Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have You Seen The New Hologram Lately ?

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
Remember this ?: New PCGS Hologram
I just realized I don't see it on the HOF coins holders. Any other recent slabs have it?
There were problems with them so maybe they are being rethought.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>link reduxNew PCGS Hologram >>

link redux

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Oops. Thanks Lance

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they were at least on the gold HOF, definitely not the clad, unsure about the silver.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    No, not on the gold. At least not mine. Or the ones shown on Ebay.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    I think they were having issues with the stickers peeling off at the corners, so maybe they're in the process of refining them and in the meantime reverting back to the old holograms.

Just a theory.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason they are not on the inside of slab?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like something off a new beer can or something. i dunno
  • Options
    my error

none of mine have them.

I am certain my secure plus reholders for the First Spouse all had them done.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 40+ coins re-holdered over the last 2 months and ALL of them have the new holograms, just got 4 more in today…so they are still using them. FWIW, as a collector, the new hologram is perfect…I guess dealers have a hard time using the 60% of the back that doesn't have the hologram to place their pricing stickers image

Erik
  • Options
    CS says they are using the new holograms on some but not all slabs. Not on world coins and not on the HOF coins. Yes, the new hologram is applied to the out side and has tamper slits around the edge that will tear if removal is attempted. The new hologram label is the same size as the older hologram label. He couldn't really say why they weren't used on the HOF coins, just they weren't.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> He couldn't really say why they weren't used on the HOF coins, just they weren't. >>

…I'll bet that since the HOF coins came out right when the new holograms did that it was a great way to deplete the stock levels of the old holograms by having them put on the HOF coins.

Erik
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>CS says they are using the new holograms on some but not all slabs. Not on world coins and not on the HOF coins. Yes, the new hologram is applied to the out side and has tamper slits around the edge that will tear if removal is attempted. The new hologram label is the same size as the older hologram label. He couldn't really say why they weren't used on the HOF coins, just they weren't. >>

Hard/impossible to counterfeit a HOF coin, no? So no need for a sticker is my guess. Stickers cost money.
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>

<< <i>CS says they are using the new holograms on some but not all slabs. Not on world coins and not on the HOF coins. Yes, the new hologram is applied to the out side and has tamper slits around the edge that will tear if removal is attempted. The new hologram label is the same size as the older hologram label. He couldn't really say why they weren't used on the HOF coins, just they weren't. >>

Hard/impossible to counterfeit a HOF coin, no? So no need for a sticker is my guess. Stickers cost money. >>

Nothing's impossible when there is money to be made. I bet some Chinese factory is working on this right now.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I had dozens of coins reholdered recently. All of them have the new holograms. Had eight coins submitted for regrade SecurePlus, all came back with the new holograms.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of the three reholder/trueview coins I received in May had the new square hologram, one did not...it was the old PCGS rectangular sticker on the reverse.

I have ten more coming back soon...I will advise.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a reason they are not on the inside of slab? >>

Excellent idea but the stickers would have to be re-engineered. You know, sticky side on the actual hologram.

BUT

The holograms stickers could be attached to the reverse of the Slab Label.

Nah. Slab construction has a traditional process and truly making the hologram inaccessible to damage from other stickers doesn't seem to be real high on the priority list.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Ah, but the previous sticker with the hologram was on the inside on the reverse of the information side. It was on the inside of all my HOF coins. Not the inside surface of the slab but stuck the the back of the information sticker. Maybe to a thin plastic layer...I haven't cracked any out to see the construction.

Why start putting it on the outside surface? Yes it has tamper slits that tear if you attempt to remove it but if it were inside as before this wouldn't be an issue. And I've read post saying that the printing has been wiping off the new holograms. Then slits or not the sticker is worthless.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there a reason they are not on the inside of slab? >>

Excellent idea but the stickers would have to be re-engineered. You know, sticky side on the actual hologram.

BUT

The holograms stickers could be attached to the reverse of the Slab Label.

Nah. Slab construction has a traditional process and truly making the hologram inaccessible to damage from other stickers doesn't seem to be real high on the priority list. >>

Not ideal as the holo would transfer with the label.

• Options

<< <i>Ah, but the previous sticker with the hologram was on the inside on the reverse of the information side. It was on the inside of all my HOF coins. Not the inside surface of the slab but stuck the the back of the information sticker. Maybe to a thin plastic layer...I haven't cracked any out to see the construction.

Why start putting it on the outside surface? Yes it has tamper slits that tear if you attempt to remove it but if it were inside as before this wouldn't be an issue. And I've read post saying that the printing has been wiping off the new holograms. Then slits or not the sticker is worthless. >>

Pictures?

• Options
    Pctures? I'm confused.

Look at any slab prior to February 2014....or any HOF slab. Like this one LINK

I don't have a slab with the new hologram. Hopefully a member can post a photo of one of theirs. And tell us if in fact as reported it is on the outside.

There is this PCGS page Link complete with Youtube video.

And this prior thread from March 2014 Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file