Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Samples - a classification system using PCGS Generations. (Latest update 1-19-25)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
SAMPLES SAMPLES SAMPLES

So, if you buy into the PCGS generations I proposed in another thread PCGS Generations - an attempted update., it makes organizing PCGS samples easier. The classification scheme presented here is based on the PCGS generations as a foundation. After all, it only makes sense that samples were distributed at the same time as the generations listed above to promote them (well, there are some exceptions, but they will be noted in each section). It's real strength is in being able to find a sample quickly and efficiently and knowing whether you already have it or need it. Cameron Kiefer (CK) was the pioneer who started organizing samples from many TPG's and it's a great asset that can still be found at Sampleslabs.com (referred to as SS from here on out). The weakness for me is that his generations relate more to when the sample was discovered by him rather than how they relate to each other by generations. Since it hasn't been updated for several years, it makes organizing more recent samples difficult. This thread will hopefully bring us up to date and newer generations can be easily added.

Rarity This is somewhat subjective and is based on what I and a few friends have seen. Also, if not on SS (up until it was no longer updated), it's probably at least scarce!

Somewhat problematic are special issues that defy simple classification by generation. The more recent Asian issues for example will be classified by their date of issue rather than by generation.

If you have information that can make this more useful or accurate or if there is misinformation posted here, please PM me - the idea is for it to be continually updated. Especially needed are dates when specific samples first appeared within each generation.

Typo's are being corrected. The original version froze on me and PCGS couldn't fix it. I had to cut and repaste every picture and paragraph, one by one, with all the emoticons and bold designations having to be redone. I'll be reviewing now and then to be sure the original intent carries over.

The numbering will change as new samples are discovered and an attempt is made to place them in proper chronological order (rather than being based on discovery date). The general scheme is as follows. The first number will be the generation followed by a number that attempts to place in chronological order when that sample appeared. Some later samples require a more complicate scheme (the buffalo herd) and it will be explained with those samples. Finally at the end are slabs that don't fit in the general PCGS generations scheme. These will be listed at the end by year of issue. It was developed somewhat by the need for my photo files to be organized in proper chronology.

Update 7-17-14 In the process of shrinking the photo's to a smaller size. PCGS IT has concerns that the thread might crash again if it get's to be too large a post. Adding a few slabs now and then as well.

Sample 1.0 This is reserved for a white rattler sample, should one ever be discovered.

Sample 1.1 The .1 designates this as the second sample version in a Generation 1 holder. It's the classic rattler with the coin number, grade and serial number all "0". They are found in a variety of dates typically from 1959 to 1964. A earlier date, 1957, appeared on ebay 4-22-2014 and went for $525! image If you have a sample with a earlier date, a picture would be appreciated. Cameron noted these come in MS and proof format with the grade on the insert still "00" - I've chosen to lump them together rather than create another "generation" for this style. If a label calling the coin proof were to appear, now that would be different, as noted in the 1.2 section.

Sample 1.2 The classic rattler now introducing the coin number, grade and the nonsense serial number 7000023. The grade also appears above the word "Sample". These are seen from 1957 to 1964 - if you have an earlier one, a picture would be appreciated. Often the coin number doesn't correspond with the coin in the holder and the date on the insert. Cameron noted these come in MS and proof format - I've chosen to lump them together rather than create another "generation" IF the label calls the coin MS.

Sample 1.3 This one is worth calling out as different, a rare version of the Sample 1.2 style with PR instead of MS. Picture is borrowed from SampleSlabs.com. Fun coin number that corresponds with a Proof 1961 Franklin Half! Said by Cameron to be rare and he is right! Every once in a while you'll see a MS Sample 1.2 with a proof coin number!

Sample 2.0 This is the basic generation 2 holder which carries on the same numbering scheme, coin number with nonsense serial number 7000023. The coin number is the same no matter the date! Most commonly seen with a 1964-D Roosevelt dime. It would be interesting to know if this serial number means something to PCGS?? Nothing comes up in the cert. verification with this number, unlike later samples. This is a fairly scarce sample style with a short lifespan.

Sample 3.0 General Comments:

This is the Doily type that comes in 3-4 variations. This from CK: "Within a couple of years, a dealer got the bright idea to counterfeit the PCGS slab and make his own slabbed coins. It worked for a little bit, but he was soon caught. It brought too the attention of PCGS (and the other services) that better security had to be used on their slabs so that if someone tampered with a slab, it could easily be detected. The newer slab had an outer ring and a hologram on the back. The label was printed with thousands of small dots on a dot matrix printer. The “Doily label” slab as we call it today was born but did not last for long. Made from August of 1989 through January of 1990, few of these samples survive."

The variations of the samples will be described below. The only one not seen to date is variation 3.20.

Sample 3.0.1 This is the rare Doily sample that Oreville has posted so much about. It differs from other rattlers in that it doesn't have the white background behind the serial number and the corners look rounded, perhaps hand cut. "Sample" is centered under the grade rather than to the left. The Doily design forming the background on the insert is different than the following generation. The rarity is unknown but so far (as of June 2014) only 5 are accounted for. The coin number and serial number are the same as for the generation 2.0 samples.

