Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2014 Topps Archives

So I bought some jumbo packs at Target on Tuesday and pulled a Rickey Wild Thing Vaughn card a couple of other cool cards.

Unfortunately hobby boxes are over $100 for 24 packs which I think is pretty pricey considering there's not much bang in this set, IMO. Last year I think I paid $75 for a box and not quite sure why it went up $25.

Anyone else breaking this stuff?

Comments

• Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    That's really expensive IMO, particular considering 2012 and 2013 discounted fairly quickly. You can get hobby boxes of those for around $50-60 shipped.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Major League autograph cards are the wild chase and the likely cause of the increase IMO. The Sheen card will be interesting to see where auctions end.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    I thought I could resist this set this year. But I will probably end up buying this product. Topps on line was selling blasters for $20. I'm not sure why the price is so much higher this year. I think they were around $80 a box for Hobby. Other than the 1973 series, I'm not that big a fan of the years selected.

I did see on E-Bay a 1968 Mantle buyback. It's a shame they stamped it.

Write up over at Cardboard Connection:

Archives Info

I haven't seen any retail yet:

Archives at Topps

Don't think I can buy much at $100 a box. Maybe start with retail.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I was very excited about this product mostly due to the Major League autograph inserts. After seeing what is available on the secondary market I have to say I am not that impressed. I am just putting my hobby box money toward buying the major league autographs which are going reasonably on the secondary market. If I want to chase the entire set I might go after some hobby boxes in the fall when as history tells us the prices drop drastically.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

$124.95 a hobby box on line..... Dang, that is an expensive set. Any reviews or updates?
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Supposedly, the print run on this set was lower than last year? Has anyone else also heard or confirm this?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Supposedly, the print run on this set was lower than last year? Has anyone else also heard or confirm this? >>

I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of last year's product was sitting on shelves / being discounted a few months after they came out.

I really liked the design of some of the inserts of last year's product, but I think collectors were hit with fatigue and not particularly interested

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I am tempted given the Major League autographs but history tells me I will be better served waiting, and just purchasing the autographs later, after the hysteria dies down and modern collectors move on to the next "it" product. Given the price they are going for, I personally would prefer to add a few more bucks and pick up a few more packs of 75 minis to salt away.

This really illustrates to me why I avoid the new market. 99 times out of a 100 one is disappointed with the hits in proportion with the cost of a box. Now granted I will pick up a pack or two every once in a great while, I no longer justify full box purchases as the disappointment I always feel afterwards just is not worth it ("I just spent $150.00 for two insert cards I could have bought on eBay for $10???").

Now, if you personally enjoy new product, don't let me rain on your parade. Please continue to do so. I will play the role of cranky old far who yearns for the days of his youth where spending $10.80 got you a full box of cards, a full day of sorting, and a lifetime of cavities.

Matt
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    The LCS and zep and I go to only got one box and it was gone when I got there. A local Vietnam Vet was opening the last of the packs and got an Ivan Rodriguez auto. I asked him if he got another and he told me that the day before he got some Benzinger auto. I asked it if was Berringer and showed him a pic on Ebay and yup it was a Major League auto.
  • Options

I see Topps is no longer selling the value "blaster" box on line, (also took down the retail Heritage boxes, from what I can see).

Usually they post the "Sold Out" sign, but it appears these have just been pulled. Didn't know if anyone had the scoop.

I haven't had much luck finding retail.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen ZERO retail. I've checked all of my local Targets and Walmarts
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I don't see when I check target or wal mart
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    I was at Target yesterday to get some Topps Series 2 and there were about 10 blaster boxes and a dozen rack packs.
  • Options
    I just ran into a couple of blasters at a Target. Bought all six.

Three blasters for $60 equals a box.

Is the hobby only stuff driving the price?

I'm not really a big fan of "Major League" so that's not driving my interest. (More of a Bull Durham and the Natural fan, although my favorite is "61").

Opened two packs...... Can they make them any thinner ??

Too bad because there is some fun stuff, but I can't see the $130 per box price. These are low-mid range at best.

Why does it seem like Topps finds new ways to disappoint....

• Options

<< <i>I am tempted given the Major League autographs but history tells me I will be better served waiting, and just purchasing the autographs later, after the hysteria dies down and modern collectors move on to the next "it" product. Given the price they are going for, I personally would prefer to add a few more bucks and pick up a few more packs of 75 minis to salt away.

