Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are The Corners Really That Bad?

So I still don't know why this got a 4. It is crease and wrinkle free, front and back. I've gone over it numerous times. The front and back are both well centered. Has no marks or anything, yet it got a 4. I thought it was a slam dunk 5 when i sent it in. Are the corners really bad enough for a 4? Thoughts?

*As a side note, the corner bend on the upper left corner wasnt there when i sent it in. Had to have happened after it got to PSA. Kind of ticks me off, but oh well.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• Options
    The corner bend in the upper-left looks like the culprit. That sucks!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The corner bend in the upper-left looks like the culprit. That sucks! >>

Yeah I agree. Besides the corners, there seems to be an issue along the top edge close to the left corner

Edit; Looks as if the paper is folded back a tad on that left upper edge
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*As a side note, the corner bend on the upper left corner wasnt there when i sent it in. Had to have happened after it got to PSA. Kind of ticks me off, but oh well. >>

Do you have a scan of the card before it was graded? If so, send it in an email to Joe explaining the situation. If indeed PSA did do the damage, he will make good on it.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grade looks appropriate to me. I have a bunch of PSA 4s that look like that, some that look better and a few PSA 5s that look like it.
    Daniel
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Nice card...bummer on the corner issue. I am surprised more cards don't get damaged since they have to handle and put in holders.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree that the top left corner is what correctly put the card in a "4 slab". As was said before, if that is NOT what the card looked like when you sent it in and you have a scan, send it to Joe along with a brief explanation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Regardless of grade, that's a great card!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The top left corner would have been compressed when the card was in the Card Saver. In the PSA holder it just returned to what it looks like without the Card Saver pinching it. If you put it back in the Card Saver it will look the same way you sent it in. The top right and bottom left are weak and rounding, and the bottom right corner has a similar ding and flaring of the corner tip as the top left. Nice central looking card for the grade, but with all the corner issues it's more of half court 5.
  • Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    No matter the grade, that's a beautiful card of my all time favorite (and many others)!

I am surprised at myself that, of all the cards I have bought & sold thru out the years, I have never owned my favorite!

Got to make that a priority this year!!!