Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EBAY absolutely SUCKS for PM Buyers

I just went on EBAY looking to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce platinum eagle. I used the " lowest price+ shipping" function so that I could look at some of the cheaper ones without having to wade through the $7000 quarter eagles that I could easily buy elsewhere for $700. The absolute cheapest 1/4 Plat eagle is $440.22 and that is being sold by a well known online site. The cheapest one by an actual EBAY flipper is $450.00 and by the 4th or 5th listing they are asking for $500 +.

By the 2nd page they are asking $1250 all the way up to $3000 for a single 1/4 ounce platinum eagle. These coins can be purchased from APMEX for $375 upwards to $600. Now I realize that on EBAY you aren't getting"random year" coins. You know what year, grade if any, etc you are getting. But APMEX and several other reputable online dealers also have specific years available at a slightly higher price than their random year offers.

For example, right now APMEX has 2008 1/4 APE graded PCGS MS 70 for $513.77. The very same coin can be found on EBAY for $1250.00 buy it now. And he only wants another $14.99 for shipping. You would think he could cover shipping himself since he is looking for $750 more than APMEX for the same damn coin.

This is just one example but anything PM and I mean ANYTHING PM that is listed on EBAY can be found far far cheaper through a reputable online dealer.

I realize EBAY charges its flippers fees to Flip on its website. But the fees aren't anywhere near the absolute price gouging that goes on on EBAY. Theses EBAY flippers (if they are able to find an idiot to overpay for their items) are making a murderous killing. You guys should be worshipping EBAY, not condemning it. If anyone is getting a complete rooking on EBAY, it is the buyers, not the flippers.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Not everything is overpriced on Ebay.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think this problem is exclusive to eBay?

The number of overpriced PM dealers in the world outnumbers the "reasonable premium" dealers by maybe 50:1.
  • Options

<< <i>You think this problem is exclusive to eBay?

The number of overpriced PM dealers in the world outnumbers the "reasonable premium" dealers by maybe 50:1. >>

I have never seen anyone ask $2000 + for a 1/4 ounce platinum eagle anywhere other than EBAY. Although I don't doubt other sites have flippers trying to rip people off as well.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all bullion is the same image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I do is "just say no" to any seller's price you don't agree with, and buy elsewhere. Works for me.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    The high prices for platinum on Ebay are largely due to the combination of ebay fees plus the already higher markups on platinum compared to gold and silver. Ebay is also generally the place to buy slabbed bullion. Not many deals to be had on raw stuff.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>image

Not all bullion is the same image >>

Im pretty sure 2 separate quarter ounce platinum eagles dated 2008 and graded pcgs ms 70 are the same. Or at least close enough to the same that it is not warranted for one to be priced 250% higher than the other.
  • Options
    what an absolute crock. This is nothing short of THEFT.

ATTEMPTED THEFT

Then again, maybe his COPY is just nicer than all the other copies, and therefore its actual worth his $1500 BUY it now price. image

Damn you can buy the REAL coin from APMEX cheaper than the COPY on EBAY.

AND HE ONLY WANTS $50 SHIPPING.

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this (swings arm).
    Doctor: Don't do that.
  • Options

<< <i>Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this (swings arm).
    Doctor: Don't do that. >>

How did I know he would chime in.

So is that how you go about life. When you see someone committing blatant attempted theft you are just happy that you didn't fall victim. Who cares that someone else will fall victim. At least it wasn't you.

I love how when a online dealer accidentally posts multiple ASEs for $10 they get a reprieve from their mistake since it was an obvious mistake. And I agree they should not have to follow through. Its interesting how buyers cant rip off sellers, but its fair game for flippers to rip off their customers. After all, the customer should have known better. Seems in flipper world, its perfectly fine for them to rip you off, you should have known better. Sorry, but anyone who sells a COPY $50 BUFFALO for $1500 is a THIEF. Anyone who sells a 1/4 ounce APE for $2000 when the same exact coin can be bought in numerous places for $500 is a THIEF.

The "they should have known better" BS is a copout, and excuse. I will agree that anyone who buys this overpriced garbage, should have known better. But the person on the other side of the transaction is a thief just the same.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Are you comparing the "Same" 2008 Platinum coins?

Without looking, it sounds like maybe you are pricing the bullion against the low mintage W mint marked versions. Can you post some links?
  • Options

Caller: Police, there is a criminal shooting everyone in the street.
    Police: Just stay inside. You will be safe. Anyone who accidentally happens into the street because they were unaware will be shoot. But it will be their own fault. They should have known better. So you see caller, the shooter is not a criminal at all. Those who get killed simply should have stayed out of the dang street.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you comparing the "Same" 2008 Platinum coins?