This really illustrates to me why I avoid the new market. 99 times out of a 100 one is disappointed with the hits in proportion with the cost of a box. Now granted I will pick up a pack or two every once in a great while, I no longer justify full box purchases as the disappointment I always feel afterwards just is not worth it ("I just spent $150.00 for two insert cards I could have bought on eBay for $10???").

Now, if you personally enjoy new product, don't let me rain on your parade. Please continue to do so. I will play the role of cranky old far who yearns for the days of his youth where spending $10.80 got you a full box of cards, a full day of sorting, and a lifetime of cavities.

Matt >>

+1

• Options
    Try to scan a couple later.

The 1989 set screams, overproduced and worthless.

The made the short prints consistent in the years (73, 80, 86, 89), so just sorting by set year as some SPs in them. About two per blasters.

• Options

Six blasters:

12 SP
    12 All Stars
    11 Deckle
    5 Future Stars
    3 ML Cards

The "Hits" from the six:

• Options

Deckle Edge:

• Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    That's pretty disappointing for $60. That's why I stayed away and only bought a couple of packs.
  • Options

That was $120. If I had bought two hobby boxes for twice the amount, I think I was guaranteed 4 autos. I got 1 and a relic out of six blasters.

I still like opening the packs, but you're right, not a lot to get excited about and especially for the money.
  • Options
    Archives is back for 2015....

Looks a little more interesting.....Only 3 years this time, 100 more cards in the base.

Just wish they would go back to the thicker stock...

I guess I just have to let that go.....

Configuration: 10 boxes per case. 24 packs per box. 8 cards per pack.

Topps is cracking open its vault to provide more fan favorite card designs for 2015 Archives Baseball! To demonstrate the evolution of trading cards, we are including the '57 and '76 Topps designs this year! Additionally, Topps will pay tribute to the late Tony Gwynn by featuring the 1983 Topps design, renowned for its Gwynn rookie card.

2015 Topps Archives Baseball will also celebrate the 25th anniversary of the classic 1990 Topps design and feature a collectible Presidential Chronicles subset with cut sig parallels!

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    - Every Box will include 2 On-card autographs!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

AUTOGRAPH CARDS

Fan Favorites Autographs NEW!
    Featuring ON-CARD autographs on iconic Topps base card designs.
    - Silver-Bordered Parallel: sequentially #'d.
    - Gold-Bordered Parallel: sequentially #'d. HOBBY ONLY!
    - Black-Bordered Parallel: #'d 1/1. NEW!

1990 Topps #1 Draft Picks Autographs NEW! HOBBY ONLY!
    Featuring ON-CARD autographs.
    - Gold-Bordered Parallel: sequentially #'d.
    - Black-Bordered Parallel: #'d 1/1.
    - Printing Plates: #'d 1/1.

Topps Originals Autographs
    Featuring an assortment of buybacks from throughout the decades. Cards will be foil stamped as Topps Originals and signed ON-CARD.
    - Sequentially #'d.

INSERT CARDS

1990 Topps #1 Draft Picks NEW!
    Featuring the top #1 MLB Draft picks playing in the game today. HOBBY ONLY!

1968 Topps Game Insert NEW!
    True to the original '68 game, but featuring today's superstars.

1990 Topps All-Star Rookies NEW!
    Celebrating the 25th anniversary of this iconic design, featuring 2015 MLB rookies.
    - Autograph Parallel: Showcasing ON-CARD autographs!

Presidential Chronicles NEW!
    Chronicling the terms of America's most renowned presidents with a collectible insert set.
    - Cut Signature Parallel - #'d 1/1. HOBBY ONLY!

BASE CARDS
    2015 Topps Archives Baseball will feature a 300-card base set highlighting fan favorites past and today's current stars!

Base Cards
    (1)1957 Topps Design - 100 subjects
    (2)1976 Topps Design - 100 subjects
    (3)1983 Topps Design - 100 subjects

Base Card parallels will include:
    - Silver-Bordered Parallel: sequentially #'d.
    - Black-Bordered Parallel: #'d 1/1. NEW!
  • Options
    Any word if Topps is going to continue auto fan favs of years where the player didn't have a card let alone in the game...like Hernandez and stottelmyre? 2014 was the 1st yr for this and I didn't like it for autos. Would like them to reprint originals again like 2001/2002 and also image variations 2003-2005 & 2012-2013. Very cool auto yrs imho.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY