Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

which wax/cello box has the most percentage growth over the next year?

Of all the 4 major sports, which wax/cello box from 1975 - 1989 has the most possible percentage growth over the next year in your opinion? Looking back, I think the 1981 Topps wax had to be one of the best over the past year. Steve was selling those for $90/box last spring.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    78 and 79 wax and cello boxes, as well as 80 wax boxes have risen sharply over past year, too. A 78 wax box was $500 2 years ago~now it's over 2K.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    speculative thought: should Mattingly guide L.A. to a WS title, expect the lid to blow off of everything 1984. image
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    This is kind of like posting on a finance forum: what US large cap stock will increase the most over the next year? Everyone has their own opinions but its all just speculation that you shouldn't put much faith into. My advice...buy what you enjoy buying.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I expect 88 Donruss to explode from $1 a box to $1.50. Where else are you going to find a 50% return? image
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    any OPC up to the early 80's
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    I'm betting on 1986 Topps FB
    Vintage Ohio St. football items, always buying, PM me with any you might want to sell.
    Also looking for 2005T FB AA, 1986T FB, 1960T FB autographed cards
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    All FB, lol.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    1985 Topps Baseball
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>any OPC up to the early 80's >>

Yup, yup. Go conduct a search on eBay and see how many OPC boxes you come up with from 78-81.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there are several 80's Topps football cello boxes that will see an increase in price. Most cello boxes sell for about the same or a few dollars more than the same year wax box but they are much tougher to find. Try finding a 1980 Topps football cello box. I see packs listed but can't remember the last full box I saw. There was a cello wrapped brick of 24 packs on Ebay a few months but there wasn't a box with it. 1984 and 1986 Cello boxes are also pretty hard to find.
    James
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that the run of 1981-1986 topps baseball wax, cello and rakpaks may see a huge jump. I don't think they have gone up like 1978-1980 has in the same span, and they are the last of the real collectable topps baseball years before the big production run up of 1987, 1988, 1989 etc....

Just my $0.02

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I can't see anything post 1981 significantly rising in value any more than it has because there is just so much product and cases of boxes still out there. Production was ramped up exponentialy each year after 1980. And by 1981-82, collectors and dealers were already hoarding cases.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I bought 5 1985 topps cello football boxes in 1999. I opened one in 1999 and put a set together and got a psa 9 dan marino out of it which I sub'd personally. I still got those 4 boxes... I probably always will.

• Options

<< <i>I bought 5 1985 topps cello football boxes in 1999. I opened one in 1999 and put a set together and got a psa 9 dan marino out of it which I sub'd personally. I still got those 4 boxes... I probably always will. >>

I need a non Xed out one for my collection. image
    James
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    There are a few products from the late 1980s and early 1990s that were produced in fewer quantities than the early 1980s and probably 1970s as well. So I would be careful in using a blanket statement on those boxes.
  • Options

<< <i>There are a few products from the late 1980s and early 1990s that were produced in fewer quantities than the early 1980s and probably 1970s as well. So I would be careful in using a blanket statement on those boxes. >>

What standard issue from any mainstream card company during the late 1980s or early 1990s was produced in fewer quantities than the 1970s, or the early 1980s? Example, please.

• Options
    Not the standard products...but some of the others are harder to find in unopened form.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely niche products from that era that are quite limited but they don't currently, or will ever, have the demand that a Topps product will. It's not enough for something to be rare, it also has to be wanted. I know, I collect that stuff. When it pops up there's little competition for it.
  • Options
    am on BBCE right now. 1984 topps baseball in the sights yay/neh ?
  • Options

<< <i>There are definitely niche products from that era that are quite limited but they don't currently, or will ever, have the demand that a Topps product will. It's not enough for something to be rare, it also has to be wanted. I know, I collect that stuff. When it pops up there's little competition for it. >>

Sometimes all it takes is some awareness. Up until a few years ago, people thought of opeechee as being a worthless inferior product to Topps.
  • Options

<< <i>Not the standard products...but some of the others are harder to find in unopened form. >>

That may be correct for oddball stuff, but for the purposes of this thread, we are talking about regular issue card sets from mainstream card companies, and there is no question that production totals were exponentially higher each year beginning with 1980, and to insane levels by the mid to late 80s. Which is why none of the issues for Topps, Fleer and/or Donruss will ever show significant appreciation, imo. There's just way too much product out there.

OPC is an interesting example. For baseball, at least, production levels were typically 5-10% that of Topps, yet even for those issues, as supposedly scarce as they are (though some issues do seem rather plentiful, still), values are still much lower than Topps, throughout the 1970s and 1980s, even for the toughest years like 1973 and 1974, and even 1980..