Here's a close up of the doily styles - you can see that the designs making up the background and PCGS letters are quite different.

Sample 3.0.25 The numbering of this sample follows the above generations scheme, general style 3 for Doily, similar to generation 2.5 with the coin number aligned with the left margin of the barcode. As in earlier generations, odd in that the coin number doesn't match the date. This one is somewhat unusual as it's also mislabeled, the coin 1961 in a 1961-D holder.

Sample 3.0.35 The numbering of this sample follows the above generations scheme in that this is a generation 3.0 sample, style 3.5 as it follows the generation 3.5 layout (PCGS at top, coin number left of barcode). Same coin number no matter the date. 1964-D Roosevelt dime most common.

3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5

Sample 3.5.1 This sample generation follows the general 3.5 generation style with PCGS 2 piece holder, numbers left of the bar code and PCGS at the top. It's not clear to me which of the samples in this generation came first. Help would be appreciated so these can be put in order! This one has both a nonsense coin number and serial number but the grade following the coin number is correct. Cameron when developing SampleSlabs.com mentions that this label w/o serations "shouldn't exist" but probably confused it with the generation 2.0 sample rather than recognizing it as following the generation 3.5 style. All 3.5's that I've seen (regular or sample) have this style label.

Sample 3.5.2 The only difference between this one and the 3.5.1 is the addition of the word "Dime" following sample. Have also seen a 1961-D dime.

Sample 4.1 I'm listing this as the first of the Sample 4.0 generation since it follows the same nonsense numbers for the coin number and serial number as the preceding generation. Just like the other OGH label, the color isn't stable so they can be found with yellow, green or blue labels like this one. Other than the change to a 1 piece holder, it's the same layout as the Sample 3.5 This has to be by far the most common sample slab seen offered - dates range from 1955 to 1964. I have yet to see a coin in the holder not match the label in this generation.

Sample 4.2 Now this is a cool Sample! I think it fits best here as it's very similar to the preceding Sample (coin number and serial number). I'll let CK speak for this one, copied from SS. As of May, 2004 this is the highest price sample ever sold - a record holder! It sold for $265 at the end of April, 2004 on eBay and beat the HALLMARK price of $250 set just a few weeks before that on eBay. It is the only known sample right now with a Franklin half and suprised all collectors when it came up for sale. The coin is a nice Mint State piece despite the "Circulated" label. This is a type to look out for at shows or in dealers cases.

Sample 4.2 This Morgan is very different than the more common Morgan samples in having the nonsense coin number similar to the Franklin 50c above. Not sure how rare these are or if they have simply been overlooked. I think both this and the preceding Franky are Sample 4.2's, just different denominations. LMK if you think it deserves a number of it's own.

Sample 4.3 This is an unusual sample and best fits here because of the coin/serial number. Not sure why the non-sense coin number and grade are reproduced above the serial number? See the sample that follows as well.

Sample 4.4 Now this is a rare one for 2 reasons! First, odd that the nonsense coin number and grade are duplicated above the serial number and the truly nonsensical coin number (6564321), no . or / before the typical (for generation) serial number. Second, the only Mercury dime seen so far in a PCGS sample slab! If we follow the EAC guidelines, this one might be NC (considered non-collectible and not needed for a complete set).

Sample 4.5 Sample has been moved to the middle and "War Nickel" added. The coin number has been added and so far as I've seen, the coin number is correct for the coin in the holder. These are fairly scarce and a complete date run would be a nice accomplishment. This from SS: "Some of these samples still have the paperwork accompanying them from Tangible Assets Gallery who gave them out to clients to acquaint them with a “Sample PCGS Certified Coin.” The nickel I have is really beat up and I think they could have used a better example. More people would have saved them had this been the case."

Sample 4.6 The Liberty nickel found in this generation is pretty well worn. Not sure why this coin was chosen?? The coin number matches the coin in the holder but just like the war nickel, it's
ungraded. Not sure what the date range is on this one - dates I've seen include 1902, 03 and 10 - if you have other dates, let me know. image

Sample 4.7 A 1964 Kennedy is found in this generation, the label the same whether it's a P or D product. This is a fairly common sample slab that can be found almost every day on ebay. This from SS - "This sample was a dealer only sample to show them the new label. They were given to PCGS dealers and not the general public. It contains a 90% silver half dollar and I think they did this so the slab had a better chance of staying intact or not being thrown away by the dealers."

Sample 4.7.1 This type with the MS shifted just to the left of sample is somewhat less common. Actually, MS has remained centered and everything below it has shifted one way or the other, the coin/serial number now better centered on the barcode. In addition, the coin number is for a 1963 Proof Franklin! The label is the same whether the coin is a P or D.

