Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

!955 Doubled Die would this straight grade at PCGS new pic

Would this cent straight grade or get a details grade because of the scratch in the field?

imageimage

Coin in question Reference pic PCGS AU58

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't. The scratch is very visible and is a major negative.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight grade doubtful.
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    This was the PCGS image I was using as a comparison as it has an obvious scratch and decent rim ding and is graded straight AU58

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want either

It looks like the op is already holdered. Did it bag?

Where did you find the au58 image?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    It is in a holder but not PCGS or NGC its AN other holder which is why I am asking.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was the PCGS image I was using as a comparison as it has an obvious scratch and decent rim ding and is graded straight AU58

image >>

I'm not sure it's obvious. That could be lighting making it look bad, or it could be a non-scratch mark of some sort. Can't tell from the image. The rim hit doesn't look great from the image, but at scale, it might be pretty minor, too. Those kinds of hits often get graded. The scratch in the coin in the OP looks more severe to me, as well as more noticeable. I'd say it should no-grade.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    That is why I added the pic in the first post at the same size as it is easier to see.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Submit it and see as you have nothing to lose.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scratch is not good, but not my biggest concern. I do not like that fingerprint which looks like someone may have tried to lighten up at some time in this coins history. The high points on the check and chin have the tone associated with removed PVC. Leave it in the holder it is in unless you prefer a Details grade.

Not a bad coin by any means as the 55 DDO's are cool in just about any condition. But this one is not a crack-out candidate IMHO.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    But don't submit in the holder. Crack out.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scratch is not good, but not my biggest concern. I do not like that fingerprint which looks like someone may have tried to lighten up at some time in this coins history. The high points on the check and chin have the tone associated with removed PVC. Leave it in the holder it is in unless you prefer a Details grade.

Not a bad coin by any means as the 55 DDO's are cool in just about any condition. But this one is not a crack-out candidate IMHO. >>

I'm pretty sure PCGS uses a database to see if the coin was crossed before. No proof of this, but my experience tells me because I've sent coins in holders 5 years apart and get the exact same result back.

So crack it out! Always!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>I wouldn't want either<<<

+1
  • Options
    Well I will think on this some more before deciding.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>I wouldn't want either<<<

+1 >>

I'll take them both…. Call me a scavenger. Go on, now. image
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Just my humble opinion......

The top pic scratch looks new which I feel will keep it out of a problem free holder.

The bottom pic scratch looks old which is why I feel they let it slide.

It could just be a lighting issue ???

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would this cent straight grade or get a details grade because of the scratch in the field? >>

Details.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it will grade, it could be the lighting, but the color doesn't look right, and the scratch is much thicker than the PCGS coin.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be just the lighting but the color looks off, the scratch alone is questionable but in combination with the color I do not think it would grade at either service.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it will grade, it could be the lighting, but the color doesn't look right, and the scratch is much thicker than the PCGS coin. >>

The top is LIC's the bottom image is a PCGS CoinFacts AU58 he posted for comparison.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think it will grade, it could be the lighting, but the color doesn't look right, and the scratch is much thicker than the PCGS coin. >>

The top is LIC's the bottom image is a PCGS CoinFacts AU58 he posted for comparison. >>

Thanks, but I understood that so perhaps I didn't state my opinion very clearly - I was just comparing the scratch on the OP's coin to the PCGS graded coin and was giving the scratch thickness as a reason why his coin may not grade.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The top is LIC's the bottom image is a PCGS CoinFacts AU58 he posted for comparison. >>

Thanks, but I understood that so perhaps I didn't state my opinion very clearly - I was just comparing the scratch on the OP's coin to the PCGS graded coin and was giving the scratch thickness as a reason why his coin may not grade. >>

You must have edited your sentence just as I was getting ready to quote as it's now completely different and just made me feel like I was in the twilight zone! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file