Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Clemente Set Question - 1971

Thought I would tackle a couple of Hall of Fame player sets, and in my research, I noticed that Clemente's 1971 Topps card is significantly more valuable than his 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, etc. It really sticks out. What is the reason for that one card to jump in value over earlier issues?

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about his regular Topps card, there are a few reasons. First, it's a semi-high number. Second, it's a 1971 Topps card with black borders. Makes it more difficult to find in high grade because any minor chipping can drop it to a 7 or lower.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Pirates won the Series that year, too. i'd assume team set collectors like that high grade example as a prominent feature.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, no real reason. Look at the pop reports and there are tons graded, heck I believe at one time the 70 was tougher in 8 and 9.

There has been a lot shilled auctions and fake sales of the card that have people believing it is rare or should be $600.

Right now it is all in perception not reality and I think it will eventually come down in price.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Didn't realize it had gone up so much. I still viewed it as a $200 card. Though I do see I sold one back in 2011 for $465. LOL
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    its a beautiful card, much nicer then previous years
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Related topic: what's the deal with the 73 Clemente? He died in 72, but they produced a card anyway.... But it doesn't mention his death. Is there a story to this?
  • Options

<< <i>Related topic: what's the deal with the 73 Clemente? He died in 72, but they produced a card anyway.... But it doesn't mention his death. Is there a story to this? >>

He died on December 31, 1972. The '73 Clemente was in the first series. I'm sure it was already produced before he died. If it was still in the design phase, I'm sure they would have made it an "In Memoriam" card like the '64 Hubbs. Hubbs died in February of '64 but his card wasn't issued until the last series, giving them plenty of time to modify the design of his card to indicate his passing.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Because this is what we did to our beloved Roberto cards image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'