Sample 4.8.1 This generation features a 1921 Morgan dollar. The quality of the $1 is so-so, many appearing cleaned and polished, hence the word "Circulated". The label is the same with the coin number for a 1921-P Morgan but these labels are seen with all 3 mint marks, P, D and S. A set of all 3 MM's in this holder is needed for the most avid sample collector. image These come in green and blue labels - haven't seen a yellow one yet, personally. Many come with the inner holder yellowed. According to SS, these were dealer only slabs. In August 2014 20 were offered as one lot on ebay - all 1921 on the label with a variety of label colors, mostly a variety of green, 1 blue - pictures were such it was hard to make out the MM's. Several were more worn than typically seen.

Sample 4.8.2 A small minority of the coins in this generation have the D MM on the label.

Sample 4.8.3 Similar to the prior but with the "S" MM called out on the label.

Sample 4.9 This is one of the tougher samples to find. The coin number matches the coin. The grade is center and SAMPLE has been shifted to the left. An example sold for $127.50 on ebay 12-1-14.

Sample 4.10 This is a variation of the preceding sample with the coin and serial number shifted to the right. Another scarce to rare sample. This from CK:This type was not known until November of 2003, when a small hoard came on the market from a private collector. It is unknown how many were made. Instead of a Roosevelt dime, this sample type has a Washinton quarter inside. The label is a yellow tint, although a few of the pieces I have seen have faded to a light yellow color. Every sample is graded MS-64.

Sample 4.11 This is similar to the layout of Sample 4.5 but Sample now shifted to the right. This has to be a scarce to rare sample as I have yet to see one offered! Borrowed from SS.

Sample 4.12 I struggled with how to number this one and it seems to fit here best. Sample to the left, MS centered with the coin grade "00" after the coin number.

Sample 4.13 This is also one of the more uncommon samples featuring a Swiss coin. IIRC, these all have the same date. Cameron notes this is the first time a world coin appeared in a sample slab and may have been a promotion in the early 1990's to promote PCGS's foray into certifying world coins.

Sample 4.14 Another rare one as noted by CK. This (along with the picture) is borrowed from SS: "Another world coin in a PCGS sample slab! This sample has the green colored label compared to the yellow label of PCGS 9. It was made around the same time period and this is the one and only one I have ever seen. The coin is in Mint State condition, and the slab has the standard "12345678" for the serial number like the other more common dime samples. This is definately one you want to look for!"

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

Sample 5.1 These follow the Generation 5 style. They tend to be harder to find than other generations. I have no clue in what order they were issued so will begin with a dateless Buffalo nickel for the fun of it. As noted by Cameron, these first appeared in 2004 and are hard to find. Most all are dateless. The coin number 3914 corresponds with nothing! The Buff 5c series begins with 3915 so it might be a "Type coin" number reserved by PCGS. Interesting label orientation, "PCGS SAMPLE COIN" with a space between 3914 and .00 "grade". New reverse label with "PCGS Copying Prohibited" added, seen on all Sample 5.0 slabs. One of these sold on ebay March 2014 for $507.99 with a warped or melted insert.

Sample 5.2 This style has the Grade centered between PCGS and the coin/serial number with SAMPLE shifted to the left. The coin numbers are correct for the coin in the holder. The nonsense serial number 1-8 as on earlier issues, no / through the 0 of 10C. These are at least scarce and the 5c/25c pieces are rare.

Sample 5.3 Very similar to the preceding but with a MS Jefferson nickel, SAMPLE in the middle with the grade following the coin number. Scarce/rare, so borrowed from SS.

Sample 5.4 This one has SAMPLE centered between PCGS and the code, the 10c lacking the slash through the 0 as on prior generations. The code 5121 belongs to a 1960-D Roosevelt dime! The nonsense serial number ends at 7 rather than 8 for some reason. There are very few samples with a 7 digit serial number. Obviously this slab wasn't owned by a sample collector, the hologram on the reverse abused. Very similar to Camerons' "5.4" but different in that his had the correct coin number for a 1961-D dime and graded "00". The sample shown here came from England - if only slabs could talk. image

Sample 5.5 Similar to prior but the grade is .00. Borrowed from SS.

Sample 5.6 This has the same nonsense code as the preceding samples so it's placed here. Cameron describes it best, so I'm just going to paste his comments here. "Now this is a neat slab! I am calling this slab a sample for several reasons but PCGS doesn’t even remember making it! Instead of the word sample in the middle of the label this one has “Specimen”. The coin is a normal MS-68 silver eagle and not a special strike or proof specimen. The serial numbers have “500000.00” before “/1234567” (which is very similar to the 12345678 on the normal green label samples). Could it be the 500,000th coin graded? Maybe. Could it be a sample? Most likely."

Sample 5.7 Unlike the previous coin, this is unlikely to be a sample but since it doesn't fit in anywhere else and it's such a cool holder/label that I've decided to put it here anyway. image
Coin number is correct, grade .00 is very rare for anything other than a sample. "CIRC" rather than "CIRCULATED" is rare. Cert verification at PCGS notes the correct coin number and year with a grade of VF30. If you have any info about this style, I would appreciate a PM.

