Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Silver 6 pence token -- Finally got an EPN piece

brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
Though the Eric P. Newman provenance is secondary to me, I was able to pick up a nice Charing Cross silver 6 pence token in last night's auction. And, I thought I almost stole it for what it ended up hammering for. NGC graded is MS64, though again this is secondary to me. It looks to have lovely skin and is a new design for my horse-themed collection. I do already have a 12 penny token of Charing Cross (with the Morgan/Rathbone reverse).

Here's the Heritage Auctions Link

And below are the Heritage images (resized and put on a black background).

Cheers,

-Brandon

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't normally put too much faith in HA's images, so I hope that the images are faithful enough...

Anyway, from what I can see, the coin/token is quite charming. Congrats. I like the EPN provenance too, so "congrats" x2.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

<< <i>I don't normally put too much faith in HA's images, so I hope that the images are faithful enough...

Anyway, from what I can see, the coin/token is quite charming. Congrats. I like the EPN provenance too, so "congrats" x2.

EVP >>

Thanks EVP. The images I posted are actually taken by NGC -- as are all of the Newman pieces. They were taken before slabbing. The slab shots are from in house Heritage photography.

I have purchased enough from Heritage so I know what to expect from their images. I do think it will look better in hand than the somewhat "oily" looking NGC/Heritage shots. These tokens don't come terribly nice very often. And, most if not all that I have seen have that somewhat odd dingy look. I'll be sure to post proper images when I get it in hand.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice - I am sure we will get the re-imaged version updated as well.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    How come it says six penny instead of six pence or even six pennies?
  • Options
    It arrived today, and it appears in hand about how I expected it to. There is a bit of color to it, and the luster in the obverse left fields is quite strong. The Heritage (via NGC) photos were actually quite faithful to the look.

It is not the most attractive token in my collection for sure, but it is item # 219 in my certified horse-themed collection and it's my own little piece of the EPN dynasty. image I did notice before bidding that "CROSS" was spelled incorrectly on the NGC label as "CORSS." Oh well, not really high on my list of things to worry about.

-Brandon