Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Seeking advice: 1953, 1954 or 1955 Topps baseball?

Am getting toward the end of a 1956 set, and looking for my next challenge.

Have been thinking of starting a mid grade registry set for 1953, 1954 or 1955 next. I think I could do the 1953 in say PSA 5, and 1954 or 1955 in say PSA 5 to 6 range, so wondering what folks opinions would be, as well as what should I be scared of?

1953 I like mainly because there is a Mantle, I know there are high numbers and not sure how hard those will be to find (or how expensive?). I also kind of like that they're "portraits" and not pictures, but the color part of the border scares me some.

1954 I like because of the Aaron RC and I really like the background colors, many of them are really stunning and give real personality to each card, but they also seem like they'd be a real bear due to centering.

1955 I like due to the Clemente RC and I like the similarity in style to the 1956 (pretty similar minus the action background shots on the diamond), but that similarity also probably discourages me a little bit because I'm not sure they're that different.

Tell me what you think, I could use some help before I head down a path.

Comments

• Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    53! I just like it best.
  • Options
    I am working in all three but am only 42 away from the 53 set being done in PSA 6+ and I have to say its my favorite of the three and was the easiest to assemble. The 55's are hardest in the grade I want them in Psa 7+ because of the high numbers and I'm guessing your progress will becsl
  • Options
    Cont

Slowed by the big three in the 54 and 55 set those can get pricey. With the 53's you can find cheap PSA 5's in the lower series all over and a nice centered 5 for that year are really easy on the eyes. Long story short I'd start the 53 set first.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Budget not withstanding, 54 is my fav design of the 3.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Budget not withstanding, 54 is my fav design of the 3. >>

Agree. Plus three stellar rookies (Banks and Kaline, as well as Aaron), which is either an enticement or an impediment, depending on your point of view.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    One card away on 1955 topps clemente. I like the set of the three the best. Did mine in the 6 grade . Then going to do the 53
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am working on all three of those sets in PSA 8 for a client and I have a ton of duplicates that has very high eye appeal in PSA 5/6/7. If you decide to start any of these sets I can give you an incredible boost. I don't have very many from 1955 Topps but 1954 and 1953 I have roughly 100 each.

The 1954 Topps set is going to cost 1/4 of the cost in PSA 5/6/7 than a PSA 5 1953 Topps set. I personally love all three of these sets so you really can't go wrong with the decision you make.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    mattinglymint23mattinglymint23 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭
    53!
    Hope to start once I get through most of my 56 set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote is for the '55 set. Killebrew, Clemente and Koufax are the big three here. No offense to the three HOF rookies in '54, I like my three better.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm partial to the 55 set. I did it about 6 or 7 years ago in PSA 6. Sold it in 2009 for a very nice price. It's an easy set to do as far as vintage goes. The only difficulty in the set is finding nicely centered hi numbers.
    That being said, if I already had a 1956 set, I wouldn't go for the 55s only because of the similarities of the two.
    I think I would go with the 54s. Great rookies and 2 Teddy's. Very colorful, and appealing set. The absence of Mantle in the set isn't a real concern for you since you have him in the 56.
    Good luck with what ever you choose!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My vote is for the '55 set. Killebrew, Clemente and Koufax are the big three here. No offense to the three HOF rookies in '54, I like my three better. >>

Joe--your Killebrewitis is impacting your judgement :-)..... 1954
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    great replies folks - thanks for that and keep it coming if anyone else wants to chime in

i'm probably leaning toward 53 or 54, but it's a pretty close vote so far it seems - definitely not a clear winner anyway
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    DO THEM ALL!! YEEHAW!!!!