Style of Sample 5 but not a PCGS Sample

This from SS: This slab was once thought to be scarce. It might still be semi scarce if no one saved them, but recently I found out from David Hall who told me “These were an item in a Random House marketed Scott Travers "Coin collecting starter kit. "I believed we did either 50,000 or 100,000 of them.” If this is the true production numbers, this is the largest number of samples made for any time from any of the services! Most samples don’t even have 1,000 made of one type.

The Back of the slab is Green and white and does not have the hologram. The dates I have seen range from 1918 through 1929 and each coin is in Fine through Extremely Fine condition. Group lots of 4-8 of these samples can easily be found. This type could still be a challenge for a “short set” of sample slabs by trying to get one of each date.

Since CK wrote about this, a small number of 1917's have shown up. Also, the dates 1921 and 1922 probably were not produced in the 1917-1929 date run and have not been seen to date. It's unusual to not see these on ebay on any given day.

BStrauss3 posted this picture on 1-18-15 on the US Coin forum. Nice addition to this section.

Sample 6.1 These feature a Canadian 1967 nickel and dime, ungraded as MS00. Note the lack of the / separating the coin number/grade and serial number. The serial number is for a MS65 2000-P NH state quarter that is in a registry set. This same number appears on the other Canadian denominations of this style AND on a later generation Sample NH state quarter as well. No barcode front or back. SS also shows these with a Canadian 25c piece. As will be noted in later generations, the Sample 6 style was quite spread out over time with some coming towards the end of the Sample 7 era (as evidenced by the hologram change on the reverse). In order to keep them neatly organized by style, they will reside here. If you have specific date information when and where they first appeared, a post or PM would be appreciated.

Sample 6.2 Similar to the preceding but Sample in a different position following US Philippines. Early version of this generation confirmed with the older reverse hologram, not shown at SS. This could easily be placed towards the end of this era as the reverse barcode anticipates the transition to style 7.

Sample 6.3 This is a Sample from Bowers and Merena which was based in NH but is no longer in business. Follows the same scheme as 6.1 it features a NH state quarter, general style of Generation 6, no barcode on front or reverse. There is no coin number, grade or serial number. Still has the PNG hologram on the reverse which changed in 2004 when PCGS "lost" the contract with PNG. These are seen from time to time on ebay and are relatively common.

Sample 6.4 This was made near the end of the Sample 7 era sharing the same serial number with them and the new hologram w/o the PNG logo, the hologram now featuring NASDAQ:CLCT with a Saint Gaudens $20. Graded .00 with the correct coin number. The serial number corresponds with a 1880-S Morgan MS61 that's in a registry set! CK notes the following: This sample appeared at the 2006 FUN show in Orlando, FL. The label is much different than previous years’ samples. The whole font is bold and the type is smaller than usual. There is no barcode on either side, and this type can be found with the following states: Vermont D, Rhode Island P, and Kentucky D. To that list I would add NY and NH.

Sample 6.5 Start of the buffalo herd! There were a lot of buffalo 5c samples made that include Generation 6 and 9 styles. Although they follow the Gen. 6 obverse, the reverse has the newer hologram that followed Gen. 7! They will be listed here for stylistic reasons. Rather than call them out as a seperate, new generation, I'll be listing them as a single generation here and in the Sample 9 section but calling out why they are different by specific notations (explained with each). It's not confusing if you read the description of each one and it helps to keep them neatly in one area. If you have one not listed here, please offer it to me. image

Here's a general key: The variations are mainly in the placement of "Bison", the use of regular vs italics and serial number vs phone number. Regular font is assumed w/o the letter "i".

B = Bison
S = serial number
P = Phone number
NS - no spacing
c = centered
h = high
i = italicized

Sample 6.5-BcNS The notation stands for Bison centered, No Space (NS) between the lines. The font is bolder on this sample than those that follow. If like the other bison samples, they should come in both P and D MM's. No serial number at all. Post-2004 hologram. According to CK: This type first appeared at the Denver ANA Show (August, 2006). CK also notes that these preceded the following Sample but I'm going to leave it here for stylistic reasons.

Sample 6.5-BcS Regular font, Bison centered (well, sort of), Serial number at bottom. No bar code, same hologram as the preceding sample. According to CK: The first Buffalo Nickel PCGS samples appeared at the 2006 ANA show in Atlanta, GA (April). The coins are not graded but the word “sample” is placed to the right of “PCGS”. The font is bold but spaced apart.

Sample 6.5-BciS Similar to the prior, Bison centered and italicized (Bci), Serial number at bottom. No other changes.

Sample 6.5-BciSi - Similar to prior, Bison centered italicized (Bci) and Serial number italicized (Si) along with the coin number, of course. I ignore the coin number in the notation as it's a constant and as you will see on the next one, a phone number replaces the serial number.

In October 2014 St. Louis Coin offered this sample on ebay and included this tidbit of information: It was in fact given out at the PCGS booth at the 2005 St. Louis Coin Expo. This specimen is from a consignor, but I too was at that show and received one.

