Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British NEWPS, and a ?

Hello All,

I just received two newps today that were super cheap and therefore super ready to be in my daughter's British and British India collections.

I got this little beauty (possibly cleaned) for $5. I say possibly because there is a weird look to the obverse, but I don't see any hairlines under magnification.

Quarter Rupee Obverse

Quarter Rupee Reverse

The question I have, because I am only now starting to figure out the British Indian coinage that I have is about the mintmarks. These folks were quite skillful in hiding mintmarks all over the place apparently. From the looks of it, the dot that is referred to as the Bombay mint mark would be the dot directly under the portrait, correct? From what I can see in Krause, it doesn't look like there are dots on all of the coins in that exergue-like area, but my eyes are bad and black and white photos aren't the best for being sure of anything. Some advice here would be helpful.

Then I bought this 1908 Farthing. There are some spots but overall I like the coin. It was $2.01. A $.01 win and $2 shipping from good old Vegas. I needed a 1908 and could not think of one good reason not to spend $2.01.

Farthing Obverse

Farthing Reverse

Comments