Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE Wrapped Premium

Is it consistent across unopened percentage-wise or more a fixed dollar + smaller percent? It's difficult to find apples-apples comparisons, but is it really over a 40% premium when selling?

82T Vending (non-BBCE) $70 Dlvd

82T Vending (BBCE+Probstein) $100 Dlvd

Comments

• Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Yup, I'd say the odds of the non-wrapped one being searched is at least 80% on ebay. BBCE only authenticates vending from unopened case breaks.

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I'd say there is a solid 20% premium on most boxes. Maybe a bit more on vending.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On vending boxes I would say that the BBCE seal increases the value 20-40% depending on the value of the box. Being a Probstein auction probably helped too. Check out the 1982 baseball wax box that they sold a few days ago. BBCE had them at $250 up until a week or two ago.
    James

1982 Baseball Box
  • Options
    My unopened collection is not much- but for what little I do buy, if it doesn't have the BBCE 'seal of approval' I'm not interested.

If that makes me one of the sheep, then BAAAAAAAAAA.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i guess that makes me a wolf. image
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    That's ridiculous for that 1982 box... especially when the 82 Donruss boxes all went between $90-92 (vs $110 at BBCE). But I'm always weary of ebay prices (especially peculiar ones). I think a lot of people see what something sells for on ebay and take it as market value... not considering the seller didn't make that much (5-10% fees), the buyer didn't pay that much (ebay bucks, coupons, credit card rewards), the price may include some or all of shipping costs, or that the sale may have never gone through at all. But that has no bearing on that 82 box, but I take that as an anomaly rather than the "new" market value.

While vending is the exception, if Steve charges 5%... to me, it adds 5% to the value.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to imagine that the premium is more on a vending box than on a wax box. At least with a wax box, an experienced collector could probably do a halfway decent job of inspecting the packs and seeing any glaring red flags. But with a vending box? There's much less you can do without actually going through the cards (at which point, you've opened it). I would value a vending box on ebay at (card count x price for an EX-MT common).
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's ridiculous for that 1982 box... especially when the 82 Donruss boxes all went between $90-92 (vs $110 at BBCE). But I'm always weary of ebay prices (especially peculiar ones). I think a lot of people see what something sells for on ebay and take it as market value... not considering the seller didn't make that much (5-10% fees), the buyer didn't pay that much (ebay bucks, coupons, credit card rewards), the price may include some or all of shipping costs, or that the sale may have never gone through at all. But that has no bearing on that 82 box, but I take that as an anomaly rather than the "new" market value.

While vending is the exception, if Steve charges 5%... to me, it adds 5% to the value. >>

I agree that the 82 Topps box was an anomaly. I just bought one from BBCE a few weeks ago. The BBCE sealed ones usually sell for $250 or so on Ebay when they are listed, which isn't very often. That was one of the boxes that I needed for my collection so I have been watching them.
    James
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the 1982 box is an anomaly. However, the idea that since Steve charges 5% then the premium is 5% is faulty reasoning. Taking this to a different example, since PSA may charge $6 for submitting a 1957 common, if it pops as a Gem Mint 10 is the value added $6? No, it is quite a bit more. Steve charges a fair amount for the service of authenticating boxes. The value of this seal of approval I would guess would range anywhere from 10% on the low end to perhaps 50%+ on the high end. The newer the product, the less the premium commanded. The older and/or more likely tampered a product may be, the higher the premium.
    Steve
  • Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a dissenting opinion based on other posts, but I would personally pay a higher premium on the BBCE wrapped wax over the BBCE wrapped vending. I'm no expert, but to be able to replicate the pattern of an undisturbed vending box seems next to impossible. Generally, you can look at the vending box and know something looks fishy...while, for me at least, it's more difficult to determine the validity of packs, especially in pictures. Another factor in this equation is that I've heard BBCE does not wrap vending NOT from a sealed case, but I'm curious as to why I see so many vending boxes without that "from a sealed case" notation...is that just assumed? If so, that would be good info to have and I wonder (as part of his service) if he would add that notation on any BBCE vending box that didn't have it?