Sample 6.5-BhP-BuG If you've gotten this far, you're probably scratching your head on that one. It simple means the Bison is high rather than centered (Bh), the phone number has replaced the serial number (P) and the B of Bison is under the G of PCGS (BuG). Don't ask me why the subtle changes - I'm just trying to keep track of them! image

Sample 6.5-BhP-BuS Similar to the above but "PCGS-Sample" is shifted to the left changing the relationship to the date, now with the B of Bison under the S of PCGS (BuS).

Sample 6.5-BcP Similar to prior, Bison now centered (Bc), P for phone number.

Sample 6.5-BciP Similar to prior, Bison now italicized (Bci).

Sample 6.5-BciPi - Similar to prior, now with Bison centered and italicized (Bci) and the Phone line italicized (Pi). There is a very similar Sample that has paper that looks like a later generation but the difference is so subtle that I won't be listing it w/o further confirmation.

Sample 6.6 Another sample given out by Cameo CC. I don't know where this fits since the reverse isn't shown at SS. CK notes this: This is a really neat sample! The label is different than PCGS 17 although they were made during the same time period. To top it off, the date is wrong! I don't know how many were made but this was the first one I had seen like it so far (May, 2004).

Sample 6.7 I was getting ready to post this classification when this sample showed up! I have no clue where it fits in temporally since it has no similar attributes to any of the other Sample 6.0 slabs. The coin number is correct but it has the rare 7-digit serial number that is seen on only a handful of PCGS samples. It has the later hologram so it might as well be placed here. image

STYLE OF SAMPLE 6 BUT NOT REALLY A PCGS SAMPLE

PCGS Samples were made to promote PCGS. Others were made under contract to PCGS to promote THEIR business. Sample 6.3 falls in this category but since it's listed as a sample at SS, I've chosen to leave it there.

Style that best fits Sample generation 6, promoting UCB with a 2 Peso Mexican coin.

This one promotes NFC coins selling as TNFC on ebay.

National Silver Dollar Roundtable featuring a non-silver dollar. image Same style as Sample 6 with the older hologram.

National Silver Dollar Roundtable 2005 with the newer hologram on reverse than on the prior sample.

Style of Generation 6, likely a promotional for marginal quality Morgans in order to give them some cache'. If you know who the submitter was or how many were made, a PM would be appreciated.

Early gold type obverse with FastCoin.com advertising on the reverse. Odd that a chipped slab would be sent with my purchase??

Style 6 on the obverse but with a rarer generation 8 reverse sticker, PCGS/CLCT under the coin. I suspect that the Sample 6.0 design was used much longer than the PCGS Generation 6 style was used. By the time Sam. 8 came along, there just wasn't any room left on the insert to deal with the sample information or advertising. The hologram on the later Sam 6 samples is a later version than is seen on the early Sam 7 samples, especially for the Buffalo samples that seemed to span a very long time.

Sample 7.1 These follow the Generation 7 style with the bar code on the back, PNG hologram, the series and coin number called out making for a much too busy slab. Layout as shown which will change slightly on future generations. No state abbreviation before 25c, coin number correct, serial number reveals nothing in the cert verification at PCGS. PNG logo still on the reverse. This is by far the most common sample in this generation and comes in a variety of states and mint marks. I've seen Conn. 1999-P with WA forward, Conn. 1999-D with the reverse forward, NH 2000-P with reverse forward, MA 2000-P with reverse forward, 1999-D Delaware with WA forward, 1999-P Delaware with WA forward, 1999-D NJ with WA forward, 1999-D GA with reverse forward along with the 3 shown above. There are a few examples where the font seems larger/bolder but the difference is slight so they will be lumped together here.

Sample 7.2 This is a twist easily overlooked - Sample preceding the state name. This is either scare or has simply been overlooked by me and others! Borrowed from SS. This may need to be moved once I know which hologram was used.

Sample 7.3 On this Sample a / has been added between Pennsylvania and Sample. Not sure if there are other states with this style or not. PM's appreciated!

Sample 7.4 This follows the style of an earlier sample with "Collectors.com Sample" instead of the State. Barcode on reverse, PNG hologram. These are scarce. I'm not sure how many states were featured, SS having a Mass. quarter shown so there are at least 2. It's interesting that the coin at SS has a different serial number than this one. As you'll see, the next generation shares this serial number. Neither one reveals anything in the cert. verification at PCGS. CK notes these were given out at the 2000 Long Beach show.

Sample 7.5 Similar to the preceding but now with Sample-collectors.com and reversal of the coin with WA on the front. Interesting in that the 2 I've seen have the same serial number as 7.3 above. Barcode on reverse, PNG hologram. These are also scarce. Was there a web site ever functioning with this address?? I checked for the 1st time in 2014 and there wasn't one.

Sample 7.6 PCGS.COM featured on this sample with a low value Lincoln penny! As noted by CK, it's unknown how many were given out but it can't have been too many as it's scarce! If you have one, LMK which hologram is on the reverse.

Sample 7.7 Like the preceding, this one is rare enough that I need to borrow yet another picture from SS! This features the web site address, all lower case. If you have a spare of one, offer it to me!

