Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Beckett Marketplace

I have bought things from time to time from Beckett Marketplace, some experiences good, others not so much. The first bad experience happened when I bought a few items and go back to seek a refund for not receiving anything, the seller was nowhere to be found on their website. I called customer service and I was told that I had to wait a certain number of days to be sure that it did not show up, it had already been about two weeks and I had to wait another week. I call back a week later and was told that I had to wait a few more days. Well, I after calling back a third time I was finally told I would receive a refund, but of course I had to wait for that as well.

I decided to take another chance buying from Beckett Marketplace since there was an item there that is a hard to find modern issue. I found a 2001 Topps Employee Greg Maddux #660 in near mint-mint condition, I jumped at it since there were only 150 of the Topps Employee sets produced. It was ~$11 and $15 after shipping, not worried about that since it is rare and I wanted it for my master set. I received it in the mail today and was floored when I looked it over, to think that someone would call this near mint-mint is an abomination. Clearly, the set it was pulled from had cards stuck together and it had suffered greatly. I can understand that scanning every card may be difficult, but to blatantly misrepresent such as this in order to get by on someone is reprehensible. Take a look below and judge for yourself.

Comments

• EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    That is pretty bad. I've had similar crap arrive from them as well. All misrepresented and they always use stock photos.
    No more.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Sorry to see you have been burned again by that marketplace. While I am not a fan of selling on eBay, I do enjoy the protection that is given to buyers. While certain dishonest buyers may ruin things by scamming eBay's policies, this type of thing would not happen to honest buyers on eBay.
    Steve
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Wow, not NRMT-MT by a long shot, how disappointing... especially on such a limited edition card.

The UV coating is unforgiving over time, as you mentioned, with cards sticking together in either box or set form.

I had the same sort of issues on sportlots.com a few times... same deal, stock photo with the actual item advertised way over graded. One of the many reasons I love COMC... I'm anxiously awaiting them to get the site fully functional again to I can wrap up some sets.

Snorto~
  • sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I agree this card never should have been sent. But I don't think he was trying to rip you off when he listed it at nm-mt. Odds are most of the set was clean and considered nm-mt when he listed it. But once he pulled the card for your order, he should have either refunded you or emailed to to tell you about the condition and offer a discount on the price if you still wanted it.

I know some of the bigger dealers have millions of cards on beckett and overlooking a flaw can happen when dealing with that many cards. Just like any other business, mistakes happen. As long as the dealer attempts to resolve a problem, I don't have an issue with it.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I guess I'm fortunate that I've been burnt very few times on Beckett and sportlots.com. Burnt few enough times that it doesn't make me hesitate to buy from those marketplaces.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree this card never should have been sent. But I don't think he was trying to rip you off when he listed it at nm-mt. Odds are most of the set was clean and considered nm-mt when he listed it. But once he pulled the card for your order, he should have either refunded you or emailed to to tell you about the condition and offer a discount on the price if you still wanted it.

I know some of the bigger dealers have millions of cards on beckett and overlooking a flaw can happen when dealing with that many cards. Just like any other business, mistakes happen. As long as the dealer attempts to resolve a problem, I don't have an issue with it. >>

I emailed them letting them know of my displeasure and his response was quite surprising. To think that someone knowingly sold the set in this condition, all listed as NM-MT, shows a lack of business morals.

<< <i>Sales
    To Me
    Today at 6:11 AM
    Jason.
    I understand your concern. All the cards in these sets were all like this. The cards came out if a factory set and they were all like this. Not many sets were ever opened, but I had multiple sets of these and sold hundreds of different cards from this set and this is unfortunately the condition they come out of its factory box. As you can see, it is not a man error, where the card was mishandled, it is like this our of the factory. If you are unhappy, you can send it back for a refund.
    Thanks.
    Steve >>