Without looking, it sounds like maybe you are pricing the bullion against the low mintage W mint marked versions. Can you post some links? >>

Yes, they are the exact same. Neither are proof.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An uneducated consumer is their best customer.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I can't find hardly any 2008 $25 platinum on ebay period.

I found this one...but nothing more to compare to. apmex
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what an absolute crock. This is nothing short of THEFT.

ATTEMPTED THEFT

Then again, maybe his COPY is just nicer than all the other copies, and therefore its actual worth his $1500 BUY it now price. image

AND HE ONLY WANTS $50 SHIPPING. >>

all replica bullion is also banned from ebay. this can be reported for removal.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How did I know he would chime in.

So is that how you go about life. When you see someone committing blatant attempted theft you are just happy that you didn't fall victim. Who cares that someone else will fall victim. At least it wasn't you.

I love how when a online dealer accidentally posts multiple ASEs for $10 they get a reprieve from their mistake since it was an obvious mistake. And I agree they should not have to follow through. Its interesting how buyers cant rip off sellers, but its fair game for flippers to rip off their customers. After all, the customer should have known better. Seems in flipper world, its perfectly fine for them to rip you off, you should have known better. Sorry, but anyone who sells a COPY $50 BUFFALO for $1500 is a THIEF. Anyone who sells a 1/4 ounce APE for $2000 when the same exact coin can be bought in numerous places for $500 is a THIEF.

The "they should have known better" BS is a copout, and excuse. I will agree that anyone who buys this overpriced garbage, should have known better. But the person on the other side of the transaction is a thief just the same. >>

Wouldn't it be better if everyone agreed with you?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I know of at least one very frequent poster on these boards whom I noticed bought a coin a few months ago on eBay and now lists it there in his store for several hundred dollars more now!
    Yeah, I know the line....."snatched up a deal"
    That is BS in my opinion.
    And some talk about others ripping off the joe 6packs.
    What hipocritical BS.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>I can't find hardly any 2008 $25 platinum on ebay period.

I found this one...but nothing more to compare to. apmex >>

Ok, I posted one from apmex...where's the rest of them...I need some help because I can't find the one's you're referring to, and I'm generally good at finding things but will concede I worked all day and feel very tired...that's my disclaimer...

Ok, I took out my contacts ad searched with my glasses. Can't find anything that resembles your post...where are they?
  • Options
    Some of my best steals have come from eBay purchases.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

The number of overpriced PM dealers in the world outnumbers the "reasonable premium" dealers by maybe 50:1. >>

Seen more over price in the last couple of years on the bay.... BIN offers so high it is a waste .. could rising ebay seller fees push these prices up ?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of my best steals have come from eBay purchases. >>

Agree. Ya gotta sometimes take the initiative and negotiate your price. Many sellers looking only at active listings to get an idea of what they should ask. Few of them look at actual sold prices.

There are deals that pop on ebay for bullion but they disappear quickly. To the OP, keep in mind that non-storefront ebay/paypal fees work out to about 13%. A bullion coin that sells for less than 13% over spot on ebay actually nets the seller less than spot. Another reason there are so many overpriced listings is because of ebay's current free listings policy - a seller has nothing to lose asking moon money, eventually a fool might stumble across his listing. Supply and demand works on ebay just like it does everywhere else": If a seller really wants to make a sale he will price his product competitively. When he asks for moon money he is fishing.

ATTEMPTED THEFT >>

He actually has three identical listings, but they won't be there much longer. image

It's like anything else, buy where you get the best price and best service.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>I know of at least one very frequent poster on these boards whom I noticed bought a coin a few months ago on eBay and now lists it there in his store for several hundred dollars more now!
    Yeah, I know the line....."snatched up a deal"
    That is BS in my opinion.
    And some talk about others ripping off the joe 6packs.
    What hipocritical BS. >>

I lurk more then I post just due to this. Lots of pots calling the kettle black around here! Not all BUT some......
  • Options

<< <i>$985 on EBAY, $595 on APMEX >>

Then buy from Apmex.

• Options

<< <i>

Then buy from Apmex. >>

Oh you can count on it. Casman asks for links, so I provided a couple.
  • Options

<< <i>

Seen more over price in the last couple of years on the bay.... BIN offers so high it is a waste .. could rising ebay seller fees push these prices up ? >>

Ebay listings are free now. Put anything up at any price and keep your fingers crossed. no loss but listing time.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seen more over price in the last couple of years on the bay.... BIN offers so high it is a waste .. could rising ebay seller fees push these prices up ? >>

Ebay listings are free now. Put anything up at any price and keep your fingers crossed. no loss but listing time. >>

And you can press about three keys and list it again for free when it doesn't sell.

