Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1960-J Germany 1 Mark

Recently acquired large group of foreign coins and am just starting to go through them. Being a US collector and knowing little to nothing about foreign material I realize there is a lot to learn! Got the Krause catalogs on DVD and find them to be very helpful but find the pricing to be very subject compared to actual eBay sales. This is one of the first I've been a little confused about. It's a Germany 1 Mark coin from 1960, mintmark J. Seems to be in EF+ condition and the Krause guide lists it as $200. I see a few eBay offerings in AU in the $150 range. What am I missing here with a coin with a mintage of over 5-million? Is there a demand for these coins? Here is an image of my coin:

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel they are grossly ovepriced in Kause. I go to the "sold" option for the searches to see what they really sell for, if they sell at all.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern Germany is an area that currently does not have a strong following. Surviving populations for German coins in general can be confusing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    After issuing Mark coins for first time in 1950 all 4 mints produce together 230 million of these 1 Mark coins. No issues between 1951-1953. After that they issue each year between 13 and 46 Million coins again. 1954, 1955, 1958 and 1960 are the bit "lower" issues between 13 -20 Million coins.
    The only reason I belive in the high prices are that that time nobody thought about colleting these coins and almost all run in circulation, thats why AU or MS grades are not aviable... or a very few only. Maybe thats the reason why BU coins are that expensive....lower grades are much cheaper.
    Germany first start in 1974 to issue BU coin sets for collectors. Is have a few proof sets from earlyer years....but very few.... (300 to 10.000 sets!)
    collector from Germany