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>am on BBCE right now. 1984 topps baseball in the sights yay/neh ? >>

I say hit it and float all the commons in the pool like you did the Cansecos.
  • Options
    OPC being Canadian has no chance against the American muscle of Topps no natter ten fold product
  • Options
    oh jeez stalkers are back
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>oh jeez stalkers are back >>

Lmao!! Hello pot..
  • Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are a few products from the late 1980s and early 1990s that were produced in fewer quantities than the early 1980s and probably 1970s as well. So I would be careful in using a blanket statement on those boxes. >>

What standard issue from any mainstream card company during the late 1980s or early 1990s was produced in fewer quantities than the 1970s, or the early 1980s? Example, please. >>

Maybe 1992 Bowman Baseball. That could see a nice % increase.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What standard issue from any mainstream card company during the late 1980s or early 1990s was produced in fewer quantities than the 1970s, or the early 1980s? Example, please. >>

Maybe 1992 Bowman Baseball. That could see a nice % increase. >>

1993 Topps Finest?
  • Options
    1996 Chrome basketball
    James
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe 1992 Bowman Baseball. That could see a nice % increase. >>

1995 seems to have been a shorter production run as well, a bit easier to find unopened, but not by much.
  • Options
    1992 Bowman? Those packs were priced higher 10 years ago than they are today.

• Options

<< <i>1992 Bowman? Those packs were priced higher 10 years ago than they are today. >>

The 1992 Bowman was in response to your production run question, which I would say most definitely is smaller than Topps issues of the late 70s/early 80s, not the original question in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1992 Bowman? Those packs were priced higher 10 years ago than they are today. >>

The 1992 Bowman was in response to your production run question, which I would say most definitely is smaller than Topps issues of the late 70s/early 80s, not the original question in this thread. >>

92 Bowman had a smaller production run than late 70s early 80s Topps? Really? You wouldnt know it by supply and availability. Perhaps that should be the more relevant factor.

• Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    I was really commenting on the price increase possibility, not production numbers as I have no idea but assume less than reg issue topps, donruss, fleer, upper deck. Also love the set with all the rookies and potential HOF players.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The 1992 Bowman was in response to your production run question, which I would say most definitely is smaller than Topps issues of the late 70s/early 80s, not the original question in this thread. >>

92 Bowman had a smaller production run than late 70s early 80s Topps? Really? You wouldnt know it by supply and availability. Perhaps that should be the more relevant factor. >>

Try finding a complete set of 1992 Bowman on eBay (query '1992 bowman complete set -(93,team,your,hockey,football)') vs. a 1978 Topps complete set (query '1978 topps complete set -(79,team,your,hockey,football,basketball)'). Discounting the non-sports that come up in the 1978 query, there is still an extreme discrepancy. Unopened is reversed, but not nearly as extremely. Production runs cannot be determined by looking at unopened currently available in a vacuum.
  • Options
    Unopened is where my focus was. I will take your word for it that there are fewer 92 Bowman sets available vs 78 Topps, but that may also have to do with the fact of value, too. I have never perceived 92 Bowman as a scarce issue considering how cheaply and easily unopened product is for that year.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Anything after 1981 would not be good. The price of unopened is driven by the difficulty of pulling mint or gem mint cards.

My top choices:

1981,1984,1986 football
    Football is grossly undervalued compared to baseball, and these 3 sets have the icons.

1981 topps baseball
    The prices should continue to rise as the PSA10's continue to be near impossible. It's a lotto ticket to get the elusive and first Fernando rc PSA 10

1980/1981 topps basketball
    Seems this is quite a bit more difficult to find than 86F, and the bird/magic card is a classic that should continue to go up

1975t mini
    These have been going up but still are quite a bit less than the regular and much rarer.

I used to say OPC baseball but it just never seems to catch on. There isn't a large collecting base for it thus the prices seem to stay relatively stagnant
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Demand is high on early 80's unopened....boxes and packs have become collectible even in addition to the pulling of gem mint cards. 1992 Bowman, has a good chance. Keep in mind, that late 70's baseball has a 13 year head start on pack opening. Granted it may not be next year, but in 13 years, I would say 1992 Bowman with the low production, comparatively, the Rivera rookie, the Piazza rookie and a handful of nice star cards will make it a pretty good bet.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    I actually do have a PSA 10 1992 Bowman Piazza RC that I bought years ago from Mark Murphy. I may have paid a bit more for it back then vs its present value, as I just checked ebay and it appears it's not quite a $50 card, so there is certainly a lot of room for appreciation, LOL..

