Home U.S. Coin Forum

Confusing PCGS Secure

Looking at PCGS Fees page, I see:

<< <i>* Coins Required for Secure Service: 1. All World (non-U.S.) coins except for Modern service level coins dated 1965 to date. 2. Any coin valued at $50,000 or higher. >>

That has to be wrong because it seems to say that unless a coin is worth $50,000 or more it can't be a U.S. Coin and can't be dated after 1965 to get Secure service.

But they can't mean that because I have US coins with that shield that are barely worth $100.00. So what DO they really mean here?

Also, when I google this, I see references to Secure Plus, but see nothing about that on the Fees page.

Comments

• It means that if the coin matches the requirements it is required to use Secure service vs. you opting to use it .
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>It means that if the coin matches the requirements it is required to use Secure service vs. you opting to use it . >>

Thanks! They could have phrased that better image

So what about SecurePlus?
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It means that if the coin matches the requirements it is required to use Secure service vs. you opting to use it . >>

So what about SecurePlus? >>

It is my understanding that the Secure Service is actually called 'Secure Plus', regardless of whether the coin is graded with a plus symbol (i.e. MS 65+) or not (i.e. MS 65).

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• I'm back collecting after being out of it for a while so please excuse my ignorance. Is PCGS pushing more submissions toward the Secure level?
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>

<< <i>

So what about SecurePlus? >>

It is my understanding that the Secure Service is actually called 'Secure Plus', regardless of whether the coin is graded with a plus symbol (i.e. MS 65+) or not (i.e. MS 65). >>

Sheesh! Could they possibly make it more confusing???
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secure+ is a service level that id's the coin with a image and also runs it threw their sniffer looking for foreign substances on it in addition to the regular grading. Also their are added security measures in the labeling of the unit when returned to you.
    Service is required on World coins that are minted before 1965.
    And all coins valued over $50,000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file