Sample 7.8 Interesting twist, very similar to the earliest Sample 7 styles but w/o a state and with a Roosevelt dime, 1963-D and Sacajawea $1. Same reverse as the preceding. No info in the cert. verification for this serial number. This also is seen with a Lincoln 1c, a 1969-D, a 1964-D 25c WA quarter, both shown at SS.

Interesting variations of the Sacagawea samples - these appeared on ebay Jan. 2015. Not exactly sure what the reverses look like as I was outbid. image The left slab is probably not a sample. The middle sample has a different serial number than the sample in 7.8 above. The right sample has Sacagawea added before Sample, an interesting twist to be on the lookout for.

Sample 7.9 Similar to the preceding state quarter samples but with NG00 replacing MS00. Not sure how many states there are with this style. Coin number correct, no info in the cert. verification for this serial number.

Sample 7.10 Very similar to earlier generations but with the state abbreviation NH before 25C.

Sample 7.11 This sample anticipates the style which follows w/o barcode but before the nonsense serial number that follows from here until the end of the Sam. 7 era.

???? Similar to the preceding examples but state abbreviation added before 25c with space between and NG00. CK notes this is a harder sample to find and dates from early 2000. Borrowed from SS - if you have a spare, LMK. Will number once the reverse style is known.

Sample 7.12 Style wise this fits in best here - no NY before 25c, PCGS-Sample, same serial number as those that follow and the older hologram. This one surprised me when it appeared in early 2014.

Sample 7.13 This from SS: "This slab has both the words “Sample” and “Compliments of….” They were given out by Cameo CC, a modern coin dealer based out of Ohio. The coin is choice, and could easily make the MS-66 grade. A sample slab with a New York quarter was also made for them by PCGS."

Sample 7.14 This from SS: "These slabs were given out at a PCGS sponsored lunch at the May 2003 Long Beach show. PCGS Message board members were invited to attend and this slab was a special gift for all that attended. Only 40 were made and it has become one of the scarcest sample slabs made by PCGS."

Sample 7.15a New style with PCGS-Sample above the state name. In this case, they forget to Google the correct spelling for LA. There is a sample with the correct spelling as well. Correct coin number, grade still .00, a new serial number that will carry on through the remainder of the gen. 7 samples. Note the orientation of the / and . is different than the preceding between the coin number and grade! 71041540 is the serial number for a 1880-S Morgan MS61. image Note the change on the reverse with no bar code. Not sure how many states come in this style.

Sample 7.15b Corrected spelling for LA but still with the incorrect placement of the "." and "/".

CK adds this at SS: Since 2002, PCGS has been giving out New York and Louisiana sample slabs at every major show. This is the most modern type of label for their samples. What makes this sample unique to the rest of the others over the last two years, is that PCGS spelled Louisiana wrong! Look how they spelled it...... They must have made a batch all with the wrong spellings. Check your samples for this interesting and funny type! I ddn't even notice the mispelling at first.

Sample 7.16 Correct spelling and placement of the"." and "/". image This generation also comes with a 2001-P NY quarter - others??

Sample 7.17 Spelling corrected but the "." and "/" are in the wrong position just like in the sample with LA spelled incorrectly. Has a different hologram not often seen. Not sure if this was the first hologram to follow the PNG hologram or the second. If you know specifically, let me know. A very interesting sample!

Sample 7.18 Same as Sample 7.16 but with a newer reverse hologram. Same incorrect serial number that was used frequently for some reason. SS has an example with the Series and Coin Number in bold font, a interesting twist. Not sure of the reverse hologram style on that one. CK notes these first appeared September 2005 at the Long Beach show. I've seen NY and RI in this type - others??

Sample 7.19 Another unusual variation that fits best here. The dash between PCGS and Sample has been removed as has the space between LA and 25C top right. Same serial number. CK notes "a large hologram on the reverse" which I assume means the new style hologram/sticker. Another tough one to look out for! Once the reverse style is defined, this one may need to be renumbered.

Sample 8

None seen to date. The label might have been so crowded already that there was no room for the sample/advertising information. The Bison samples spanned this period and probably met the needs of PCGS until Sample 9 style holders were made.

Sample 9.1 These are very similar to the Sample 6.4 versions but of course now follow the Generation 9 layout. The spacing between PCGS - Sample is greater than for Sample 6.4, the nonsense serial number has been added and the bar code is on the front. No change in the reverse design, the hologram not changing until Generation 10. While not rare, they are seen less commonly than the 6.4 version. They come in P and D MM's. For those that are sharp eyed, the bar code under the serial number is different for each even if everything else (including MM) is the same - not sure why? Now, you're wondering who would even pay attention to that sort of thing?? image

Sample 9.2 A phone number replaces the nonsense serial number on this version, o/w the same as Sam. 9.1.

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

Sample 10.1 Change to the new darker background, the word "shield" centered high and the peak of the shield centered between 20 of 2010. This will shift to the right on a later generation. This has the earlier reverse hologram.

Sample 10.2 This is the only one from this generation I've seen w/o a barcode. Has a 2010-D shield 1c with the Secure Plus shield. The nonsense serial number is similar to earlier generations but longer, the coin number correct. Subtle change in the reverse sticker, the easiest pickup being the elimination of the space between : and CLCT.