• Options
    I have a hard time believing the 1980s are ever going to make too much noise, especially the latter half, but I'm still very curious to see how the set registry affects the unopened prices. Overproduced doesn't mean unpopular and there's an entire generation that grew up opening 1986 -1989 that haven't begun the long-honored tradition of putting together high grade sets of cards from the issues of their youth. If the registries pick up, there will be a long period of time where people will be able to break rack and wax cases very cheaply looking for high-grade cards. I would expect that period to last quite a while, as there's more of that product available than probably any other era to-date. But as a fan of those years, I'm looking forward to seeing submissions flesh out a set and see where the condition rarities lie, as well as to see posts about people excited over low-pop 1986-1989 submissions. That's going to be fun for me.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a hard time believing the 1980s are ever going to make too much noise, especially the latter half, but I'm still very curious to see how the set registry affects the unopened prices. Overproduced doesn't mean unpopular and there's an entire generation that grew up opening 1986 -1989 that haven't begun the long-honored tradition of putting together high grade sets of cards from the issues of their youth. If the registries pick up, there will be a long period of time where people will be able to break rack and wax cases very cheaply looking for high-grade cards. I would expect that period to last quite a while, as there's more of that product available than probably any other era to-date. But as a fan of those years, I'm looking forward to seeing submissions flesh out a set and see where the condition rarities lie, as well as to see posts about people excited over low-pop 1986-1989 submissions. That's going to be fun for me. >>

At first blush, I think you have a point, Arthur, but with submission fees being raised to $7 a card now, I can't see too many people submitting even 1970s commons in large quantities anymore (less maybe low pops), let alone common cards from the 1980s. I think if submission fees are ultimately raised to $10 a card down the line (which I can envision at some point), it will have a significant impact on the set registry, as well. It just won't make sense to submit these cards in large quantities when the cost of grading the card (in many cases) is higher than the value of said card grading Mint 9 (or even Gem Mint 10 for 1980s issues).

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a hard time believing the 1980s are ever going to make too much noise, especially the latter half, but I'm still very curious to see how the set registry affects the unopened prices. Overproduced doesn't mean unpopular and there's an entire generation that grew up opening 1986 -1989 that haven't begun the long-honored tradition of putting together high grade sets of cards from the issues of their youth. If the registries pick up, there will be a long period of time where people will be able to break rack and wax cases very cheaply looking for high-grade cards. I would expect that period to last quite a while, as there's more of that product available than probably any other era to-date. But as a fan of those years, I'm looking forward to seeing submissions flesh out a set and see where the condition rarities lie, as well as to see posts about people excited over low-pop 1986-1989 submissions. That's going to be fun for me. >>

At first blush, I think you have a point, Arthur, but with submission fees being raised to $7 a card now, I can't see too many people submitting 1970s commons in large quantities anymore (less maybe low pops), let alone common cards from the 1980s. I think if submission fees are ultimately raised to $10 a card down the line (which I can envision at some point), it will have a significant impact on the set registry, as well. It just won't make sense to submit these cards in large quantities when the cost of grading the card (in many cases) is higher than the value of said card grading Mint 9 (or even Gem Mint 10 for 1980s issues). >>

I hadn't realized that submission fees went up to $7/card. That's for the specials too? I could certainly see submission fees reaching $10/card like you suggested by the time what I'm talking about occurs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

At first blush, I think you have a point, Arthur, but with submission fees being raised to $7 a card now, I can't see too many people submitting 1970s commons in large quantities anymore (less maybe low pops), let alone common cards from the 1980s. I think if submission fees are ultimately raised to $10 a card down the line (which I can envision at some point), it will have a significant impact on the set registry, as well. It just won't make sense to submit these cards in large quantities when the cost of grading the card (in many cases) is higher than the value of said card grading Mint 9 (or even Gem Mint 10 for 1980s issues). >>

I hadn't realized that submission fees went up to $7/card. That's for the specials too? I could certainly see submission fees reaching $10/card like you suggested by the time what I'm talking about occurs. >>

Yes, the current special is $6.75 a card (with a 25-card minimum) but when you factor in return shipping costs, it's actually more than $7 a card.

Personally, I think there should be a lower price point for post 1980 cards (sort of like what they do now with cards from 1956 or later), if only to encourage set registry growth like you illustrated, but I doubt they will establish such a tier of service.

• Options
    Going back to earlier topic. At current prices I`ve told myself, "self you can buy one more box from 81-83. I understand what has been said about 81 and production levels. But how can I not go 83 with 3 solid hall of famers.