to go take an English/grammar course, no personal barbs. In hindsight, pretty funny banter, actually. Had more than one person thank me via pm for the laugh, in fact. But apparently I called you -- someone who is nonexistent around these parts -- an idiot. I don't recall doing that, but I promise to do better in the future, brother.

If you failed to notice, this was a basketball thread created by yours truly. It was designed for roundball talk throughout the NBA Finals. Also if you noticed, JHS had not one iota of substance to provide. Well, unless you count his outlandish theory about Game 1. Outside of that, nothing. He chose to derail the thread, so I simply veered off with him for a while. I kept hoping he would actually provide some substantive insight, but that was asking too much of him. Even when I point blank said "enough of that," he kept on. But I guess you were too busy creating your little Mensa project to notice. Oh, and speaking of said test, I took it. Clearly I'm not superior after all. In fact, had there not been a chicanery question I would have missed all 30. So as soon as I hit send I'm going to give up my Extrapolation 101 duties and look into Sanction's remedial math class. image

Now, if it's not asking too much, back to the topic at hand. I didn't catch all of the game tonight (well, last night), but what I did see really surprised me. Not the play of the Spurs, but the lethargic, lackadaisical nature of the Heat. Who knows, perhaps they were resigned to their fate. As I said previously, the Spurs are far and away the better team. They come at you in waves, and every player brings a personalized niche. One guy in particular who I've failed to mention is Boris Diaw. When he entered the NBA, he was a lean point or two guard, if I'm not mistaken. He has since ballooned -- literally -- but his passing skills are second to none. Even a non-NBA fan could appreciate some of his dimes last night.

Also as I mentioned previously, LeBron is essentially a one-man show now. Once again he's the only player on the roster who can consistently create his own shot, and that could that not have been more evident in G4. At times it was painful watching the Heat's ineptitude on offense. Stagnant with very little ball movement. Meanwhile, the Spurs were running play after play in a half-court set where all five got touches, and ultimately a high-percentage shot ensued almost every time.

But back to LBJ. His cohort is aging, and the third wheel is a finesse 7-footer. After the Spurs dispose of the Heat, I think LeBron will start weighing his options elsewhere. There will be no more rings for the Heat as currently constructed, and I think he knows this. Time for a big market move? Back to Cleveland with all of that young talent? Hard to say, but I don't think his future is in Miami. He becomes a free agent after next season, if I'm not mistaken. I suspect he'll jet at that time.

The Spurs hoist the trophy on Sunday night.

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    This stick is concerning. Normally people don't think I take things seriously enough and not the other way around. However, I work with doctors from around the world and will have it checked out from many points of view.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    after careful consideration i've decided that the winner of this year's NBA Finals will be the NHL.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Spur are putting on a clinic on how to play basketball. The constant ball movement, multiple passes and every player on the floor being constantly in motion cause multiple open looks both in the paint and on the perimeter. The Spurs players are all contributing and the bench is playing fantastic.

So far, in this series the Heat are inept on both ends of the floor. The players on the Heat are talented, but in this series they are not playing at the same level of intensity as the Spurs. LeBron can not do it all. It seems that the Heat entered the series with an attitude that simply because they are the Heat they will win the title. A sense of entitlement, if you will. After winning game 2 I suspect that the Heat took for granted that they would win the next two at home.

It will be interesting to see how the Heat play in game 5. Will they toss in the towel and go through the motion or will they show up and play with heart and smarts? If the Heat win game 5, then I would not bet against them winning game 6 in Miami to force a game 7.

BTW, basketball is my favorite sport, since I played it in high school and college.
  • Options

<< <i>after careful consideration i've decided that the winner of this year's NBA Finals will be the NHL. >>

I think the winner is Sterling's estranged wife.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>after careful consideration i've decided that the winner of this year's NBA Finals will be the NHL. >>

I think the winner is Sterling's estranged wife. >>

well, i just hope the irony doesn't get lost on anyone when she and Long Gone Don become known as "former tenants". image
  • Options
    Sterling hires investigators to dig up dirt.

Text

""""Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league's finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn't authorized to talk publicl

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks."""
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Bulls fan so truthfully, this series holds very little interest for me...but I'd be amazed if Miami wins game 5. The vaunted Big 3 are overrated IMO. Wade just isn't producing anymore, Bosh is inconsistent and Miami's defense has been next to nil (and they seem to have forgotten Basketball 101 basics like blocking out on rebounds, etc.). LeBron apologists are crying about how he's not 100%. I don't see that at all; I see a guy who's still scoring well but trying to carry the team on his back because he flat out isn't getting any help (much like MJ early on in his Bulls career). Miami may have better players but SA has the better team.

I wonder if Miami is going to go after Carmelo as is rumored.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Sterling hires investigators to dig up dirt.

Text

""""Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league's finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn't authorized to talk publicl

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.""" >>

Shades of Steinbrenner and Spira!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Now let the talk of Lebron coming back to Cleveland start. All my friends are going nuts thinking he's going to come back and win us a title.

Sorry folks. Isn't happening. I honestly think he'd give up way too much money by leaving Miami. Money talks........very loud.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LBJs performance in game 4 reminded me of his play in Cleveland. He is good but not good enough to beat really good teams on his own.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>LBJs performance in game 4 reminded me of his play in Cleveland. He is good but not good enough to beat really good teams on his own. >>

How many rings would Jordan have without Pippen?

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    The Spurs look great after the 3rd quarter. Not much of a game....I turned it off.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great Fathers day gift from the Spurs. image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>LBJs performance in game 4 reminded me of his play in Cleveland. He is good but not good enough to beat really good teams on his own. >>

How many rings would Jordan have without Pippen? >>

Six
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

Zero-- but that answer ruins the narrative, so nobody offers it.

I always love the fact that most sports fans solemnly declare that 'there's no 'I' in 'team'', and then, in the next breadth, blame-or credit- a single player for winning/losing a final.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Zero-- but that answer ruins the narrative, so nobody offers it.

I always love the fact that most sports fans solemnly declare that 'there's no 'I' in 'team'', and then, in the next breadth, blame-or credit- a single player for winning/losing a final. >>

Exactly.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only fitting that the SPURS would win on Fathers Day with a coach named "POP"ovich.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".