• Options
    Thanks for the links. I was only looking for the 2008 plats...
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EBAY absolutely SUCKS for PM Buyers

Agree - best deals are in the AM. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    double post, forum inflation

• Options

<< <i>EBAY absolutely SUCKS for PM Buyers >>

<< <i>Agree - best deals are in the AM. image >>

Good one. Early bird gets the golden worm.

I sympathize and agree with the OP, but this is not a problem exclusive to bullion. Most other non-numismatic items I search usually have dreamers as sellers. Still, I do a lot of shopping on ebay for many things because there seems to always be a seller who does not have his head in the clouds. It boils down to how serious a seller wants to make a sale. Ya gotta just ignore the dreamers.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Then buy from Apmex. >>

Oh you can count on it. Casman asks for links, so I provided a couple. >>

Yes, so while there are wide spreads Ebay does have it's gems, here's the "same" coin, PCGS First Strike 70 sold on ebay for $510 w/free shipping.

Some people don't like to wait with auctions and simply buy whatever they want. Think of it this way, I bought some shoes, and didn't check post purchase to see if I could have bought them for less somewhere else, nor did I check the newspaper to see if they had ever went on sale or if there was a coupon, or to see which store sold them for the most.

The spreads for cars are even higher...but some people search across all dealerships and even other states for the best deals...And what is the solution??? I certainly would never advocate price controls for luxury items such as coins.

$510 PCGS FS MS70
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1458 EBAY

$828 IDENTICAL AT APMEX

IDENTICAL >>

Those are not the same coins at all.. Check the reverses. That burnished "W" Ebay $1458 coin is the lowest minted platium coin, all finishes, all denomations at 2,253. The other bullion coin has a mintage of 14,000.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>

ATTEMPTED THEFT

AND HE ONLY WANTS $50 SHIPPING. >>

all replica bullion is also banned from ebay. this can be reported for removal. >>

just noticed these are from Australia.

I don't know if the listing requirements are different for different countries, but I've had no success asking eBay to remove replica bullion sold outside the USA.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    $1295 at APMEX Text

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>So is that how you go about life. When you see someone committing blatant attempted theft you are just happy that you didn't fall victim. >>

I'm not commenting on someone committing blatant attempted theft. I didn't even see that post, as I was writing my own at the time. I'm commenting on someone doing something they know is not going to provide the results desired and then complaining about it. How did I know you'd do that? Just a guess. image
  • Options

<< <i>$1295 at APMEX Text >>

1/2 oz proof platinum

• Options

<< <i>

1/2 oz proof platinum >>

Better year

Here it is on Ebay for $100 less. 14 day return, free shipping and CC thru Paypal.

Text
  • Options

Actually only $1,199.00 with free shippingimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Actually only $1,199.00 with free shippingimage >>

$1175 now, with free shipping.

The Ebay seller appears to be motivated.

• Options
    Any one read the listing for that NGC coin in the post it is cert#001 and is a burnished one and as such being that it is top for the grade and could be the best know one a premium is warranted. I just went on ampx and found many over the 1000.00 mark so what? Please compair apples to apples a burnished coin pulls more money than a low for the grade unburnished coin, look at what you are comparing.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Alrighty then.

Did you notice that one is the 2008-"W" while the other is just the bullion coin?

Just wondering..............
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    There haven't been good deals on ebay since they stopped the live.com rebates.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell plenty of Proof Platinum coins on ebay for what I believe to be fair prices (as well as on the BST board). For example, I have a 2000-W $100 Platinum on ebay right now in PCGS-PR70DCAM at $2,325 OBO. How overpriced can the coin be with even raw $100 proof platinum worth about $1,700/oz. or even more these days? I do see someone else asking $3,988 at the same time for this coin on ebay. But, there are plenty of "fair deals" on ebay if one looks hard enough. I spent a great deal of money on ebay in 2013 so I know the coins do show up there at fair prices.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>$1458 EBAY

$828 IDENTICAL AT APMEX

IDENTICAL >>

Except for the mint mark. Right?

Even the reverse are different.....................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Not all bullion is the same image >>

Post of the week...in it's own subtle way. I'm afraid that the point ( if there was one) was not generally understood image
  • Options

<< <i>I sell plenty of Proof Platinum coins on ebay for what I believe to be fair prices (as well as on the BST board). For example, I have a 2000-W $100 Platinum on ebay right now in PCGS-PR70DCAM at $2,325 OBO. How overpriced can the coin be with even raw $100 proof platinum worth about $1,700/oz. or even more these days? I do see someone else asking $3,988 at the same time for this coin on ebay. But, there are plenty of "fair deals" on ebay if one looks hard enough. I spent a great deal of money on ebay in 2013 so I know the coins do show up there at fair prices.

Wondercoin >>

I think the OP has gotten himself all worked up over comparing apples to oranges since its obvious that, at this point, he cannot see the obvious differences in the coins he linking.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file