Home Sports Talk
Options

RORY....WTH

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Shoots a 63 on Thursday and a 78 today.

3 bogeys and 3 double bogeys.

Waiting for this talent to get back on track.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you no longer partake of the punany, it's often a tumultuous ride.
  • Options
    Any one else notice the "Nike curse" ? Yeah It's a bit ridiculous
    but if you look at some serious talent Nike has signed.

David Duval
    Anthony Kim
    Rory
    Even golfers like Nick Watney, Charles Schwartzel, and Michelle Wie
    have struggled at times.
    I guess this goes with the Madden Cover and Sports Illustrated curses.
    " I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice "
  • Options

<< <i>Any one else notice the "Nike curse" ? >>

Not so much a curse as the reality of switching the equipment that you built your game on. On expert said it was the ball more than the clubs. Maybe it is the $50,000,000 that takes your mind off the game.
  • Options
    I agree with what your saying. I just don't know why Nike would invest
    that much in an athlete and then not try to create the same equipment
    for him with their branding. Who knows maybe they did and it just
    hasn't worked out for him.
    " I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice "
  • Options
    Relax, fellas. You guys act as if Rory is a journeyman player now. He has six top-10 finishes in eight starts on the PGA tour this season. A scoring avg of 69.62, ranking him third. Across the pond he has two more top-10s and a W. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

The entire equipment premise is way overblown and the epitome of specious. Rory could snap off a branch and send the ball 100 yards down the fairway. He's simply a 25-yr-old kid who had a woman in his life. And now that he has some closure where Woz is concerned, expect him to turn it up even more. He has an uber-sick game, and it's only a matter of time before he supplants Tiger Woods as the first name to roll off your tongue when you think golf.

Unlike any other sport, golf is predominantly mental. If you're disengaged for any reason whatsoever, I don't care how good of a player you are, you'll shoot 78 on occasion. It can and does happen. But before we start jumping the proverbial gun and start comparing him to the likes of David Duval and Anthony Kim, let's tap the brakes. Duval was once #1 in the world, and last year he made a little over 6k on tour. Anthony Kim hasn't even played in two years. Those two guys would start sawing off limbs to be in Rory's shoes right now.

• Options
    Looks like Lefty may be a bit distracted going forward.

Text
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shot a 78 last year one round. Couldn't do anything wrong it seemed (except that darned 14th hole). Next time out, shot a 102. Golf is just another four letter word
  • Options
    3-under 69 for R-Mac today. He's fine.

As for Phil, arguably my favorite figure in all of sports, I really hope he's absolved of any wrongdoing. To this point he's been very forthright, and I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt until the facts prove otherwise. His gambling proclivities are well-documented, but he (by all accounts) really toned it down after the birth of his son. Just seems awfully out of character for him to cross such a dangerous line, plus we're talking about a guy who's not exactly hurting for dinero -- he made just shy of $50 meel-yun in '13. But never, ever say never.

What's your take, MG? jdip?
  • Options

<< <i>What's your take, MG? jdip? >>

I am running out of pro athletes to support. I was/am a big fan of Phil and I hope to hell that he was not involved in criminal activity.

Seems to be established so far that Mickelson took a very large option position in Clorox a couple of days before an Icahn takeover bid was tendered. Question is, did he have direct or indirect information on the upcoming activity.

Insider trading seems to be a crime that no one seems to think that they are violating at the time. A wink-wink at the club and a tidy profit. No one gets hurt right? Wrong. There is always a loser on the other end of the win, particularly in options and more importantly it give the impression that the markets are rigged. That is up for debate.

Having achieved Arnold Palmer type reverence, this would have been an amazingly stupid mistake on the part of Phil.

All he had to do for the next 40 years is show up and $50,000,000 a year was virtually assured.

It will be an interesting story to follow.
  • Options

<< <i>Relax, fellas. You guys act as if Rory is a journeyman player now. He has six top-10 finishes in eight starts on the PGA tour this season. A scoring avg of 69.62, ranking him third. Across the pond he has two more top-10s and a W. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

The entire equipment premise is way overblown and the epitome of specious. Rory could snap off a branch and send the ball 100 yards down the fairway. He's simply a 25-yr-old kid who had a woman in his life. And now that he has some closure where Woz is concerned, expect him to turn it up even more. He has an uber-sick game, and it's only a matter of time before he supplants Tiger Woods as the first name to roll off your tongue when you think golf.

Unlike any other sport, golf is predominantly mental. If you're disengaged for any reason whatsoever, I don't care how good of a player you are, you'll shoot 78 on occasion. It can and does happen. But before we start jumping the proverbial gun and start comparing him to the likes of David Duval and Anthony Kim, let's tap the brakes. Duval was once #1 in the world, and last year he made a little over 6k on tour. Anthony Kim hasn't even played in two years. Those two guys would start sawing off limbs to be in Rory's shoes right now. >>

Ahem.

Nothing like quoting yourself, but I had to resurrect for my friend MG. image

A foregone conclusion this tournament is not, however. There are notables within striking distance, and Rory has shown that he still has a 77 or 78 in him. But I wouldn't bank on it. It's about time for #3, and I think it happens this weekend.
  • Options

<< <i>It's about time for #3, and I think it happens this weekend. >>

Long way to go, but a 4 stroke lead is a nice position going into the weekend.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    A foregone conclusion this tournament is not, however

That is true Yoda. But he did get over his psychological day of doom.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has been there and done that, should be solid done the stretch...
    Triple eight's, need to play the lotto image
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

<< <i>A foregone conclusion this tournament is not, however

That is true Yoda. But he did get over his psychological day of doom. >>

How quickly the '11 Masters escapes your memory, Padawan. Granted that was then, this is now and I don't foresee a repeat, but he's not completely out of the woods heading into the final round. If he implodes to the tune of 80 strokes again, naturally he'll gift wrap another major.

A pedestrian 72 will get it done tomorrow. That will require Puma boy, El Niño and Paulina Gretzky's boyfriend to shoot 66, 65 and 65, respectively, just to force some extra golf. Not gonna happen, not gonna happen and not gonna happen.

Meanwhile, TW is a healthy 19 shots back. Lots of work to do...
  • Options

<< <i>Meanwhile, TW is a healthy 19 shots back. Lots of work to do... >>

Woody's body is shot. He will pick up a few more wins, maybe even a major, as a mid 40's Nicklaus did, but will never again be the games dominant player.

Wood's legacy though is that he spoiled us for a week after week top ten golfer. Rare to find that type of player in a given generation. Rory may be that guy. To early to tell.