Sample 10.3 Differences from 10.1 include the centering of "Shield" and the newer reverse hologram. The relationship of the lettering to the shield varies subtly from slab to slab. It makes sense that the inserts come with the shield pre-printed and then PCGS prints the label depending on their needs, accounting for the subtle variations.

Sample 10.3P I had this in my duplicate box before realizing it had the pronged holder, different than the above. Insert and prongs are clear.

Sample 10.4 This is a fun one - the word Shield has been shifted up and CSNS YN Treasure Hunt has been added.

Sample 10.5 Shazam! In the middle of this boring run of samples PCGS comes up with a dual-coin sample! Given out to promote the introduction of their duo slab, only about 15 were made. There was a real flurry of activity to get these at the 2012 Philadelphia ANA, about 10 given away by Don Willis at the PCGS luncheon, another 5 or so to prominent dealers. I saw one in a dealers case before the luncheon but they had no interest in selling it. This is one to watch out for but I haven't seen one offered since they were issued! Interesting in that acan451 has posted a very different reverse in his Samples blog, a reverse I've never seen personally, shown below.

11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

Sample 11.1 These follow the Generation 11 design. Features a 2009-D 1c Lincoln-Early Childhood with correct coin number, grade .00 and nonsense serial number. Barcode at bottom, no change in the hologram.

Sample 11.2 Custom made for the Diablo Numismatic Society, missing the usual features of a regular sample but providing the period of issue, April 2013. Same reverse as the prior sample. Mine has a 2009-P in the holder.

Sample 11.3 Similar to Sam. 11.1 but now with a shield 1c, "Shield" centered.

Sample 11.4 Same layout as prior but 2013-D.

12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

Sample 12.1 This is a new style holder released in Feb. 2014 at the LB show. Coin number 517517 is correct for the coin in the holder. The reverse hologram made it's debut at FUN 2014 on the luncheon slab. It's hard to get a good picture of the hologram since there are 4 numbers that appear as the slab is rotated - maybe someone will make a youtube video?? In the meantime, a animation cartoon can be viewed at PCGS. Other changes to the holder/slab are as noted in the generations post in another thread.

Sample 12.2 A 2014-D 1c in the same generation sample holder but with coin number 524409 was given out at the 2014 June Long Beach show. Same sample given out at the summer ANA in Chicago both at the submission booth and to YN's who completed the treasure hunt.

Samples and non-samples that defy being pigeon-holed into a generation! The holders/samples that follow just don't fit neatly into the above generations scheme but are still collectible. They include true samples advertising PCGS, advertising pieces made by PCGS (for dealers, clubs, etc) and novelty items ("lunchtime pieces" made by employees of PCGS, for example). I've chosen to simply put them into the year of issue as that is the easiest way to find out if you need them or not. Each year will be the heading followed by the holders/samples that fit best in that year. This includes the Asian samples. Listing by year facilitates finding them to see if you have vs need them.

Shown earlier in Sample generation 6, posted here as well because of the date on the reverse.

Interesting slab said to have been made by a PCGS grader to give to family/friends, "less than 12 made". Was offered on ebay early 2015 via an intermediary, the grader wishing to remain anonymous.

This came available in early 2015 from a former employee/grader. It was given to employees in 2006, PCGS's 20th Anniversary.

Presumably a corporate promotion but I don't know the details - PM's appreciated if you do. image

Christmas gift from Rick Snow in 2007 for his customers.

Issued in 2007, 200 made. One of the more attractive Asia issues.

On occasion PCGS will create pieces for special guests, investors, etc. These 2 were said to be "VIP" samples. I don't know anything more than that and have put them here because of the 2008 on the holder. If you have any more specific information or examples with different Presidents, please let me know.

PCGS sample, limited edition for Christmas 2009, likely for dealer submitters. Total made?? Given the bullion value, I not many were made and imagine many of these were cracked out. The survival number is unknown.

This was one of the coins given away by PCGS to a subscriber of the e-zine, the monthly newsletter, 3-31-09. They started the giveaway in November 2008. I tried to buy the first coin ever given out but after contacting the listed winner, he claims to have never received the coin even after contacting PCGS. image

This was likely a dealer sample given out at the Las Vegas show. While it's a "member" show, typically the trinkets are given to the dealers who attend and have a table. Same for the PCGS Members Only shirts.

This was given away March 2010. Grades "88". image Interesting to see the mock up of the slab from the PCGS website in comparison (second photo below the actual slab).

These were produced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of PCGS's founding.

Issued for the 2011 Hong Kong Int. Coin Convention August 2011. Web site on the reverse is www.pcgsglobal.com which by 2013 changes to www.PCGSAsia.com.

Probably a dealer vs VIP sample given the value of the 2012 ASE within. 2012 date on the obverse, PCGS Opening on the reverse. Interesting that an American coin would be used for a Chinese show. These are at least scarce and not often offered.

