Home Sports Talk
Options

Worst seating you ever had for a sporting event.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Late 1983, Lions were playing the Vikings for a playoff spot.

Monday night....with Howard Cosell doing color.

A friend called me late and had tickets. One left.

I jumped at the chance.

Cold snowy, drizzly yucky night. To save on parking the guy driving parked in a subdivision a mile and a half from the stadium.

Arrived soaked and cold. But who cared, the game was about to begin.

They were in the last, highest row of the Silverdome. Behind me were large ventilation fans, below a hundred rows of seats and what looked like a Tudor electric football game.

Lions won though and heck, and going to an NFL game is never a bad thing.

Comments

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I have two. Top row at Coleman Coliseum for a University of Alabama basketball game and the "limited leg room" seats where my knees were in my chest the whole game. My 18 month old son had no problems however. image

My favorite was only time I've been to Wrigley Field. Had seats behind home plate a few sections up. Was sitting right behind a big metal girder and had to keep leaning to look around to see the pitcher deliver to the plate. I looked at it as the ultimate Wrigley experience however! Added to the charm for me.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Late 1983, Lions were playing the Vikings for a playoff spot.

I jumped at the chance.

Cold snowy, drizzly yucky night. To save on parking the guy driving parked in a subdivision a mile and a half from the stadium.

They were in the last, highest row of the Silver dome. Behind me were large ventilation fans, below a hundreds rows of seats and what looked like a Tudor electric football game.

Lions won though and heck, and going to an NFL game is never a bad thing. >>

LOL, my "worst" is the exact same one as yours! Went to a Lions/49ers game in early/mid-90s and our seats were in the very top row of the Silverdome. In the corner. And the Lions got crushed. But hey, at least I got to see Steve Young and Jerry Rice in person.

Pretty sure it was this game
  • Options

<< <i>But hey, at least I got to see Steve Young and Jerry Rice in person. >>

Well sort of, from up there. image

Cool to watch the punts from those seats. At their zenith, they are well under your line of sight.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "a Tudor electric football game" image

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily the seats, rather the people near them. Early 2000s, wife and I went to a Bucs game at their current stadium. Hot, humid day, early part of the season. I'm thinking it was an October game against the Vikes. We are in the upper section, view is okay, if a bit far away. Game close to starting and two VERY large guys squeeze into the seats next to us. They try to be polite as they make their way to their seats, "don't mind two fat boys coming through". I let me wife sit to my left, while one of the jumbo-sized guys sat to my right. I felt like I had about 3/4 of a seat the whole game. Picture sitting next to a really large person spilling over into your seat on an airplane.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I jumped at the chance.

They were in the last, highest row of the Silver dome. Behind me were large ventilation fans, below a hundreds rows of seats and what looked like a Tudor electric football game.

LOL, my "worst" is the exact same one as yours! Went to a Lions/49ers game in early/mid-90s and our seats were in the very top row of the Silverdome. In the corner. And the Lions got crushed. But hey, at least I got to see Steve Young and Jerry Rice in person.

Pretty sure it was this game >>

That was a Sunday game.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    14 December 5, 1983 Minnesota Vikings W 13–2

It was game 14. If memory serves, the win by Detroit clinched at least a playoff spot.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst seats...nosebleed section under the partial roof at Wrigley for Cards vs. Cubs. Nice breeze, liked the shade but much like an earlier poster there was a post blocking my view of roughly half the field.

Worst TIME... at Busch, Cards vs. Phillies, 95 degree air temp, 120 on the field, drank 2 beers and probably $50 worth of bottled water between me and my GF at the time, monster headache and sunburn, made it through the game, got to the parking deck, got sick, barfed, got about 10 miles out of STL and the A/C compressor in my vehicle blew. No A/C for the 3 hour drive home. Limped my vehicle home, serpentine belt snapped when the compressor pulley finally seized up just as we got into the driveway. Pushed car out to the curb for tow truck access. Went inside, passed out, woke up some time later laying on my den floor with the cat staring at me. Bloody nose, second degree sunburn on left shoulder (fortunately no scarring), $1200 repair bill on vehicle, and another bill (can't recall amount) from doc-in-a-box for heat stroke & sunburn treatment. GF felt bad; she bought me the tickets as a gift but hey, stuff happens.

Other than that I had fun, we won, and hey, I lost about 8 pounds. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    My worst seat happened be in front of some drunk db at the Buccaneer's old stadium. I was probably 12 and was there with my dad watching the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL play.

