Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps baseball centering question

I'm working on a custom 1970 Topps card, but am not sure on the centering. Is it from the top border to the bottom of the main text line, or would it be from the top border to the bottom of the text itself? Example, if there's a lower case "y" in the player's name, would it measure from the bottom of the Y, or the imaginary line that the rest of the text sits on?
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how PSA grades the centering on these, but I like the top border to equal the RL borders (assuming it's centered R/L). That's the way they look centered to me on any card w/only 3 clearly defined borders.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    In my experience they measure it from the edge of the card to the bottom of any text that drops below the line.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    dont know but cant wait to see your custom card, 2nd favorite year for all things Topps. 1971 ranks #1

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is.......whatever mood they're in with 1970's. Don't even get me started with 54 Topps.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Hmm, after mocking up a few examples, I think I think matching the top border with the bottom text line (not the text that dips below it) has better eye appeal.

Top border matching absolute bottom of text -------------- Top border matching with left and right borders
    imageimage

Top border matching imaginary line text sits on

• Options
    Anyways.... Here's the customs I'm working on.

Originally I made this card for these 3 Giants players who never appeared on cardboard. Since they all made their debut in 1970, I figured a 1970 style card would be good. The photos I found weren't that great, so I improvised by making a triple rookie card out of them:

I ended up finding some higher resolution photos of these guys, and figured I'd go back and see what they looked like on individual cards:
    imageimageimage

I haven't taken the time to design backs for them yet, that'd be the next step.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I'm curious - do you plan on printing these on card stock?
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool. I'm curious - do you plan on printing these on card stock? >>

What I've been doing in the past is just printing them up on photo paper, cutting them down to size and putting them in a top-loader.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I love your 1970 custom cards. I think your left and right borders might be a smidge narrow though. Do you give lessons?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>I love your 1970 custom cards. I think your left and right borders might be a smidge narrow though. >>

Crap, you think they were trimmed? image

<< <i> Do you give lessons? >>

Scan in a card to use as a template. Then in Photoshop (or a photo editing program you're comfortable with), recreate the card's elements (fonts, shapes, colors), and once you have your own template created, it's just a matter of finding good photos to drop in.

Here's a few of my other creations....

imageimage

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure how PSA grades the centering on these, but I like the top border to equal the RL borders (assuming it's centered R/L). That's the way they look centered to me on any card w/only 3 clearly defined borders. >>

100% agree!