Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What about "coin shop impossible" as a show?

So I am watching restaurant impossible and had the thought that some of the top people in the industry along with PCGS could go to failing coin shops and rework then and bring them into the future. It would help those that really need the help and would be great advertising. I would watch the show, would you? Would you nominate a shop?

Comments

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Wow.

I can just imagine the volume of yelling between the experts and the ancient, grumpy, stuck-in-his-ways shop owner!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No viewers

Check spelling in sig line

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    whats wrong with my spelling?
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    nevermind
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Major restaurant changes like decor, menu, etc. can be changed without too much difficulty and have a large impact. Changing things like access to coins, increasing trust and customer base and the things needed for a successful coin show are a lot harder to do in a television show. It just probably wouldn't make for good television (screaming at stubborn owners not withstanding...). And of course the fact nearly everyone in the country would think it dorky image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats wrong with my spelling?

"What about "coin shop impossable" as a show" and then followed by "restaurant imposable" means that you have DOUBLE-DUMMIED-DOWN since the word you seem to be so hopelessly searching for is impossible!!!image

to make matters even worse, whats needs an apostrophe so it looks like this--what's--instead of how you have it. where did you go to school??
  • Options
    not to nitpick, maybe you should recheck your sig-line, it's missing an -M-
  • Options
    and as a result, every coin shop would end up the same,
    Every shop would have every known coin,
    in every condition, raw and slabbed by every service,
    all double and triple stickered,
    all priced at a bargain below wholesale prices,
    and all shops open 24/7 and will ship insured for free...
    What fun would that be ?
    and you guys would still find something to complain about... LOL
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    My sig line is a play on words from a different thread. Thank you for the corrections in my spelling as at times it gets very messed up. you should see it when everything si sdrawkcab
  • Options
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Many coin dealers could use a course in Customer Service. Some other suggestions might be: internet buying and selling, cleaning up the store area, better signs outside, brighter lighting. As for TV, the show would beyond boring. Coin dealers are often grumps, their customers often worse.
  • Options
    Keets I went to school in Tucson Az. and my school was a trailer to start out before they built a building. We did not even have paved roads till I was 8yo. I am not a fantastic speller, never have been and at time s my fingers do not push the right keys, sometimes the signals get all messed up because of my nervous system disorder. It is just how it is. Basically it is like having a form of dyslexia but lucky for me through a lot of training and practice i can at most times control it. Schools are much better prepared to deal with people who have disabilities but when I was in school in the 70s that was not the case for 2nd and 3rd grade I was actually separated from the classroom by being put behind a cut open refrigerator box. the funny thing is that my reading and comprehension are off the charts but spelling is still lacking, so one thing is making up for another. Any other questions please feel free to ask.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scene one:

An elderly couple comes into the shop. They have a large cardboard box stuffed with proof sets from the late 1960's and early 1970's.

The shop owner takes one look and offers face value.

The "expert" who is going to turn the shop around steps in and offers more than gray sheet ask.

The shop owner reaches behind the counter, grabs his shotgun, and shoots the expert.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I guess my idea was to go in and redo the store with all new fixtures and lighting. Making it possible to see the coins better. It would also be a way to spread the word of our hobby/industry in a good way by showing the grump how to not be a grump. Then when the store was done have tours for school children to encourage the young and expose them to the world of coins and their history. It is unfortunate that you all think our hobby/industry is so boring as it is exciting to me. If it is so boring why do you do it?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it is so boring why do you do it? >>

I liken it to golf.

Many people are fanatical and passionate about it. Playing, practicing, researching, etc., BUT can't stand to watch others play it on TV.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could do coin shop nightmare with a Ramsay clone.

He would stand behind the counter and shout at people that bring in coins that aren't slabbed to sell. He would have the shop owner lowballing them with an offer and he would blow up at them and say

He can't pay that much for your coin because

• Options

<< <i>Keets I went to school in Tucson Az. and my school was a trailer to start out before they built a building. We did not even have paved roads till I was 8yo. I am not a fantastic speller, never have been and at time s my fingers do not push the right keys, sometimes the signals get all messed up because of my nervous system disorder. It is just how it is. Basically it is like having a form of dyslexia but lucky for me through a lot of training and practice i can at most times control it. Schools are much better prepared to deal with people who have disabilities but when I was in school in the 70s that was not the case for 2nd and 3rd grade I was actually separated from the classroom by being put behind a cut open refrigerator box. the funny thing is that my reading and comprehension are off the charts but spelling is still lacking, so one thing is making up for another. Any other questions please feel free to ask. >>

What an amazing post. "My reading and comprehension are off the charts"...yes, I bet they are. On the bottom.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Keets I went to school in Tucson Az. and my school was a trailer to start out before they built a building. We did not even have paved roads till I was 8yo. I am not a fantastic speller, never have been and at time s my fingers do not push the right keys, sometimes the signals get all messed up because of my nervous system disorder. It is just how it is. Basically it is like having a form of dyslexia but lucky for me through a lot of training and practice i can at most times control it. Schools are much better prepared to deal with people who have disabilities but when I was in school in the 70s that was not the case for 2nd and 3rd grade I was actually separated from the classroom by being put behind a cut open refrigerator box. the funny thing is that my reading and comprehension are off the charts but spelling is still lacking, so one thing is making up for another. Any other questions please feel free to ask. >>

What an amazing post. "My reading and comprehension are
    the charts"...yes, I bet they are. On the bottom. >>

Between this and your memorial post, I have a wonderful view.

Empathy? Much?
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinrollhunter why do you feel the need to make fun of people with disabilities? It is not a good thing to make fun of people with disabilities. Learn some tact. "I pity trolls.

Keyboard warriors who have all the guts in the world when they're on a chat forum denigrating those who have honorably served their country but wouldn't dare say a damned thing to any of them in person.

It must make them feel better about themselves and the fact that they aspire to nothing greater than slinging burgers, playing Call Of Duty on the Xbox Mommy bought them and whining about things that other people have earned through blood and sacrifice.

All the while, knowing that these cowardly, juvenile attacks will not change the fact that in the grand scheme of things, they just don't count.

How very sad, indeed. "
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    Knowing how the producers fake this stuff, they'd be hiring people to bring in fake 1804 dollars and real 1895-O Morgans.
  • Options
    that would be funny to see "coin shop nightmare" could do a segment also called spot the fake for a giveaway.
  • Options
    I sure hope I didn't start anything by messing with John. we have PM'd and know it was all in fun. peace out, coinrollhunter.image
  • Options
    Keets you are something else in a good way lol and you would be a good candidate for the show...... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file