The drunk barfed two times. The last of which splattered all over my feet and legs. My dad did what any good dad would do. He stood up and threatened to kick the guy's sorry butt lmao! Security saw the disturbance and drug the guy out of the stands.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The drunk barfed two times. The last of which splattered all over my feet and legs. >>

As of right now Matt ... YOU WIN! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The drunk barfed two times. The last of which splattered all over my feet and legs. >>

As of right now Matt ... YOU WIN! lol >>

Thanks Doug...I think lol
  • Options

<< <i>

As of right now Matt ... YOU WIN! lol >>

Not going to beat that story.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Mom once told me how when she was preggers w/me in the summer of '61, she went to a Dodger game and sat out in the blistering hot sun just to see Koufax pitch.

you do the math. image
  • Options

<< <i>Mom once told me how when she was preggers w/me in the summer of '61, she went to a Dodger game and sat out in the blistering hot sun just to see Koufax pitch.

you do the math. image >>

Picked up some nasty sunburns at Arizona stadium. Learned quickly that night games are your friend.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to top Matt's experience...especially being a kid at the time.
    You know-I like to have a brew at a game as much as the next guy, but I never understood the mindset behind going to a major pro sporting event for the sole purpose of getting drunk off your arse. You've already spent $$$ on tickets, travel, concessions and the like... so why would you do all that just to drink till you hurl, alienate those around you, and not enjoy (or remember) the game? If you just want to get plastered you could just go to a sports bar or stay home and watch the freaking game-saving you money and saving others from having to deal with your sorry butt.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sometimes you just get lucky. took my fam to a Dodger game more recently, the McCourt Years. last time we went during that era, in fact.

our seats were in front of a loud group of guys, drinking beers, etc. and they actually seemed nice enough early on, trading jokes with us and each other, but progressively getting more abrasive and, of course, plastered.

my wife was getting stressed, the kids were hearing new words. these guys were laughing it up and having a peanut fight. one of them lol'ed with his mouth full and spit chewed up peanuts on my hand.

i said "Dude you spit peanuts on me. Chill." he said "You guys better move before we get the pizza and nachos."

couple innings later, they got tossed by security. another family behind them complained about the cussing and that was that. image
  • Options

<< <i>i said "Dude you spit peanuts on me. Chill." he said "You guys better move before we get the pizza and nachos." >>

You have to have some guts going to see the California teams play. Nothing but horror stories seem to make the news from these venues.

Been to many games over the years In Detroit and here in Tucson and really do not recall many bad experiences with other attendees. Sure you get the fat guy that always seems to be seated behind you yelling at the ump between beer gulps, but never have witnessed anyone being hauled out.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I jumped at the chance.

Pretty sure it was this game >>

That was a Sunday game. >>

The link I gave was for the game *I* went to, not the one OP mentioned. Two different games, same stadium.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1968 Tiger Stadium. Detroit vs Baltimore. Sat literally behind a pole. Look up obstructed view in the dictionary and my seat will be pictured providing this it's not the actual size picture of the pole. The Tigers turned a triple play that game of course. I heard it.

I have also sat in the top row of the Silver dome for a MNF game against the Bears in 1981. It was the game that Eric Hipple threw 4 tds and cemented his ticket to the HOF

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>1968 Tiger Stadium. Detroit vs Baltimore. Sat literally behind a pole. Look up obstructed view in the dictionary and my seat will be pictured providing this it's not the actual size picture of the pole. >>

Pole or no pole, no better place to be in 1968 than the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

Did Gates get up to bat that day?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1968 Tiger Stadium. Detroit vs Baltimore. Sat literally behind a pole. Look up obstructed view in the dictionary and my seat will be pictured providing this it's not the actual size picture of the pole. >>

Pole or no pole, no better place to be in 1968 than the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

Did Gates get up to bat that day? >>

Nope but Tommy Matchick got to playimage

The triple play went McClain to Matchick to Cash. Boog Powell lined one into McClain's mitt. Denny's 27th win. Here is the box score

Sept 1, 1968
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    No wonder they pulled Ray Oyler. His batting average matched McClain's at .137.
  • Options

<< <i>No wonder they pulled Ray Oyler. His batting average matched McClain's at .137. >>

The Tigers were in first with Baltimore in second. The highest average that played that day for either side was Willie Horton at .284. The pitching mound was about 10 ft high back then

MJ
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Saints vs Chargers in the Superdome in 1977 or 1978. We had front row seats in the end zone. Final score: Chargers win 14-0. Both touchdowns in the opposite end zone. Never saw a play within the 20 yard line of where we were. Blech!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/