Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple of Ancient NEWPS

Well it turns out Pegasi Numismatics comes to Houston several times a year for the little Bellaire Coin Club show. This is a typical small show, 50-60 dealers in a small town hall building, who'd thought it? So I took myself down (after going to the movin' pitchers with wife and youngest daughter to see Maleficient) to meet them and see what was in stock. Lovely people, spent as much time as I wanted and let me ruffle through the boxes of really expensive stuff just for fun. These two were out of the cheap boxes however, not terribly high grade but I quite liked them. I'm thinking both are about EF, one may need a little more cleaning as it still has some encrustation.

118 BC Denarius with Head of Roma/Bearded Gallic Warrior in Biga. Possibly Bituitus King of the Arverni, a Gaulish tribe. It also came with an old Spink tag with their 5-7 King St. address.

123 BC Denarius with Head of Roma/Cornucopia with Thunderbolts. With the original envelope sold by Numismatic Fine Arts - Edward Gans in the 1940's for $2.50

Comments

• Options

Quite nice for being in the "cheap boxes"

do you have RSC #'s for these? I'd like to see what that book says on them
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! So is that the first try at reeded edge coins? image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins, wonder what you consider cheap. Those are easily a few hundred in that shape at most dealer inventories.
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet! So is that the first try at reeded edge coins? image

image >>

lol, kinda, it was an anti-counterfeiting measure but serrated counterfeits exist so they didn't bother with it all that often

check out this fun numiswiki article on forvm about the serrated coins
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lol, kinda, it was an anti-counterfeiting measure but serrated counterfeits exist so they didn't bother with it all that often

check out this fun numiswiki article on forvm about the serrated coins >>

Interesting read. Thanks for the link. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It was the cheap box of Roman Republic, as compared to the boxes from $2500 and up. Actually I was quite surprised that considering they travelled down from Michigan for a small show they had quite a number of coins starting around $100.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great coins, especially starting at around $100! I have gotten one or two republican coins for around $50 but the one was anonymous and the other fairly worn so $100 for your examples (or thereabouts) is pretty sweet.

I really like Kenn Hollister of Moneta and ECIN as well for that reason. I do so much buying on the bay that I really like shows to be hands on and talk coins while I look. The prices are substantially higher but now that I have more of a budget for shows it doesn't bother me as much. I like to knock off a major achievement here or there but then also get some good $20 coins too to fill holes or upgrade. Having several row boxes where you "feel" like you have a better shot at getting a deal makes it fun. Even the gf likes it and she loves bargaining on my behalf. The chance to get a price lower than list (even though it's all inflated especially at a show, understandably).

It's why even at CSNS I had a ton of fun buying $2 farthings when I was prepared to spend $300. It felt like supermarket sweep compared to selecting only one nicer display case coin that eats up most of your show budget.

These are great and make me excited for ANA in August!