This was issued for the Beijing International Stamp and Coin Exposition, again featuring a US coin. Not sure why a 2009-D Lincoln was chosen?? This one shows moderate spotting.

Another Hong Kong Opening sample, April 2012 with a 2011 5 Jiao coin. Coin grade is 80! Nonsense serial number with sample in small letters after the barcode.

This one is very similar to the preceding sample but w/o the red background and from August 2012.

Issued at the Sept. 2012 Long Beach show, a James Monroe $1.

February 2013 LB show with a 2009-D Lincoln 1c.

Another Asian sample, HICC with specific dates this time, April 5-7, 2013. No bar code or web site address on the reverse.

This was given out during the June 2013 Long Beach show - it has the month but not the dates.

Graduation "sample" handed out at the completion of the grading classes taught by PCGS at the Long Beach shows. Not really an advertising "Sample" so placed here as a PCGS collectible slab.

Another LB PCGS sample, this from Sept. 2013. Interesting to see the 2011 date on the reverse. I've seen these with D and S MM's. Any P's out there??

Not exactly sure if this was given out at the Sept. 2013 or earlier. Bought it in a lot of coins that included the Feb. and Sept. 2013 LB samples, so am guessing it was given out in 2013. If you know specifically, let me know. Features a Teddy Roosevelt dollar.

Sample from the October 2013 Korea show. This from CoinWeek. The three-day show in Seoul, October 26 – 28, 2012, was sponsored by the Ministry of Strategy and Finance, the Bank of Korea and Shinhan Bank. A PCGS Authorized Dealer in Korea, Coinstore (www.pcgs.com), hosted a meeting to introduce PCGS services to the presidents of local coin clubs.

PCGS "sample" given to YN's for completion of the treasure hunt held at the Feb. 2014 show.

Hong Kong show, HICC, 4-4-14. Comes with the newer version holder introduced in 2014 but with a solid color insert on one side, colorful on the other, no hologram.

These 3 are from the June 2014 Long Beach show. I'm told that the YN's were able to choose from a variety of samples at the end of the treasure hunt. The 50th Anniversary LB sample was said to be the least common and least selected by the YN's. It will be interesting to see how many appear on the secondary market. Update These were also available at the Sept. 2014 LB show. On 9-14-14 the 50th Anniversary Kennedy's were offered on ebay, the P version bringing $132, the D version $188!

This is a very interesting sample for several reasons. It's the first from a Canadian show that I've seen. PCGS wasn't physically in attendance but the sample was included in the convention packet for the dealers. The show was in Toronto August 13-16, 2014. There were 43 dealers with 63 tables, so the number made could be as low as 45. If anyone knows how many were made and who else might have gotten them, please let me know. Finally, the slab/hologram is a style from a earlier generation pre-dating 2014. The coin is a 2014 50c piece. The queen isn't sneezing - it's a scratch in the plastic. One brought $89.89 on ebay 11-26-14.

Sample from the HICC show in Hong Kong 8-22-14. It's interesting that the Asian samples will occasionally have the date range for the show, something you don't typically see on the American samples.

This dime made it's appearance at the Sept. Long
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow what a thread as it has my head spinning! imageimage

Congrats on the acquisition of the 10.5 as that was so cool to see at the show when it was introduced...

I asked if they were giving these away and was told it was for display purposes only. image

P.S. I hope there's a good story on how you managed to pry the Treasure Hunt samples away from YN's...

Like did you promise to buy them a car or pay for college imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, tons of samples!!! Thanks for putting it all together!

<< <i>

P.S. I hope there's a good story on how you managed to pry the Treasure Hunt samples away from YN's...

Like did you promise to buy them a car or pay for college imageimageimage >>

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim, man are you really into this or what? This is a great, well researched idea, one of the best around. You should write a book. Numismatics, ain't it grand?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive indeed! What an effort. I'm exhausted just scrolling through it.

WTG, Lakesammman.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Boiler78 says I'm the Simpson of Samples. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boiler78 says I'm the Simpson of Samples. image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding post! I was going to start a thread about these at some point, but I'll ask here. Ever seen either of these? I have a couple of the D-mint Bison samples, but this is the first P-mint I've found. I've never seen the other one before either:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Nice - the TNFC is listed towards the end of Sample 6.0 section.

I haven't figured out how to handle minor variations like P and D MM's. Probably will just show them with the same generation number. Same with the different states but the exact same holder - might show them with a state abbreviation and MM annotation??

I'm open to suggestions - this is a forum project. image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

Love the modern store cards image
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    nice work
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Excellent info, Thank you image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How often does the Rick Snow slab become available? It would be cool to have one image
  • Options
    Stumbled upon a suspected sample slab. It's either gen 4 or gen 5, but it has no writing on the insert at all, it's just a blank green sheet. Coin is a memorial cent. Any ideas as to what it is/worth?
    Specialist in Lincoln Cents, Toned Type, and Slab enthusiast.
  • Options
    Looks like I've exceeded the memory capacity of PCGS once again! image

Things are disappearing and it can no longer be edited.....oh well......image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file